Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Approved for citizenship staight after test

Approved for citizenship staight after test

Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Default Approved for citizenship staight after test

I sat my citizenship test on Friday morning and got 95%, i lodged my application there and then and was approved within a couple of minutes!!

He also told me that i am the 109th person on the waiting list at my local council for the ceremony, I phoned the council when i got home and was told they do 110 people per ceremony so i should be on the next one in July.

Just waiting for the paperwork now!!!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

sunny9208 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Approved for citizenship staight after test

which test, what was the questions in test

bye
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
I sat my citizenship test on Friday morning and got 95%, i lodged my application there and then and was approved within a couple of minutes!!

He also told me that i am the 109th person on the waiting list at my local council for the ceremony, I phoned the council when i got home and was told they do 110 people per ceremony so i should be on the next one in July.

Yup people generally get told immediately if all their paperwork is in order and they pass the test. Hope you get the next test but don't be too disappointed if you don't. Depends if they get the approval and invitation letters out in time.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Was told by immigration cannot class ourselves as a Australian Citizens until we have sworn the Australian Oath.
Still awaiting ceremony date
Test is free but pass mark is changing from 60% to 70% or 75% pass rate.
Ceremony cost going up to $260
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Was told by immigration cannot class ourselves as a Australian Citizens until we have sworn the Australian Oath.
That is the law.

Still awaiting ceremony date
Test is free but pass mark is changing from 60% to 70% or 75% pass rate.
Ceremony cost going up to $260
There is no specific "ceremony cost".
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the $240 was the general application fee cost that included the processing of the application as well as the ceremony.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:01 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

I never paid for my ceremony. As I understand it, the citizenship fee covers the ceremony fee. My shire has ceremonies every 2 months so didn't have to wait too long for my ceremony to become a citizen!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mandyisere

Wow! That was quick.

My citizenship application got approved on 10th June and am on the blower now to DIAC to ask if they can tell me how far down the line I am in my council area, to take the pledge!

Update1: Seems there's about 60 people ahead of me in my council area, waiting to take the pledge. The person I spoke to at DIAC seemed to indicate that I should receive communication regarding attending the ceremony real soon.

Last edited by ColonialCousin; Jun 16th 2009 at 6:22 am. Reason: Update1
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know do I have to wait till the date I have been here four years and then submit the papers? or can I get them in a bit earlier?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Does anyone know do I have to wait till the date I have been here four years and then submit the papers? or can I get them in a bit earlier?
pompeyblonde as far as I am aware, you can sit for the test anytime you want but can only submit your application after you've met the residence requirements.

Also, I think, the test results are only valid for 12 months, so you need to submit your application for naturalization within 12 months of having passed the test.

Last edited by ColonialCousin; Jun 16th 2009 at 6:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:05 am
roh
Just Joined

roh is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
which council have you applied for, could you help me who would be the best person to contact rgarding the waiting list
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:41 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. My wife and I both passed 100% and were also approved the same day, got the letter a few days later and have our ceremony on 1st July less than 6 weeks after the test.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roh
hi,
which council have you applied for, could you help me who would be the best person to contact rgarding the waiting list
hi roh,

I called up DIAC and quoted the reference number included in my citizenship application approval letter. Had a nice chat with the person at the other end and asked him casually if he was able to look up the number of people waiting for the ceremony in my council area. He was able to look it up for me (though it sounded as though they don't do that all so often, cos his first reply was "we'll inform you of the ceremony date") and tell me the number of people waiting to take pledge in my local government area.

Then it was just a matter of calling up the city council and asking how many new citizens usually attend each ceremony.

Cheers!