British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Applying for Drivers License (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/applying-drivers-license-669849/)

krishnaecetech May 26th 2010 4:22 pm

Applying for Drivers License

Hi Folks,

I would like to know how easy is it to get a drivers license(car) in Australia after becoming resident. I have some of my queries listed below.

1) Is there seperate rules for each state for getting a license or is it if a take a license in one particular state is that valid for other states as well.

2) I have my driver license from another country which is four years since it has been issued so can I directly go to take up some p1 or p2 licenses or is it like I need to start again from R -> P1 -> P2 -> Original Australian License.

3) Should we have an own car before we go for the drivers test

Kindly let me know on these

Pollyana May 26th 2010 4:29 pm

Re: Applying for Drivers License

Originally Posted by krishnaecetech (Post 8591613)
Hi Folks,

I would like to know how easy is it to get a drivers license(car) in Australia after becoming resident. I have some of my queries listed below.

1) Is there seperate rules for each state for getting a license or is it if a take a license in one particular state is that valid for other states as well.

2) I have my driver license from another country which is four years since it has been issued so can I directly go to take up some p1 or p2 licenses or is it like I need to start again from R -> P1 -> P2 -> Original Australian License.

3) Should we have an own car before we go for the drivers test

Kindly let me know on these

All the States are different, so do you know where you are heading?

Dreamy May 26th 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8591632)
All the States are different, so do you know where you are heading?

And what country issued your licence? How old are you? Is it a full driver's licence that you have currently?

hotfuss May 27th 2010 2:13 am

Dunno where you're applying but I just walked into an RTA office in Sydney with my Irish driver license, filled out a form and Bob's your mother's brother!

I only had my full Irish license for a year and a half so had to get a P2 license which I'll hold for a year and a half more, then do a test to get my full license

krishnaecetech May 27th 2010 6:58 am

I am at NSW, previously I hold a full license from India which was issued to me four years ago. I am 26 years at present.

ABCDiamond May 27th 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by hotfuss (Post 8592613)
Dunno where you're applying but I just walked into an RTA office in Sydney with my Irish driver license, filled out a form and Bob's your mother's brother!

I only had my full Irish license for a year and a half so had to get a P2 license which I'll hold for a year and a half more, then do a test to get my full license

Most of us just walk in, hand over our licence, and get an Australian one with no tests to do. :thumbup:

canadaeh May 27th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8592907)
Most of us just walk in, hand over our licence, and get an Australian one with no tests to do. :thumbup:

Yep, I've found this in NSW, WA and ACT, I assume the other states are the same.

krishnaecetech May 27th 2010 7:10 am

Folks but is your license state specific i.e. is it possible to drive in Victoria with a NSW license. Is there some kind of license which allows me to drive anywhere in the country or is it compulsary that if I move to a new state I need to start off alltogether applying for a new license again.

Alfresco May 27th 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by krishnaecetech (Post 8592925)
Folks but is your license state specific i.e. is it possible to drive in Victoria with a NSW license. Is there some kind of license which allows me to drive anywhere in the country or is it compulsary that if I move to a new state I need to start off alltogether applying for a new license again.

If you have a license for one state you can drive anywhere in Oz. If you move permanently to new state then you swap your old state license for a one in the new state. No re-testing should be necessary.

ABCDiamond May 27th 2010 7:31 am

Originally Posted by canadaeh (Post 8592909)
Yep, I've found this in NSW, WA and ACT, I assume the other states are the same.

They are now, although that was not the case a few years ago.

lapin_windstar May 27th 2010 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by krishnaecetech (Post 8592904)
I am at NSW, previously I hold a full license from India which was issued to me four years ago. I am 26 years at present.

Hi Krishna,

Bad news: in NSW, only licences from some countries can be exchanged for NSW licences. India is not one of those countries so much of the above is not relevant for you: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...countries.html

If you are not a "temporary overseas visitor", you must obtain an NSW licence to drive legally: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swlicence.html

If you get an NSW licence and decide to move to Victoria, for instance, you will be entitled to exchange the NSW licence for a Victorian licence: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm Similar provisions apply in all other Australian states and territories.

krishnaecetech May 28th 2010 7:42 am

Thank you Lapin_windstar and others for your responses :)

hotfuss May 28th 2010 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8592907)

Only if you've had your recognised overseas full license for over three years...
that's the case in NSW anyway unfortunately..

Alfresco May 28th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by hotfuss (Post 8595373)
Only if you've had your recognised overseas full license for over three years...
that's the case in NSW anyway unfortunately..

That's nuts. What's the point of recognising overseas (UK) licenses at all then? :confused:

Ah! P plates I see.