Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Appreciate your opinions?

Appreciate your opinions?

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Appreciate your opinions?

As you all know, we have been here 6 months and have done up a business and are trading and doing very well in Rockingham.

Today, hubby had a phone call from a Real estate agent telling us that someone had expressed an interest in our business 'Stones Throw' and would we be interested in selling. He said that he would have to speak to me and we wouldn't be selling for silly money, there would have to be a good deal on the table.

What would you do in this situation?

Remember, we are here on a 457 IE and would have to start again, but if the money was good, would it be worth the risk?

Would love to have some views from yee all.

Whisky
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:37 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Appreciate your opinions?

Originally posted by whisky
As you all know, we have been here 6 months and have done up a business and are trading and doing very well in Rockingham.

Today, hubby had a phone call from a Real estate agent telling us that someone had expressed an interest in our business 'Stones Throw' and would we be interested in selling. He said that he would have to speak to me and we wouldn't be selling for silly money, there would have to be a good deal on the table.

Remember, we are here on a 457 IE and would have to start again, but if the money was good, would it be worth the risk?

Whisky
Hi Whisky,

You have to look into your heart and see if you are happy with your current business. Reading many of your posts on this forum, I was under impression that you were quite happy with the "Stones Throw" and the way thinks worked out for you guys.

Good money is still just money and it will not make you feel good if you left your heart behind in your restaurant.

I wish you all the best in whatever you do.

Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Mary says:

You've obviously got a winning formula if somebody's interested. Stick with it, get your visa and then sell. Otherwise you'll have to go through the whole process of buying a business again.

You never know, you may be able to turn the business into a franchise and make your money that way.

Alan

Psst. How much are you asking?
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:38 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Whisky
I guess you have to work out if you can face starting again, however good the money is. And you've only been running for 6 months - in another 6 months (of feeding expats from this site, perhaps!) your business could be even bigger and better and sell for even more money.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:48 am
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need ot know if the offer is too good to refuse...if it is, take it and go elsewhere. You obviously have great talent in making a good business, so i am sure you could succeed wherever you go.
You would also be in a better position financially, if the offer is good enough
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

I agree with Cadabra, see how much they are prepared to pay.

You don't need to sell, therefore you can Go For Gold !!

I had a business that I wasn't intending to sell, but the offer I got was too good to refuse, so i sold.
Now i'm retired But I can do the same again if I want to
(and given time I probably will )

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Still mulling it over, but keep wishing for big dollar signs now.
I think that if the 'Price is right' we would take the gamble, but if they are talking incy wincy dollar signs then we would hang on to our little place.
I will let you all know what happens.

Whisky
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone. Still mulling it over, but keep wishing for big dollar signs now.
I think that if the 'Price is right' we would take the gamble, but if they are talking incy wincy dollar signs then we would hang on to our little place.

Whisky
remember why you started the business, remember your dream, if you sell the business you could be throwing away your dream. Forget the money, remember the dream.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant future

Hello Whisky! I have had a bowl of chips in your establishment and didn't even know it! We were over in Perth for the first 3 weeks in Jan and went to Rockingham for a drive.......must say its a beautiful place to sit and have a beer! Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tina, I get a lot of people say what a nice place it is, and I feel quite proud that the decor and furnishings were all my own idea.

Whisky
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Whisky
I'd stick with it for a while. Thinking of the capital gains tax, then the hassle of finding a new business that fulfills the 457 IE visa, plus stamp duty and fees. There will be more offers further down the track, I'm sure. We get hounded by the agents for us to sell.

Zebra
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:00 pm
Go Banana's !!

Whisky

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Wait 'til at least the Bananas have been !!!

Jill

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:47 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, if you sold up what would you do? Would you want to stay in the same type of business, if so where, would it be in competition to your current business, would it be as convient location from where you live? Could you find a suitable business size/ price wise with suitable or potential turnover/profitablity and in a suitable timeframe?

What factors make your current one a success - can you translate them to a new business?

A figure could be v tempting, but does it reflect the increase in goodwill you have added to the business in the last 6 mths, general price rise of commercial properties. If it does and you can find another suitable business (which I assume you need to keep your visa) then go for it, but IMHO it is a big ask to find a suitable business when your visa is at risk especially if 'Stones Throw' can meet the visa criteria.

All the best with whatever you decide
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi whisky,

sit tight...if its in demand now, it'll probably be in demand at a later date...don't be dazzled with $'s.......get yourselves settled, get yourselves established and reap the rewards later......

Good luck and enjoy what you have, don't go chasing the " It could be EVEN better ", be happy with what you have.

Best wishes,
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:46 pm
Go Banana's !!

Thanks Tina, I get a lot of people say what a nice place it is, and I feel quite proud that the decor and furnishings were all my own idea.

Whisky

Hi Whiskey,

For once in a while I can get a word in as Jill has gone out for a girlie night in Newcastle !!

Firsly, well done on getting this far and making it a success. Your early posts were great and a real inspiration to many at the time (cheesey moment).

For what its worth I wouldn't do it. Concentrate on growing it and getting a good couple of years accounts under your belt (not forgetting the Visa !!) and then see what happens.

Besides, as Jill said earlier, we promised to come and see you !

Good luck with the decision although I suspect you know what to do deep down

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.