Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for university in Aus

Applying for university in Aus

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Question Applying for university in Aus

Hi

We are hoping to move to melbourne in Summer 2006. We have 3 teenagers who will have completed their education here by then (ie 'levels or equivalent year 13 exams).

They all hope to go to Uni - the same year.

I believe the Uni year will start end Jan/bgn Feb - so they hope to get into the 2007 intake.

1) Does anyone know how/when to apply for Uni in Aus. I believe that here you apply about a year in advance - is it the same there?

2) Any ideas of websites or where we can obtain info on Unis/courses?

3) Are our year 13 qualifications acceptable?

4) Would we be at a disadvantage, as would not yet be Aus citizens? ( have already validated our visas)

5) Any idea how costs, tuition fees etc compare to the UK?

6) We heard rather worringly that a lot of eligable students did not get into Uni this year - is it over subscribed? (As here, if you get the qualifications you can usually get in somewhere, if not your first choice).

7) Would you need to visit tobe given a place, or would they offer on the basis of your references, education etc here?

Any advice gratefully received - we don't want to make the move and jepordise their future career prospects?

Thanks
Lis
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:40 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Applying for university in Aus

Hi Liz,

This is a good link even though it's aimed at people studying abroad in Australia, it has a good search bit which lists uni's and courses.
http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/sia/splash.htm

Also try this link to the Australian government website for education.
http://www.education.gov.au/goved/go/pid/18

Good Luck
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

Thanks BKate for your help - will try these websites.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/admissions/

Might be worth a look to.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.det.vic.gov.au/det/

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/default.htm
this might help with qualification recognition.

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lissysarah
Hi

We are hoping to move to melbourne in Summer 2006. We have 3 teenagers who will have completed their education here by then (ie 'levels or equivalent year 13 exams).

I believe the Uni year will start end Jan/bgn Feb - so they hope to get into the 2007 intake.

1) Does anyone know how/when to apply for Uni in Aus. I believe that here you apply about a year in advance - is it the same there?

4) Would we be at a disadvantage, as would not yet be Aus citizens? ( have already validated our visas)

6) We heard rather worringly that a lot of eligable students did not get into Uni this year - is it over subscribed? (As here, if you get the qualifications you can usually get in somewhere, if not your first choice).

7) Would you need to visit tobe given a place, or would they offer on the basis of your references, education etc here?

Any advice gratefully received - we don't want to make the move and jepordise their future career prospects?

Thanks
Lis
Question 6, I dont think the websites will have answered that.

Unfortunately places are very hard to get, My son applied in 2002 and that year I belive only 30% of applicants got a place. Those who get the places have much higher marks than the course requirements. Contrary to what I have read on here it makes no diff if child comes from private or state school and they are not interviewed its purely on the marks. In QLD for example its called OP for overall positon. Infuriatingly the drop out rate once the courses start is incredibly high, such a shame as majority of kids miss out. Little point - States here are very big, your second choice of UNI may like in QLD be 5-17 hours away which means on top of the fees living away expenses are going to have to be found. My son was lucky he got a place in Toowoomba which is only 3 hours away but living in costs and fees would have been almost $20,000 per year (plus a car). Hes now working and studying part time instead as he was honest enogh to admit he was unlikely to commit 4 years to living in Toowoomba

There are private universities too, we looked at Bond on the Gold coast I remember the figure clearly $45,000 but annoyingly cant remember if that was per year or per course, I'll have a guess it was per course or at least I hope so, it matters not even one lot of $45,000 would be too much for most on aussie wages.

You know its really great to see questions like this on here, real research stuff, good luck to you.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For costs, see http://www.hecs.gov.au

As permanent residents you won't get the full benefit of HECS (you need to be citizens for that) but nor will you be treated as overseas students.

Jeremy

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Lis
Can answer a couple of questions off the top of my head - but I only know the NSW system.

Uni year goes from March to November. In NSW all Uni admissions are processed by the University Admissions Board, which is where you apply to. You apply towards the end of the year before (from about now for 2005) but there's no advantage in applying early. It's not first come, first served. Entry is entirely based on your Year 12 marks which are not published until early December. Once the marks are out, the UAB starts crunching the numbers and offering places.

Marks needed for certain courses very from year to year. It's dependent on the number of places available and the number of people who want them. For example, for years it was dead easy to get into teaching and the required marks were pretty low (lots of places, not many people wanted them). Now its different - lots of people want to do teaching so the cutoff for marks is much higher.

To be able to do any high-demand course you need extremely high marks and competition is fierce. The high-mark achievers each year are listed in the press and the top-scorers even get to have a reception with the Premier!

The UAB will take Year 12 results from sources other than NSW schools. They have a conversion so they know how the 'foreign' results compare with the local ones.

Most courses are offered based on results alone although some do need additional stuff (portfolio, audition, interview).
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

thanks to you all for some great info
Ls