Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AQIS hold bear to ransom

AQIS hold bear to ransom

Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default AQIS hold bear to ransom

We took delivery of nearly all our air-freight shipment yesterday. Luckily we had a warning that my 54 year old teddy bear was being held hostage. We've paid the $100 ransom to get him fumigated and released but i'm worried about the stress he's going through. A 53 year old panda in the same shipment escaped detention but had a 10cm hole in his back where his stuffing was checked. He had been very neatly unstitched and had some sort of straw stuffing (unknown to me) but apparently didn't pose a threat to the Australian environment.

Apart from that, anything marked 'packed by owner' had been opened, as had most of the rest (computers and files). One box untouched was the one with the printer in it. We had actually declared this because it was less than a year old, but they neither looked nor charged us!

The panda is now convalescing after being restitched.

Lesley
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AQIS hold bear to ransom

Originally posted by lesleys
We took delivery of nearly all our air-freight shipment yesterday. Luckily we had a warning that my 54 year old teddy bear was being held hostage. We've paid the $100 ransom to get him fumigated and released but i'm worried about the stress he's going through. A 53 year old panda in the same shipment escaped detention but had a 10cm hole in his back where his stuffing was checked. He had been very neatly unstitched and had some sort of straw stuffing (unknown to me) but apparently didn't pose a threat to the Australian environment.

Apart from that, anything marked 'packed by owner' had been opened, as had most of the rest (computers and files). One box untouched was the one with the printer in it. We had actually declared this because it was less than a year old, but they neither looked nor charged us!

The panda is now convalescing after being restitched.

Lesley
plenty of bear hugs and he'll be right

I'd check that the panda still has both kidneys too
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
plenty of bear hugs and he'll be right

I'd check that the panda still has both kidneys too
Lesley
Hope that the pandasoon recovers

Did you get a car yet by the way?

Debs
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
Lesley
Hope that the pandasoon recovers

Did you get a car yet by the way?

Debs
Hi Debs,

The panda is sitting on the settee watching The Simpsons so I think he's OK now.

Yes we did get the car in Southport. We went for the Mazda 3 and managed to get about $1000 off the list price. We tried the discountnewcars.com.au website but they just put us in touch with the same garage!

One niggle - after we'd established there were no extras we wanted on the car and we'd signed and agreed the price, they passed us onto another persson who immediately produced a completley different list of optional 'care options' for the car. Such things as tinted windows/sound insulation/paintwork sealing etc etc. Why they couldn't mention this lot up-front is anybody's guess

At over $400 per 'option' it made a mockery of the original budgeting and bargaining. We went for the tinted windows but didn't feel like spending any more even if we wanted to.

The RACQ deserve nothing but praise. They recognised our UK membership but Australian membership was less than half price for the same thing. Insurance (with no-claims evidence in hand) took about 5 minutes and set us back $500. Somewhat less than it would have been in theUK.

Hope you're getting settled in now. Have you got a hotel or whatever to manage? Bet it's different from Turkey.

Lesley
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by lesleys
Hi Debs,

The panda is sitting on the settee watching The Simpsons so I think he's OK now.

Yes we did get the car in Southport. We went for the Mazda 3 and managed to get about $1000 off the list price. We tried the discountnewcars.com.au website but they just put us in touch with the same garage!

One niggle - after we'd established there were no extras we wanted on the car and we'd signed and agreed the price, they passed us onto another persson who immediately produced a completley different list of optional 'care options' for the car. Such things as tinted windows/sound insulation/paintwork sealing etc etc. Why they couldn't mention this lot up-front is anybody's guess

At over $400 per 'option' it made a mockery of the original budgeting and bargaining. We went for the tinted windows but didn't feel like spending any more even if we wanted to.

The RACQ deserve nothing but praise. They recognised our UK membership but Australian membership was less than half price for the same thing. Insurance (with no-claims evidence in hand) took about 5 minutes and set us back $500. Somewhat less than it would have been in theUK.

Hope you're getting settled in now. Have you got a hotel or whatever to manage? Bet it's different from Turkey.

Lesley
Lesley
We are still here - we arrive on the gold coast on 5 October so we have a few weeks left until we go. I am going back to the UK in August to visit my family to say my goodbyes.

See you in October.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh poor Panda, I've told all my teddies about his ordeal and they all send hugs!
My largest one was savaged by AQIS as well. they cut open all the stitching down his back, which is odd as he's not an old bar at all. My ancient Panda was brought over as hand-luggage by my best mate, so he had a really easy ride.
How is the one being held for fumigation? Should we send cards and grapes?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:17 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

FREE THE POMMIE BEAR ONE!!

Has AQIS no shame, seperating an elderly bear from his family? I am surprised the media haven't picked up on this.

Tell him that messages of support are flooding in and Terry Waite is on his way to negotiate!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, its disgraceful the way these poor bears get picked on!
We should march on AQIS and release all hostages!!!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:22 am
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Hi Lesley, who did your shipping..?

We are in the process of choosing a shipper
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Any truth in the rumour that Panda had a couple of black eyes when you got him back ??
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
Any truth in the rumour that Panda had a couple of black eyes when you got him back ??
PMSL
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hee-Hee!!!
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

He's been through enough already so I'm not going to let him see this.

John Mason did the shipping - 300kg of air freight (40ft container currently in Brisbane). Company called OSS dealt with it at this end. Can't fault John Mason.

Teddy will be couriered to us when negotiations with AQIS are concluded. OSS have been most sympathetic.

Lesley

PS Panda (Ming to his friends, such as you) says thanks for all your good wishes.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Hope OSS were good - they were pretty on the ball with my stuff (got the feeling they were trying to make up for the horrendous job ***** ******** did); they even removed packing stuff (which i hadn't paid them to do).

Some friends wanted to stop by and pass on their best wishes to Ming the Panda by the way -

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:58 am.