British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Archers listeners in aussie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/archers-listeners-aussie-197275/)

evorobin Dec 17th 2003 12:31 am

Archers listeners in aussie

Do you exist? And if you do what sort of person are you?

The reason I ask is I dont imagine the average fan being a twentysomething really...I was brought up with my parents being fans which may have been a product of their parents I'm not sure. What turned you onto the archers and at what age did you start to listen?

On the archers website someone said there is only 3 listeners in Australia they know of, seems a bit sad. There must be atleast 15, one for every year of davvid and ruth's wedded bliss:D

ARCHERS

BookBear Dec 17th 2003 4:25 am

Re: Archers listeners in aussie

Originally posted by evorobin

The reason I ask is I dont imagine the average fan being a twentysomething really...I was brought up with my parents being fans which may have been a product of their parents I'm not sure. What turned you onto the archers and at what age did you start to listen?

On the archers website someone said there is only 3 listeners in Australia they know of, seems a bit sad. There must be atleast 15, one for every year of davvid and ruth's wedded bliss:D

ARCHERS
I used to listen in England because Radio 4 was on most of the time at home. Most of my family are listeners, especially my Aunt who moved from a farm to London in the 70's.

So, I'm afraid I'm not one of the few listeners in Aussie.

I would agree, I expect most listeners to be over 35.

ABCDiamond Dec 17th 2003 4:50 am

Originally posted by Nara
I used to listen in England because Radio 4 was on most of the time at home. Most of my family are listeners, especially my Aunt who moved from a farm to London in the 70's.

So, I'm afraid I'm not one of the few listeners in Aussie.

I would agree, I expect most listeners to be over 35.
Well over 35 I would say :) I'm 51, and I would much prefer Video Hits /MTV etc. I think I can recall hearing the Archers at my Grandparents :D ages ago !

migrantoz Dec 17th 2003 6:25 am

I am 39 and I hate the Archers simply because of the theme tune. When it came on as a young child of about 5, it was the signal that it was my bedtime. That was at 7pm, so I can tell you that it either started or finished at 7pm in the late 1960s.

The Archers tune makes me shudder even now.

evorobin Dec 17th 2003 6:58 am

Originally posted by migrantoz
I am 39 and I hate the Archers simply because of the theme tune. When it came on as a young child of about 5, it was the signal that it was my bedtime. That was at 7pm, so I can tell you that it either started or finished at 7pm in the late 1960s.

Well could you shudder a bit more quietly in future please.

Why does a thread about the archers bring out the ******* that don't even listen to the programme..?

CHnJ Dec 17th 2003 7:49 am

I asked if anyone was listening to R4 by dial-up last week and no-one answered. I must confess that I want to know if it gives a reliable stream for about 15 minutes .. especially about 7PMish GMT ... not that I want to, you understand, just nice to know I could ...

CHnJ Dec 17th 2003 7:50 am

Originally posted by migrantoz

I like Billy Connoly's idea that we're crap at sports because of our national anthem and should change it to the Archer's theme!

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 8:10 am

Originally posted by CHnJ
I asked if anyone was listening to R4 by dial-up last week and no-one answered. I must confess that I want to know if it gives a reliable stream for about 15 minutes .. especially about 7PMish GMT ... not that I want to, you understand, just nice to know I could ...
I cannot stand real player so I give the Beeb a miss. A shame but at least X FM is on Media player.

CHnJ Dec 17th 2003 8:30 am

Originally posted by bondipom
I cannot stand real player so I give the Beeb a miss. A shame but at least X FM is on Media player.
How come? Streams sound the same to me on either. I have kept a very old version of Real Player though as it is much less like Spyware/Adware/Bloatware, is that what you mean? I probably still have the install .exe if you want it.

evorobin Dec 17th 2003 9:01 am

How come? Streams sound the same to me on either.
I prefer to use real player than WMP personally

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 9:10 am

How come? Streams sound the same to me on either. I have kept a very old version of Real Player though as it is much less like Spyware/Adware/Bloatware, is that what you mean? I probably still have the install .exe if you want it.
Yes that is what I mean. All that crap makes it unstable.

sjn2003 Dec 17th 2003 9:23 am

My wife listens to the archers and she is 31 and will no doubt make it 4 listeners when we finally get to Oz. Personally, I cannot stand the pointless soap drivel !!

jeannie Dec 18th 2003 5:01 am

Originally posted by evorobin

ARCHERS

I am amazed..... been away from England for 40 years we always used listen to the ARCHERS I can not believe they are still on I am blown away......:D

dracupg Dec 18th 2003 11:48 pm

I, or rather my partner is a rabid Archers fan. I have been recording the Omnibus editions from the Internet for the last few months.

I use Kazaa quite a lot and they are shared on my PC. If you use Kazaa, search for audio files with “Archer Omnibus�, Artist “BBC� and it should pick them up. As I am not a supernode, you may have to keep the search running for a while. My upload speed is only 128kbps, and they are about 20-40Mb each.

Alternatively I could post them to a newsgroup, but unless you use Easynews or another provider that doesn’t set stupid limits on binaries newsgroups, you will have problems getting all the sections of the files.

Send me a prepaid disk mailer and blank CD-R(s) and I will burn them to CD for anyone that is interested. Assuming here that there won’t be that many requests! Better still, send me blank DVD-R, and you can probably get all of them on one DVD.