Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To Apply Or Not To Apply

To Apply Or Not To Apply

Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice
Question To Apply Or Not To Apply

My husband is very keen to apply for a visa to live in Aus, he has a skill that is wanted, within motor trade.
I feel really torn, we are thinking of Adelaide or Brisbane, I have a cousin who lives in Brisbane.

Why I want to go

Better life for our 5 children
Weather
Better standard of living, having more family time
Larger House with pool?
Get away from a country that has nothing to offer, high crime rates, drug problems, overcrowded, cost of living high, nhs dreadful, all work and no play.

Why I worry about going

SNAKES I am petrified although my cousin has assured me in the 15 years he has been there he has only seen 3 and I do not need to worry.
My hubby not getting a job
Kids not settling
Missing my very close family (although they have thoughts of following-sister has skill wanted, mum and dad on parental visa leaves one sister who I think can come over on family visa cos all her family will be in Aus).
Life not being an improvement.
How much can he earn have not found any salaries for his trade.

Anyone out there feel and torn would like to hear your views. One day I am all up for applying then few days later think what are we doing.

I will be a housewife out there with kids aged 16,14,10,4, and 2.
HELP all views much appreciated good or bad, it's a big decision.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:09 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: To Apply Or Not To Apply

Originally Posted by amberandjason
My husband is very keen to apply for a visa to live in Aus, he has a skill that is wanted, within motor trade.
I feel really torn, we are thinking of Adelaide or Brisbane, I have a cousin who lives in Brisbane.

Why I want to go

Weather
Larger House with pool?
Get away from a country that has nothing to offer, high crime rates, drug problems, overcrowded, cost of living high, nhs dreadful, all work and no play.

Why I worry about going

SNAKES I am petrified although my cousin has assured me in the 15 years he has been there he has only seen 3 and I do not need to worry.
Kids not settling
Missing my very close family (although they have thoughts of following-sister has skill wanted, mum and dad on parental visa leaves one sister who I think can come over on family visa cos all her family will be in Aus).

Anyone out there feel and torn would like to hear your views. One day I am all up for applying then few days later think what are we doing.

Hi there,

Welcome to the big debate!

I don't think anyone would be able to say 'yay or nay' to your questions, but you will get heaps of support and feedback here. I think you will discover that everyone, has and does worry about all of what you highlight.

Just wanted to wish you good luck!

Me I would say 'go for it' - but thats me, not you.

SC x
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hi there,

Welcome to the big debate!

I don't think anyone would be able to say 'yay or nay' to your questions, but you will get heaps of support and feedback here. I think you will discover that everyone, has and does worry about all of what you highlight.

Just wanted to wish you good luck!

Me I would say 'go for it' - but thats me, not you.

SC x
As my husband keeps saying it is better to have done something and regretted it that not done it and regretted not doing it. If that makes sense. Not looking for anyone to make decisions for me think I just wanted to make sure not alone in all my worries, and get feedback from others.
Really glad I found this website. Thanks for your thoughts.
Amber
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amber

I'm new to this forum but have already found it really helpful. We are in the same position, we are still at the thinking stage and have yet to actually begin the process. So far we have done lots of research on the internet regarding our jobs, house prices etc, we went to the Emigrate Show at the weekend which was fairly useful although mainly full of visa agents trying to convince you to choose them! We are also going to the Australian Expo in London in a couple of weeks time, might be more of the same but at least the kids get a day out in London!
We have also decided that despite the cost, we really need to go out there and have a real look, I know you don't see much on a holiday but hubby is adamant we cannot move somewhere we have never seen.
We are focusing on South Australia and Adelaide but since the weekend and speaking to people from Tasmania stand would like to have a closer look there too.
Good luck with your plans.
Sammy
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

As my husband keeps saying it is better to have done something and regretted it that not done it and regretted not doing it. If that makes sense. Not looking for anyone to make decisions for me think I just wanted to make sure not alone in all my worries, and get feedback from others.
Really glad I found this website. Thanks for your thoughts.
Amber
Most ppl have/had the same feelings. You'll get them all through the process. Your husband thought like me. Better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. Don't look at it through rose coloured specs and ask questions on here no matter how trivial they seem. Plenty of great ppl who will go out of their way to help. Good luck on your decision and read as much info as you can.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac
Most ppl have/had the same feelings. You'll get them all through the process. Your husband thought like me. Better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. Don't look at it through rose coloured specs and ask questions on here no matter how trivial they seem. Plenty of great ppl who will go out of their way to help. Good luck on your decision and read as much info as you can.
Have you moved out to Aus and if so how have you found it.
Thanks
Amber
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

we are also in similar position and have kids to consider.
I asked the kids yesterday, and even the teenager said ok!

Spoke with my mother this morning. She said what have you got to lose? If you dont like it come back. Its better than living with regrets and what ifs?
She said do it now while you can.

I have to admit we are in a non english speaking country at the moment. It was nerve wracking but Im surprised how well kids adapt. They settled almost instantly! I worried like hell about the kids, seams they can take to new things better than we give them credit for.

