British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Approx 3/4 hour commute to SYD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/approx-3-4-hour-commute-syd-744932/)

NELBHOY Jan 14th 2012 11:26 am

Approx 3/4 hour commute to SYD

Does anybody know of any decent areas to stay within 45 mins commute to SYD Airport? Top of budget is $500 - 550K, although we would be renting initially. We have 2 small kids of school age.
And yes I know "decent" is a relative term;). Thanks in advance.

DC10 Jan 14th 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Approx 3/4 hour commute to SYD

Consider Carlton, especially the western side of the railway line. A nice quiet family friendly area. Its proximity to not-so-nice suburbs keeps prices relatively low.

Wol Jan 15th 2012 1:20 am

Careful when looking at commute times: we are "officially" an hour South West of SYD but in practice at the very least 1½ hours away and during rush times more than that.

Red_V_Roger Jan 15th 2012 5:30 am

Sutherland Shire and train it in....

NELBHOY Jan 18th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 9842758)
Sutherland Shire and train it in....

Thanks for replies everybody. Had a look at train from Sutherland to airport via central and commute time only about 40 mins. Housing seems quite pricey in Sutherland though.

DC10 Jan 18th 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by NELBHOY (Post 9850222)
Housing seems quite pricey in Sutherland though.

Welcome to Sydney (and Australia for that matter).

Sutherland is probably as affordable a (relatively) "nice" area as you'll find.

Swerv-o Jan 18th 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks for replies everybody. Had a look at train from Sutherland to airport via central and commute time only about 40 mins. Housing seems quite pricey in Sutherland though.

You won't find much for less than that that close to the city.

S

Beoz Jan 19th 2012 12:09 am

Try this - Sutherland - Wolli Creek - Airport. Take Central out of the loop and make sure you're white :(

paddyo Jan 19th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by NELBHOY (Post 9841725)
Does anybody know of any decent areas to stay within 45 mins commute to SYD Airport? Top of budget is $500 - 550K, although we would be renting initially. We have 2 small kids of school age.
And yes I know "decent" is a relative term;). Thanks in advance.

I reckon south/south west is your best bet.

Try looking along the route from Engadine onwards towards the airport. Also have a look at Padstow...nothing like the UK version but can be reasonable house prices.
I live 1hr30mins from the CBD and my rent is $550 pw.......half decent houses are around the $600k+ mark. The cost of housing in the Sydney metropolitan area is extortionate for a first time buyer here, even with equity from the UK, I am loathe to buy right now as I just don't see any value for money.
Of course I could end up being priced out completely but I would rather keep my house in UK as the investment and rent a decent place here in an area I want to live then settle for a fibro/weatherboard shithole just to get on the ladder.

Beoz Jan 19th 2012 1:07 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 9851389)
Of course I could end up being priced out completely but I would rather keep my house in UK as the investment and rent a decent place here in an area I want to live then settle for a fibro/weatherboard shithole just to get on the ladder.

I couldn't agree more.

saveme Jan 19th 2012 5:54 am

Maybe around Revesby/Panania which is on the East Hills line so goes through the airport. Not sure if the price range will be suitable, perhaps if you go for an older style fibro home.