Reload this Page >

Applying for license aged 17 1/2

Applying for license aged 17 1/2

Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for license aged 17 1/2

Hi there.

I've recently moved to Australia, and currently have a UK provisional license. I've read that I must have held a learner license for 12 months before I can apply for a P1 license. However, does this still apply if I'm over 17 (more than 12 months after I could have held a license here if I'd been living here from 16) or will I still have to hold one for 12 months, when I'll be over 18?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:48 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for license aged 17 1/2

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi there.

I've recently moved to Australia, and currently have a UK provisional license. I've read that I must have held a learner license for 12 months before I can apply for a P1 license. However, does this still apply if I'm over 17 (more than 12 months after I could have held a license here if I'd been living here from 16) or will I still have to hold one for 12 months, when I'll be over 18?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

If you don't hold an UK open/full licence, the general rule of thumb is that you have to start at the learner's stage. More info on where you are going might help narrow down state laws, as being 17+ is guarantee to have an open or even a provisional here. Work on being over 20 before you get the open licence.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We live in Queensland!

Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Your UK provisional licence should be swapped for an Australian Learner licence, and I would guess that the time you have had the UK licence will be taken into account for the total 12 months.

You are not required to complete a logbook or 100 hours of supervised on-road driving if any of the following apply to you:
  • Your learner licence was issued prior to 1 July 2007 and not renewed after 1 July 2007.
  • You have an approved exemption form.
  • You are 25 years of age or older.
  • You are under 25 years of age, hold a foreign provisional or open licence and need a Queensland learner licence before taking a practical driving test.
Source