British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which appliances etcto take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/appliances-etcto-take-663660/)

bethnphoebe Apr 12th 2010 1:35 pm

Which appliances etcto take?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me whether it is worth shipping appliances. I don't want to ship my Washing machine and fridge etc to australia if they won't work when i get there. Also do flat screen TV's work in australia?
Thanks

Coryate Apr 12th 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Which appliances etcto take?

The appliances will work, but you would probably need to change the plugs, the only real issue I can think of would be to get spares if they go wrong.

Shipping will be expensive.

bethnphoebe Apr 12th 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Coryate,
I will be have 1/2 container anyway for my furniture etc so i hoped it would be more cost effective to take appliances rather than buy them there as i will have shipping costs anyway but wasn't sure whether my washing machine could be plumbed in ok.

ronnie98 Jun 14th 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by bethnphoebe (Post 8490162)
Hi Coryate,
I will be have 1/2 container anyway for my furniture etc so i hoped it would be more cost effective to take appliances rather than buy them there as i will have shipping costs anyway but wasn't sure whether my washing machine could be plumbed in ok.

bring everything and put a new range cooker in for me, there $7000 here and mine at home was £1200:thumbsup:

ABCDiamond Jun 14th 2010 2:46 am

Originally Posted by bethnphoebe (Post 8490103)
Hi,
Can anyone tell me whether it is worth shipping appliances. I don't want to ship my Washing machine and fridge etc to australia if they won't work when i get there. Also do flat screen TV's work in australia?
Thanks

Check your fridge rating, to see if suitable for the area of Australia you are heading to.

Two common ratings are:
N = 16°C to 32°C (Temperate)
T = 18°C to 43°C (Tropical)

My N rating fridge died pretty quickly after keeping it in the garage where the temps exceeded 32°C.

I will now only get T rated. Not sure if UK fridges will have a similar rating ?

Washing machines will work OK, but make sure you put in the travel bolts, and remove them again before using :eek:

KateandPhil Jun 14th 2010 3:15 am

Hi,
Thanks

We brought everything washing macine, dishwasher, printers, kettle, iron etc they all work absolutely fine. We have changed the plugs on most things which was easy enough. We didnt bring the fridge/freezer we were told it wouldn't be powerful enough for the heat but really wished we had, even if it was for a beer fridge and extra freezer!! We bought a second hand fridge when we got here that was in great condition and a bargain at $200. I would say with the exchange rate being poor at the moment bring everything then when you get here earning dollars look to replacing them then if you need to.

Garage sales are good here too picked up at brand new tumble dryer for $100 wish I had brought that too!

alipally Jun 14th 2010 4:17 am

Bring EVERYTHING! It's all really expensive here, for white goods especially with the exchange rate. If you don't have a tumble dryer, GET ONE and bring that too, We bought a Whirlpool one here and frankly it's PANTS! Dishwashers a slightly different here (no salt dispenser) so I didn't bother. If you have oil filled electric radiators shove those in too. (I'm bloody freezing at the moment!) I also bought my Magimix, dualit toaster and magimix kettle they all work fab here too. (now I've finally changed the plugs on them!:o)and are half the price in the UK!
I have a side by side Whirpool American style Fridge Freezer it's been great since we got it and it's still going strong now (7 years old)

TBH the only thing that is cheaper here at the moment is Apple Mac stuff,

jayr Jun 15th 2010 2:29 am

Bring everything.

Trust me.

paddyo Jun 15th 2010 3:17 am

Hi,
Thanks

Everything bar TV will work fine, even then you can still use it via a set top box and Foxtel or use it as a second TV, which is what we have done. I have changed the plugs on all my electrical appliances having had advise from a fellow BE chap on here who is a qualified electrician.

alipally Jun 15th 2010 4:17 am

You say that the TV won't work, but actually if you have a digital ready TV it works just fine! So bring that too!

ABCDiamond Jun 15th 2010 5:52 am

My analogue TV, when set for German reception, worked OK here also :thumbup:

paddyo Jun 15th 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 8633539)
You say that the TV won't work, but actually if you have a digital ready TV it works just fine! So bring that too!

ok, well mine is, but didn;t!! Having said that, Digital Ready in 2001 (when I bought it) and working with Digital Aerial may not eqate to the same Digital Ready now. It may even just need someone who knows what they are doing to fiddle with a few knobs to adjust it and make it work.

paddyo Jun 15th 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8633646)
My analogue TV, when set for German reception, worked OK here also :thumbup:

Really??? Hmmmm....er...ahem....how do you do that then?

ABCDiamond Jun 15th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8633694)
Really??? Hmmmm....er...ahem....how do you do that then?

Went into settings, and selected Germany. It was a Philips TV. It didn't have Australia as an option.

The three country settings, for Analogue, are:
  • Australia - System B: 625 Lines 7MHz Channel +5.5MHz Sound
  • Germany - System B: 625 Lines 7MHz Channel (or 8MHz on G) +5.5MHz Sound
  • UK - System I: 625 Lines 8MHz Channel +6.0MHz Sound

Bex and Si Jun 15th 2010 2:16 pm

I'm moving out next month and have half a container to ship over. We sold all our whites with our house! Hmmm beginning to think that was a mistake :(
Would you suggest that we buy a washer/dryer/fridge etc to bring along with us?