British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   AQIS vs M&S Christmas Pudding - Who will win? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aqis-vs-m-s-christmas-pudding-who-will-win-633273/)

lonndongeek Sep 30th 2009 8:09 am

AQIS vs M&S Christmas Pudding - Who will win?

Some friends are coming over from the UK in a few weeks and have asked if we want them to bring anything over. The lady of the house wants an M&S christmas pudding.

Given that all known life is likely to have been processed out of any fruit/nuts in the pudding, does anybody know whether AQIS are likely to throw it away when declared?

According to Googlefight, the Christmas pudding would win but I was wondering if anybody has managed to bring a shop-bought, sealed christmas pudding through quarantine without any problems?

Thanks

Steve

NickyC Sep 30th 2009 9:50 am

Re: AQIS vs M&S Christmas Pudding - Who will win?

Well you can buy all sorts of UK-made, imported (and expensive) Xmas puddings in the shops here (Fortnum and Mason, Duchy Originals and their ilk) so AQIS obviously allow them in for sale.

I'd have thought that it would follow that they would also allow similar single puddings to be brought in by individuals. :unsure:

sr71 Sep 30th 2009 9:58 am

I've sent loads over to family to Aus and NZ from the UK - never had a problem

If there are any going begging........ :).

cj321 Sep 30th 2009 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lonndongeek (Post 7976897)
I was wondering if anybody has managed to bring a shop-bought, sealed christmas pudding through quarantine without any problems?

Thanks

Steve

Should be fine, we had one brought to Perth last year. :thumbup:

Gems Sep 30th 2009 10:57 am

I used to fly with mince pies,xmas cake and xmas pudding into another overseas country every winter for four years. They didnt sell Western things like that, and hubby couldnt go without.

It wasnt Australia but customs never cared.

Gems

njk435 Sep 30th 2009 11:11 am

Using the "icon" database from the AQIS site, I reckon you have a fair chance of getting it in.

Link to ICON: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...eryType=Search

andreak Sep 30th 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by lonndongeek (Post 7976897)
Some friends are coming over from the UK in a few weeks and have asked if we want them to bring anything over. The lady of the house wants an M&S christmas pudding.

Given that all known life is likely to have been processed out of any fruit/nuts in the pudding, does anybody know whether AQIS are likely to throw it away when declared?

According to Googlefight, the Christmas pudding would win but I was wondering if anybody has managed to bring a shop-bought, sealed christmas pudding through quarantine without any problems?

Thanks

Steve

Yes I have several times and Costco Glenfidich Mince Pies (yummy) all declare on the ticket ~ had no problems.

James516 Oct 1st 2009 5:16 am

Best not to take too many risks so they should not declare it and instead hide it in their luggage and keep schtum.

comet555 Oct 1st 2009 6:12 am

I have no idea but as long as they declare it they'll be fine. Once declared they either get to keep it or they'll throw it out. If they don't declare and get caught then they could be fined. Make sure to keep it in the original packaging.

So declare it and hopefully it'll get through, sounds like it probably will though.

Katherined0 Oct 1st 2009 6:47 am

Another vote for the xmas pudding!

Great idea. I'm going to get my mum to bring one over for me!

You have just made my xmas :thumbup:

Dorothy Oct 1st 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by James516 (Post 7979709)
Best not to take too many risks so they should not declare it and instead hide it in their luggage and keep schtum.

Or fill your boogie board with them and then when you get caught say you didn't know it was there and must have been set up.

James516 Oct 1st 2009 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7979944)
Or fill your boogie board with them and then when you get caught say you didn't know it was there and must have been set up.

:-) Damn baggage handlers

chilliman Oct 1st 2009 8:22 am

Taken Xmas Pud & custard powder over every year I have been at my folks in Xmas - no worries at all! :thumbup:

rab Oct 1st 2009 12:33 pm

You can buy Christmas Puddings here.

Just say it's from M&S and spend your time importing unique UK items.

We can buy real Weetabix here now in Coles (albeit at 4 quid a box) so life is OK these days....

Red_V_Roger Oct 8th 2009 2:24 am

Bring it and declare it.

Yesterday I brought in:

Paxo Stuffing Mix
Bisto Gravy Powder

And Chip Shop Curry Powder (yum yum) having them for my tea tonight.:D