Me, Im in another country which is ok. But Australia has been on our minds off and on for years. We like it here, so worried about going some place worse. But mum said try says go for it. Otherwise we will have regrets.

Good Luck with your decisions everyone
Gems
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

we are also in similar position and have kids to consider.
I asked the kids yesterday, and even the teenager said ok!

Spoke with my mother this morning. She said what have you got to lose? If you dont like it come back. Its better than living with regrets and what ifs?
She said do it now while you can.

I have to admit we are in a non english speaking country at the moment. It was nerve wracking but Im surprised how well kids adapt. They settled almost instantly! I worried like hell about the kids, seams they can take to new things better than we give them credit for.

Me, Im in another country which is ok. But Australia has been on our minds off and on for years. We like it here, so worried about going some place worse. But mum said try says go for it. Otherwise we will have regrets.

Good Luck with your decisions everyone
Gems
Hi
Do you mind me asking what country are you in at the moment and did you leave family when you went, if so how did you get on without them.
Thanks
Amber
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Have you moved out to Aus and if so how have you found it.
Thanks
Amber
Arrived in Qld in Sept 06 and have had hiccups but no regrets. Never expected to land and everything would be plain sailing (rose specs) Been harder for O/H as kids at school and I'm at work so she has too much time on her hands. Bumped into ex-pats who are all in same boat so makes it easier now and have bought a house, again making it easier. Amber, I could go on all night but its you who must decide. Ask questions and research all you can. As you get more familiar with BE, you'll notice that its not for everyone. Thats why I say, its got to be your decision. We never did a recce so could be thought as rather reckless but again, its an individual thing. Ask away Amber and don't be shy
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac
Arrived in Qld in Sept 06 and have had hiccups but no regrets. Never expected to land and everything would be plain sailing (rose specs) Been harder for O/H as kids at school and I'm at work so she has too much time on her hands. Bumped into ex-pats who are all in same boat so makes it easier now and have bought a house, again making it easier. Amber, I could go on all night but its you who must decide. Ask questions and research all you can. As you get more familiar with BE, you'll notice that its not for everyone. Thats why I say, its got to be your decision. We never did a recce so could be thought as rather reckless but again, its an individual thing. Ask away Amber and don't be shy
Thanks for you reply and honesty, have been having lots of conversations with my cousin, planning to do lots of research as just because tv make the move look good, know it will be hard and that the grass is not always greener on the otherside, but lets be honest England is becoming a dump and I really worry how safe my teenage will be once he starts going out to pubs etc. My cousin has said that Aus is a lot safer. Seem to spend all my time on the computer looking into moving.
Cheers
Amber
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why I want to go

Weather
Larger House with pool?

Why I worry about going

Kids not settling

You will only find out what it is like when you get here. No amount of reading this website, listening to other people etc will tell you what it is really like.
Australia has all the social, drug, young wanker etc problems that the UK has. Some better, some worse. Crime levels here are similar to the UK.

I saw my first snake this morning, a Tiger snake in my backyard. I was a good 10 metres away and it was moving in the opposite direction but what a beautiful looking creature. I feel privileged to have seen it.
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for you reply and honesty, have been having lots of conversations with my cousin, planning to do lots of research as just because tv make the move look good, know it will be hard and that the grass is not always greener on the otherside, but lets be honest England is becoming a dump and I really worry how safe my teenage will be once he starts going out to pubs etc. My cousin has said that Aus is a lot safer. Seem to spend all my time on the computer looking into moving.
Cheers
Amber
As ppl will tell you, even a recce cannot tell you what your life will be really like. Amazulu is right in stating that until you live here then you'll not know but research won't do you any harm and will help you make an educated guess I meant decision. Your head will be bursting with Aussie knowledge and we've all been there. You'll be excited, scared, apprehensive, am i doing the right thing. Its all perfectly natural and probably the biggest decision you will make in your life. So dont listen to the bbc and try to make up your own mind. It will be easier if you have family here. Good luck Amber and where are you hoping to go
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, nobody here can tell you whether you will like it or not.

I am not too far away from the UK, only in Czech Republic.

However we landed with no knowledge of the language (which is a bloomin nightmare to learn)
Knew nobody at all and had never been to this country before, but had a job to come too. It was our first time living away from the UK. However it was all organised very quickly so did not have time to do much research.

Have to admit it was quite stressful. However best thing we did. As we know now we can fend for ourselves.
As for relatives, yeah it was awful the day when we left. But it was not so bad when you are here.

Good thing is today everyone has mobiles, internet, webcams. So you can see your parents, sister, brother and friends!

My tips, are get yourself hooked up to internet asap. Get out and find out yourself. Im now a dab hand at map reading! We did not sit and wait for expats to show us around. We went out and found everything ourselves.
Mix with the locals and get too know them.

Kids, mine are from teen to tot! But all have settled great and none want to come back to the UK!!

Gems
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS,
so hoping the kids can settle in Australia just as well.

Gems
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

PPS, you will be amazed at how many relatives will want to come and stay!
You may see relatives more than you think!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.