Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for De Facto visa

Applying for De Facto visa

Old Jul 11th 2001, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm a Brit in Austrlia (currently on Working Holiday Visa)who has an Aussie boyfriend. I've bought the Partner Migration Booklet, and looked up a few sites for information on migration etc.

What I'm after please, is some advice from someone who has been through the process....
*What sort of questions do they ask for proof that you are in a 'genuine and continuing relationship'?
*Roughly how long does the process take?
*How much did your medical cost?
etc,etc

I'd really appreciate any info you may have, as I don't want to have to leave my boyfriend or this lovely country!

Thanks, Nara
Old Jul 11th 2001, 11:17 am
Cato

Best place is to look at http://www.immi.gov.au there should be some information on
what you need. I'm an American on PR -- came out here on Prospective Spouse Visa and
am married to my Aussie hubby for the last 3 years. I think you could apply for an
on-shore spousal visa if you've married your aussie bf...the de facto visa would mean
you must have lived with your boyfriend for 12 consecutive months and provide
evidence that you both have lived together for that amount of time, etc. I'm sure
other people in similar situations as you are will be able to help you more than
me.

Good luck,

Dawn

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 13th 2001, 9:42 am
Gayle

Hi Nara, My husband and I went thru the de-facto spouse visa process (onshore)
almost 2 years ago. For proof of a genuine and continuing relationship you will need
evidence of 12 months co-habitation. Any official paperwork that shows both your
names at the same address.....i.e. rental reciepts, utility accounts, joint bank
accounts, joint loan etc. Also photos, invitations and the like which include both
of you. And as many Form 888's as you can round up. Those that carry the most weight
are from parents, other family members and employers. The medicals cost around
$90.00, as far as I can remember. The whole process took around 3 months....from the
initial application being lodged to being granted the visa. We had help from an
immigration agent on this newsgroup (George Lombard) but we did all the paperwork
ourselves. At the interview in Melbourne we were asked questions about our
relationship, how we met (on the internet), and his relationship with my children.
We weren't asked any "trick" questions nor anything particularly personal. It was
more like a friendly chat than an interview. Nara, my advice........be very
thorough, compile as much evidence as you possibly can of your 12 months
co-habitation and then compile some more. Check and double check everything! Be
clear and precise in the statutory declarations you and your partner will have to
write about your relationship, but include as much detail as possible. If you should
phone the DIMA help line for any advice, make a note of the date and time of the
call and get the name of the person you talk to. We found we were given a lot of
wrong advice by DIMA employees when we rang with various questions. Should you have
any more specific questions, please feel free to email me direct. I'll be more than
happy to help. Kindest regards, Gayle Knowles.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 14th 2001, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much Gayle,
Glad to hear the medical wasn't as expensive as they mention in the Partner Migration Booklet ($300).
I may like to get in touch nearer the time of my application, but don't think I can get your address if you're not a member, so if you could please email me, or reply with your address, that would be great. My email address is <deleted at a later date>
Best Wishes,
Nara

Originally posted by Gayle
Hi Nara, My husband and I went thru the de-facto spouse visa process (onshore)
almost 2 years ago. For proof of a genuine and continuing relationship you will need
evidence of 12 months co-habitation. Any official paperwork that shows both your
names at the same address.....i.e. rental reciepts, utility accounts, joint bank
accounts, joint loan etc. Also photos, invitations and the like which include both
of you. And as many Form 888's as you can round up. Those that carry the most weight
are from parents, other family members and employers. The medicals cost around
$90.00, as far as I can remember. The whole process took around 3 months....from the
initial application being lodged to being granted the visa. We had help from an
immigration agent on this newsgroup (George Lombard) but we did all the paperwork
ourselves. At the interview in Melbourne we were asked questions about our
relationship, how we met (on the internet), and his relationship with my children.
We weren't asked any "trick" questions nor anything particularly personal. It was
more like a friendly chat than an interview. Nara, my advice........be very
thorough, compile as much evidence as you possibly can of your 12 months
co-habitation and then compile some more. Check and double check everything! Be
clear and precise in the statutory declarations you and your partner will have to
write about your relationship, but include as much detail as possible. If you should
phone the DIMA help line for any advice, make a note of the date and time of the
call and get the name of the person you talk to. We found we were given a lot of
wrong advice by DIMA employees when we rang with various questions. Should you have
any more specific questions, please feel free to email me direct. I'll be more than
happy to help. Kindest regards, Gayle Knowles.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Last edited by BookBear; Dec 1st 2003 at 9:46 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:09 am
Just Joined

fidelma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default de facto visa

I 've just applied for a de facto visa.
I recieved a reply within a week and a half to say they acknowledged my application.
I paid $250 for my medical and an extra $25 when I went in to have my medical because I had two peircings in my ears ---not joking here. When the doctor saw my two piercings she said I had to get an extra test for hep-b.
It just goes to show u do not know what will happen in these places.
My interview is in early feb so thats thats a month and a half after I lodged my application.
I rang the dima office and they told me that it usually takes up to 5/6 months or sooner if the application is clear and straight forward.
The problem with this application is that people don't run there life around proving you are together and genuine---keeping everything etc----most people in genuine relationships are not like that---they don't need to be.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: de facto visa

Originally posted by fidelma
I 've just applied for a de facto visa.
I recieved a reply within a week and a half to say they acknowledged my application.
I paid $250 for my medical and an extra $25 when I went in to have my medical because I had two peircings in my ears ---not joking here. When the doctor saw my two piercings she said I had to get an extra test for hep-b.
It just goes to show u do not know what will happen in these places.
My interview is in early feb so thats thats a month and a half after I lodged my application.
I rang the dima office and they told me that it usually takes up to 5/6 months or sooner if the application is clear and straight forward.
The problem with this application is that people don't run there life around proving you are together and genuine---keeping everything etc----most people in genuine relationships are not like that---they don't need to be.
I presume from your location that you lodged your application in Perth. Interesting timescale they have quoted you. London AHC seems to process in half the time if you are unlucky. I know what you mean about the evidence.

Keep us posted as not many here have applied in Oz for a partner visa.

I applied for a de facto in London Oct 01, granted feb 02. I was sent final stage forms start August 03, submitted mid August and was granted PR mid Nov.

Good luck
Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Nara
My email address is <deleted at a later date>
No wonder I get so much junk mail!

Ahh, my first post, so innocent to the immigration process!

Either my doctor didn't notice my 4 ear piercings or he didn't think it was necessary to get extra tests for it, I've got a tattoo as well, and that he would have noticed when he was prodding my tummy.