Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Application for Aus Passport - update

Application for Aus Passport - update

Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Application for Aus Passport - update

When applying for my Aus passport last week, I was slightly annoyed at having to return today because I did not have proof of birth place, eg my UK passport or birth certificate and because I changed my name marriage certificate.

No where on the form does it mention this requirement - or anywhere that I could find easily on

http://www.auspost.com.au/

and

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/req...documents.aspx

I did ask if I could use my UK driving licence but they did not seem too sure, so I duly went in again today to the Post Office.

Anyway this is to let all of you applying - they haven't bothered to change the passport form as they printed too many so take along your country information for proof of birth place. Might save you a trip.

Process is very short and sweet with the correct documentation. Now I just have to cross fingers it shows up in the two days promised with the express service as I travel on the 2 March

Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:08 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Application for Aus Passport - update

Originally Posted by Sandra
When applying for my Aus passport last week, I was slightly annoyed at having to return today because I did not have proof of birth place, eg my UK passport or birth certificate and because I changed my name marriage certificate.

No where on the form does it mention this requirement - or anywhere that I could find easily on

http://www.auspost.com.au/

and

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/req...documents.aspx

I did ask if I could use my UK driving licence but they did not seem too sure, so I duly went in again today to the Post Office.

Anyway this is to let all of you applying - they haven't bothered to change the passport form as they printed too many so take along your country information for proof of birth place. Might save you a trip.

Process is very short and sweet with the correct documentation. Now I just have to cross fingers it shows up in the two days promised with the express service as I travel on the 2 March

Cheers
that rings a bell Sandra, when i did mine i was not asked for, nor did i provide, proof of birth place (i.e. UK passport/birth cert) but when my wife went they did ask her... i couldn't remeber them asking on the paperwork either but didn't go back to check
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
that rings a bell Sandra, when i did mine i was not asked for, nor did i provide, proof of birth place (i.e. UK passport/birth cert) but when my wife went they did ask her... i couldn't remeber them asking on the paperwork either but didn't go back to check
It may be a new requirement.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:33 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may be a new requirement.
my wife and i did our applications at the same time just at different post offices, but again it could be that some are implementing a new requirement before others as happens sometimes
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:45 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

They don't accept UK passports as ID. I tried to use mine when applying for OZ passport this week. They did however accept my university student card

Somehow I think a student card would be easier to reproduce than to successfully reproduce or alter a passport!

If they are this parochial, you may have to get you OZ drivers licence sorted or else ask what else constitutes acceptable photographic ID.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:51 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't take my birth certificate to my passport interview nor was I asked for it. It seems to me that only Australians who were born here do that. For the rest of us the citizenship certificate addresses the proof of citizenship section adequately.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:59 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am possibly not making myself clear

I was asked for proof of birth place - the post office I attended asked for either my birth certificate (with marriage because of change of name) or current UK passport.

I was annoyed as the normal form does not ask you for these details.

I tried the websites before and after my visit with no luck in finding these new requirements. I then phoned the help line and whinged about it. There is a new requirement and you should be asked to provide these details. The forms have not changed yet as they printed so many already they are going to use them first.

It was a heads up to possibly let someone else avoid the double trip.

This id requirement was extra to all the normal stuff I needed like citizenship certifcate and aussie id like driving licence and bank card etc.

Cheers Sandra
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:52 am
Jedi Princess

I am possibly not making myself clear

I was asked for proof of birth place - the post office I attended asked for either my birth certificate (with marriage because of change of name) or current UK passport.

I was annoyed as the normal form does not ask you for these details.

I tried the websites before and after my visit with no luck in finding these new requirements. I then phoned the help line and whinged about it. There is a new requirement and you should be asked to provide these details. The forms have not changed yet as they printed so many already they are going to use them first.

It was a heads up to possibly let someone else avoid the double trip.

This id requirement was extra to all the normal stuff I needed like citizenship certifcate and aussie id like driving licence and bank card etc.

Cheers Sandra
I understand what you are saying but I was not asked for any evidence of where I was born. There obviously seems to be some inconsistency here. I applied for my OZ passport on Thursday 8th Feburary 2007, so any new change should have been mentioned to me I would have thought. I have since phoned APIS and been told my application is proceeding as normal.

So anyone's guess what goes on at different post offices etc.