British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Applying for a driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/applying-driving-licence-544999/)

karenandjason Jun 24th 2008 8:46 pm

Applying for a driving licence

:confused:

I am due to start working as a teacher in WA in Jan 09 on a 457 visa. I have a provisional driving licence in the UK but have failed my test (a few times actually!) Now my theory test has run out!! Does anyone know if I can I apply for a licence in Australia and take my test out there?

Karen

sandav Jun 24th 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Applying for a driving licence

Originally Posted by karenandjason (Post 6499921)
:confused:

I am due to start working as a teacher in WA in Jan 09 on a 457 visa. I have a provisional driving licence in the UK but have failed my test (a few times actually!) Now my theory test has run out!! Does anyone know if I can I apply for a licence in Australia and take my test out there?

Karen

Hi
I am learning to drive out here and you cannot exchange a provisional licence. You will have to do theory test again then get a learners permit and after some driving lessons do a Practical Driving Assessment test. After this you go on to a 25 hour log book if you pass assessment. Then after the 25 hour log book (which on learners permit you must drive with a qualified driver that is someone who has held a licence here for 4 yrs. WA anyway) you do a hazard perception test and if you pass this you get P plates which you are on for 2 years. The theory test and hazard perception test are done on a computer at the licence centre.
I done my assessment yesterday and failed it but not to worry will go back at the end of july and go for it again.
I think thats about it, hope this is some help.

Sandra

By the way I am 45 so feel like a right thick starting to do this now but what the hell. Much easier to drive here than in Dublin.

Bix da Boss Jun 25th 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by sandav (Post 6500322)
Hi

By the way I am 45 so feel like a right thick starting to do this now but what the hell. Much easier to drive here than in Dublin.

Dont worry Sandra - 2 years ago when I passed my test here in lovely Cairns, I was 48!!!!:)

Gill:)

karenandjason Jun 25th 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks for that Sandra. Keep going with the tests, i've failed 3 so far. So thought i'd start again in a different country!!!!

karen

James516 Jun 25th 2008 10:09 pm

It varies wildly from state to state. My wife here in Qld was able to swap her UK provisional for a Qld Learner's Permit for a small charge, and does not need to do the logbook with 100 hours thing and does not need to do a theory test (still has to do the practical test though!). Also, as she is over 25, she will have a shorter time on P plates which will be good.

She failed her test on the UK on the reversing around a corner, which they don't do here anyway - so fingers crossed!

sandav Jun 26th 2008 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss (Post 6500938)
Dont worry Sandra - 2 years ago when I passed my test here in lovely Cairns, I was 48!!!!:)

Gill:)

Thanks for that Gill and I thought I would be the oldest person in Australia on P plates. Not to worry not going to let it get the better of me I am determined more determined than I was home. Hubby thinks he is now married to a different person as he couldnt get me behind the wheel in Ireland now I want to get in and drive every chance I get.
Amazing what a new country does to you.

sandav Jun 26th 2008 3:32 am

Originally Posted by karenandjason (Post 6503482)
Thanks for that Sandra. Keep going with the tests, i've failed 3 so far. So thought i'd start again in a different country!!!!

karen

I am not giving up I seem more determined here and maybe it is the new country thing. But going to keep going. Will let you know how I get on when the next test comes up.

neil_coul Mar 20th 2009 11:17 pm

Hi

I am going to need to do my test in Brisbane,I am over 25 and have a uk provisional license but failed a couple of times.

When I get to Brisbane will I be able to apply to do my test straight away as a friend said i have to have a learners license for a year before I can apply to do my test and get a P2 plate

Any help from anyone who has done it would be really appreciated

thanks

Neil

ABCDiamond Mar 21st 2009 1:40 am

If your UK learner licence was issued before 1 July 2007
You will swap your current Learner licence for a QLD learner licence, and the length of time you have held your overseas learner licence, within the last two years, will count towards the period that you need to hold a learner licence before applying for a QLD Provisional licence.

If your UK learner licence was issued after 1 July 2007
You will be required to meet all other requirements to gain your licence (including 100 hours of on-road driving experience recorded in your logbook and hold your learner licence for a mandatory period of 12 months
Driving experience recorded in an approved logbook from a prescribed country (including the UK) to a maximum of 50 hours can count towards your 100 hours driving experience.

neil_coul Mar 22nd 2009 3:21 pm

Hi

Thanks,My original license was given to me in 2006.The problem i have is it was renewed in 2008 as I get it renewed every three years because of my epilepsy.

Will my license be classed as a 2006 or 2008 license

Thanks for all your help?

Neil

ABCDiamond Mar 22nd 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by neil_coul (Post 7406943)
Hi

Thanks,My original license was given to me in 2006.The problem i have is it was renewed in 2008 as I get it renewed every three years because of my epilepsy.

Will my license be classed as a 2006 or 2008 license

Thanks for all your help?

Neil

They work off the date printed on the licence, do you still have the older one to prove the licence history.

neil_coul Mar 22nd 2009 10:23 pm

No,I might have to get onto the DVLA and ask for a letter saying when i had my license

neil_coul Mar 23rd 2009 8:33 pm

Got an email from queensland driving,I have put it below.

Hello Neil, Thank you for your email regarding the transfer of an overseas Drivers Licence.

If your UK licence does not show the original date of issue please contact the DVLA in UK for a driver record history clearly showing the original date of issue. This time will be included when calculating the tenure period for Queensland.

A Queensland driver licence may be issued to a person holding a current or expired by less than 5 years overseas driver licence. You are not required to transfer your licence over unless you have obtained residency in Australia. If you have residency status, your authority to drive on your overseas licence is withdrawn after 3 months of your residing in Queensland. An applicant must:Be 17 years of age or more,Reside in Queensland, andNot be disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver licence.

A Queensland Drivers Licence can be obtained by visiting a Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre with the following:Produce the overseas drivers licence and a recognised translation if the licence is not written in English;Evidence of Identity as listed on the form. For a full list of acceptable evidence of identity documents, you can visit: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._requirementsA completed Driver Licence Application/ Renewal (form QF3000 attached); A fee of $27.65(1 year), $38.50 (2 year), $49.35 (3 year), $60.20 (4 year) and $71.05 (5 year). You can purchase a drivers licence for any period from 1 to 5 years. Only the following are accepted as a recognised translation:Nationally accredited translator or interpreter (http://www.naati.com.au) or on phone number (07) 3393 1358; Consulate translation:- On official letterhead,- Signed by the Consul-General, and- Stamped with official consulate stamp,Victorian Interpreting and Translating Services LanguageLink (VITS LanguageLink); andThe Community Relations Commission (NSW). Information on your nearest Customer Service Centre is available online by visiting the Queensland Transport website at:http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._us/By_region/ Once an overseas driver licence holder is issued with a Queensland driver licence, you cannot drive in Queensland using your overseas licence.