Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby.

Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby.

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby.

Hi all,

Was after some advice and help. Not sure if I am making this more complex than I need to. I'm tired and pregnant and the old brain is working.

Anyways. We have PR status and will be applying for citizenship but that won't come through until after we've travelled to the UK (fingers crossed).

Baby number 3 will be travelling on a Australia passport. I'd like to apply for a UK passport for this child but know that time scales will be tight and there is no need to rush it for our trip back home but I was trying to work out if it is cheaper to apply for the passport whilst in the UK. I can see I need to attend an office in the UK and it will be £81 but I can't seem to work out if I can apply for a 1st child passport in Australia. I thought I read that it takes 3-6 months as the applications are only processed in the UK but then I wondered how much this is going to cost and if I should make the effort to do it whilst we are back in the UK

Does this sound right any help appreciated?

Many Thanks

Poppet
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby.

Our friends applied for one last year. Took about 2 months to get it for their young son.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

Was after some advice and help. Not sure if I am making this more complex than I need to. I'm tired and pregnant and the old brain is working.

Anyways. We have PR status and will be applying for citizenship but that won't come through until after we've travelled to the UK (fingers crossed).

Baby number 3 will be travelling on a Australia passport. I'd like to apply for a UK passport for this child but know that time scales will be tight and there is no need to rush it for our trip back home but I was trying to work out if it is cheaper to apply for the passport whilst in the UK. I can see I need to attend an office in the UK and it will be £81 but I can't seem to work out if I can apply for a 1st child passport in Australia. I thought I read that it takes 3-6 months as the applications are only processed in the UK but then I wondered how much this is going to cost and if I should make the effort to do it whilst we are back in the UK

Does this sound right any help appreciated?

Many Thanks

Poppet
You should read this ............

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We got first British passports for our sons (who were both born in Australia) a couple of years ago.

Applied to Canberra, and it took about a month from memory. It definitely wasn't anything like 3-6 months.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all

Hi
We did this about october time. It was slightly more complicated then at first seemed due to not knowing any one in aus for two plus years. I was advised by Canberra office to send the last page with the photos of bub back to the Uk to get them signed as the person signing has to have known either me or hub for at least two years, even though they were signing to say true likeness for a baby they had never met. Obviously this meant it took longer but from memory after send the completed form off the passport turned up with in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps

Elaine
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:22 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light

We have recently just received our Australian born son's British passport from Canberra.

Whole process took a month - it was easy.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Est
We have recently just received our Australian born son's British passport from Canberra.

Whole process took a month - it was easy.
Excellent. Do you have to send off the Australian passport with it? We would be travelling when baby is 7.5 weeks old so I don't think I want to take the chance of sending off any of our passports if that is needed. I'll look into what is needed to apply and if perhaps do it on our return from UK trip.

Thanks for the responses.

Poppet
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:22 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Do you have to send off the Australian passport with it?
Nah, just child's original birth certificate, mothers original British birth certificate and a certified copy of Australian permanent resident visa.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:04 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Crikey I haven't even thought about any of this for our little one due in April. I just assumed that she would get an Ozzie passport and that would be ok to travel on - isn't it? Why would I need to get a UK one too?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Crikey I haven't even thought about any of this for our little one due in April. I just assumed that she would get an Ozzie passport and that would be ok to travel on - isn't it? Why would I need to get a UK one too?
You don't need to get the newborn a british passport, they can travel fine on their Aussie one (Britain doesn't insist its citizens travel in and out on a UK passport in the same way that Aus does)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:03 am
Est
Forum Regular

Why would I need to get a UK one too?
We just wanted to get little one his British passport for the future - what if they change the rules
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Est
We just wanted to get little one his British passport for the future - what if they change the rules
If child is British automatically at birth (usually - but not always!) then changes in the rules won't matter, but it is more hassle to get a first passport the later you leave it.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:46 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

We took our then 4 month old back on her aussie passport no problems at all
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:11 am
Just Joined

pj_ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby - an extra question

Hello. I have been reading your thread and was inspired to join in and find out more as it is about as close as I could find to my question. I am British, in Australia with PR, my Husband is Dutch also with Australian PR. I was informed today by the Citizenship line that if we had a child in Australia they would become an Australian Citizen automatically.

What I would like to know is, as I am British (mother), could my child become a dual citizen with Britain in the future, get a British passport and also all the rights and perks of being dual such as living, working or studying in the UK?

Sorry if this is a little off the topic!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for UK passport for Australia born baby - an extra question

Originally Posted by pj_ree
Hello. I have been reading your thread and was inspired to join in and find out more as it is about as close as I could find to my question. I am British, in Australia with PR, my Husband is Dutch also with Australian PR. I was informed today by the Citizenship line that if we had a child in Australia they would become an Australian Citizen automatically.

What I would like to know is, as I am British (mother), could my child become a dual citizen with Britain in the future, get a British passport and also all the rights and perks of being dual such as living, working or studying in the UK?
If you were born in the U.K., yes, child will be British.

Baby would also be Dutch - may come in useful if (or when) the recession leads to immigration control coming back in Europe.

Have either or both of you thought about becoming Australian citizens?

Note that it is strongly advisable for children born in Australia to PR parents to have their own citizenship certificate:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.