Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for TFN & Medicare on validation trip

Applying for TFN & Medicare on validation trip

Old May 7th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all
Default Applying for TFN & Medicare on validation trip

I know, another thread about TFN & Medicare...

I intend to validate my visa in the form of a holiday, which will probably be for about 3 weeks and staying in hotel or serviced apartments.

Can I (should I?) sort these things out on this trip, noting where I am likely to be staying and for how long?

Not sure the TFN is such a big deal on this trip, but with regard to Medicare, on DIAC it says "To enrol in Medicare, you should go into a Medicare office 7 to 10 days after your arrival in Australia"

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:51 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for TFN & Medicare on validation trip

Originally Posted by Andy_P
I know, another thread about TFN & Medicare...

I intend to validate my visa in the form of a holiday, which will probably be for about 3 weeks and staying in hotel or serviced apartments.

Can I (should I?) sort these things out on this trip, noting where I am likely to be staying and for how long?

Not sure the TFN is such a big deal on this trip, but with regard to Medicare, on DIAC it says "To enrol in Medicare, you should go into a Medicare office 7 to 10 days after your arrival in Australia"

Thanks for any advice.
Shippers,

Those are the 2 things to most definitely NOT do on a validation trip

have a look at the Visa validation wiki link in the immigration forum
Old May 7th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Easy - just go int the respective offices with an address. I would NOT apply for medicare card now. Its complicated but you have 1 yr from the date you register to take up private health insurance OR you have to pay a loading of 2% for every yr you are over 30. If you understand that you're cleverer than me. Anyway, I cant see what you have to gain by getting on medicare now so don't bother. Tax thing is easy - takes 5 mins

And yes do a search.
Old May 7th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Shippers,

Those are the 2 things to most definitely NOT do on a validation trip

have a look at the Visa validation wiki link in the immigration forum
D'oh!

How the hell did I miss that?
Old May 7th 2011, 7:57 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_P
D'oh!

How the hell did I miss that?
euphoria of getting the visa
Old May 8th 2011, 9:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Do neither. Medicare means you will need private healthcare within 12 months as mentioned above.

Why bother with a Tax File Number and the necessity to do a tax return when your not going to be here ?

Save both until you move here permanently.
Old May 8th 2011, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Do neither. Medicare means you will need private healthcare within 12 months as mentioned above.

Why bother with a Tax File Number and the necessity to do a tax return when your not going to be here ?

Save both until you move here permanently.
Thanks. I have since read the BE Wiki and looked into it a little more.

Moral of the story: Research first, post on BE second.