Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for Australian driving licence

Applying for Australian driving licence

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice
Default Applying for Australian driving licence

Does anyone the procedure for getting your Australian driving licence. Do we have to take a practical exam or take a driving test?

Cheers
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:47 am
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Applying for Australian driving licence

For the driving licence - we turned up at a RTA (Roads & Traffic Authority)office 4.30pm the when the RTA were getting ready to close for the day (its a good tip - they will process it faster as they are so keen to get off home). We completed the forms, got the photo in their office, paid for a 5 years licence (you can choose 1,3,5) and they gave us our new NSW car / bike licence. There are no tests anymore for UK full licence holders. You will need proof of your Aussie address - the rental agreement for your house (if you're renting) is a good starter. Take your passport and both parts of UK driving licence with you. The RTA office is where you register cars and do all tax docs too. The website with ALL info is at : http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

This was for NSW - Each State has there own regulations. Chris
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

In QLD I just turned up with my licence (Canadian) and all the appropriate ID. That was it, no test or practical exam.

I believe the same is true for people with a UK licence.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

In Perth all we had to do was turn up show our Uk Licence do an eye test pay the money and about 1 week later we had our Licences

John
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:14 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Really? ACE!

I was on the understanding that we would have 6 months 'allowance' on our UK driving licence, but would have to take a 'theory' test to obtain a Queensland Driving Licence.

This is based on what we were told by Kate's parents, who had to do this 8 or 9 years ago. Any idea how long the rules have been different?

I don't believe you - can I see it in writing please?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:22 pm

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Hold on! What's this:

Queensland (QLD)

In Queensland if you are a holder of a interstate licence you have three months to apply for a Queensland licence. To do this you must go to your local Queensland Transport Centre. Under normal circumstances your licence should be issued immediately however if state verification is required it may take up to 48 hours. You must provide appropriate identification with at least one of the documents showing your Queensland address.

For overseas drivers you will be required to obtain a Queensland Licence if residing for more than three months in Queensland. If your licence is not written in English you will be required to provide a translation. To obtain a QLD licence you will have to fill in an application form and present this and the appropriate identification (including proof of a Queensland address) to a Queensland Transport Centre.

Overseas drivers will then be required to pass a written test, this will cost $16.50. The test is comprised on 30 general questions for a motor car licence with an additional 5 for a motorbike licence. The road rules you will be tested on are contained in the book “Your Keys to Driving in Queensland” which may be brought from your local newsagent for approximately A$10.05. Depending on the country where your licence was issued you may be required to sit a practical test also.
From: http://www.australianexplorer.com/au..._licensing.htm

Can't seem to find anything here: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/ to either backup or dismiss this...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:39 pm

Appologies, panic over!

Overseas licence holders
An amendment was made to the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 1999 on 1 March 2006, exempting New Zealand licence holders, and certain other overseas licence holders, from having to complete the written road rules test and pay the prescribed fee for a car and/or motorbike licence.

Queensland Transport recognises driver licences issued from the following countries:

Austria
Belgium
Canada
Croatia
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
the Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
Singapore
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
the United Kingdom
the United States of America.
Applicants from these counties (excluding applicants from external territories of those recognised countries) are not required to take a written road rules or practical driving test when applying for a car or motorcycle licence in Queensland.
From: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...icence_holders

Last edited by Simon.and.Kate; Jan 21st 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland's rules only changed a few months ago.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:31 pm

The gov' website states: "on 1 March 2006"...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
Really? ACE!

I was on the understanding that we would have 6 months 'allowance' on our UK driving licence, but would have to take a 'theory' test to obtain a Queensland Driving Licence.

This is based on what we were told by Kate's parents, who had to do this 8 or 9 years ago. Any idea how long the rules have been different?

I don't believe you - can I see it in writing please?

Hiya,

I have also read this in my 'Moving To Oz' book. It states that you have 3mths on your UK licence then you have to take a practical and written exam.

If things have changed than great !!

Donna.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hiya,

I have also read this in my 'Moving To Oz' book. It states that you have 3mths on your UK licence then you have to take a practical and written exam.

If things have changed than great !!

Donna.
In Tas you just turn up with your full UK licence, do the eyesight test, pay the fee and there you go !
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Can assure you in Qld you just turn up with proper id (passport / UK driving licence and some sort of utility bill or similar at your new address) and you'll get a licence ... I think you have 3 months from your date of entry to Oz to do it ... don't know what happens if you wait longer ... probably full body search followed by making you watch repeated AFL games then beheading ...

David
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly lost mine yesterday....

They say that in mid-December I drove through the Sydney Cross City Tunnel at 69 kph...where the speed limit had been set on a quiet Sunday afternoon from 80 kph down to 40 kph for some imaginary road works.

Scary thing - I believe that had I been doing 71 kph (still less 9 kph less than the usual speed limit), I would almost automatically have lost my license for 3 months! because I would have been more than 30 kph over the 'limit'.

I've been driving for 18 years and never had a single point or accident or anything - given that I normally drive 60,000 miles or 100,000 km a year, I think thats pretty good.

Yet because somebody switched one electronic sign to 40 kph - that I could have missed when confronted by all the other signs in a place that I had never driven before...I could have been banned and lost my job as a result.

I understand that the particular camera is the second biggest revenue generating camera in NSW and is well know as a 'trap' when switched on for none exisitant road works. I'm not bothered about the $238 fine...but loss of license...Jesus.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html

BE WARNED.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe they let people such as those from the US get a license with no test - they drive on the opposite side of the road!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.