British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   applecross, good? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/applecross-good-685919/)

clark66 Sep 18th 2010 3:19 am

applecross, good?

We are looking to live in applecross, perth, good idea? are the schools any good in this area?

Dorothy Sep 18th 2010 3:47 am

Re: applecross, good?

Originally Posted by clark66 (Post 8857043)
We are looking to live in applecross, perth, good idea? are the schools any good in this area?

No. It's a shithole full of wealthy people who can afford to live on the river. Schools turn out nothing but doctors, lawyers, engineers and other professional types.

Because you're new I'll point out the seach facility. It's located on the top right of every page. If you put "applecross" or "perth suburbs" in you'll come up with dozens of threads on Perth and it's surrounds. If you're looking for even more fun, try typing in "Perth schools". That's where the real entertainment lies.

clark66 Sep 18th 2010 4:05 am

thanks for the info, we want to stay in the south as hubbies work is around there, any good suggestions ? it seems everybody is living in the north but too far for hubbie, had years of long distance for work. We are coming down for look see end of month.:)

northernbird Sep 18th 2010 4:28 am

Originally Posted by clark66 (Post 8857097)
thanks for the info, we want to stay in the south as hubbies work is around there, any good suggestions ? it seems everybody is living in the north but too far for hubbie, had years of long distance for work. We are coming down for look see end of month.:)

Lovely area but if you want to buy there then be prepared to kiss goodbye to a minimum of a million dollars. Rents are reasonable and the schools are good.

Dorothy Sep 18th 2010 5:34 am

Originally Posted by clark66 (Post 8857097)

I was being sarcastic but unfortunately it doesn't come across well in writing. Applecross is a lovely area. It's close to the city, on the river with good schools.

pomtastic Sep 18th 2010 5:55 am

Applecross is where all the movers and shakers live in Perth, very nice and ultra desirable, you won't go wrong there.

It's one of the areas I would live in if I had a couple of mill to spend on housing and I wouldn't even consider the Northern Suburbs if I had that kind of spending power.

Can't help with schools, although my guess is the local primary schools would be great due to the affluent area and most high school age kids in the area would go to the top notch private.

Renting does indeed look a bargain compared to buying in Applecross.

EvannTel Sep 18th 2010 8:07 am

Ah ha a SOR thread! This is my area we hear so seldon about on here. Its my favorite part of Perth, not just Applecross which is a top 5 suburb in Perth but also those around there - Mt Pleasant, Ardross and further west Bicton, Attadale.

Applecross SHS has a very good rep, and pretty high standards. Another nearby which is excellent in Rossmoyne SHS (Google the burb).

Housing in that area is pricey but there are properties sub million but not your 4x2 detached with pool so many Brits seek. Some duplexes etc at under $1M.
Also recently reported was the collapse of rents. Applecross topped Australia in rent values falling 30%. With rents typically cheaper than buying you could snaffle yourself a bargain in a fantastic suburb and have change to enjoy all it has to offer.
Another reason I like the area is its close to everything, city, Freo, beaches, freeway, Garden City.
I have not come across many expats in this area though if thats important to you.

clark66 Sep 18th 2010 10:34 am

the most important thing is school for the boys, i need a primary and high school, applecross sounds good, have been an expat for years, currently living in saudi, so don't feel the need to be near only brits

EvannTel Sep 18th 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by clark66 (Post 8857475)
the most important thing is school for the boys, i need a primary and high school, applecross sounds good, have been an expat for years, currently living in saudi, so don't feel the need to be near only brits

Ardross primary is on the same "precinct" as Applecross SHS and is a lovely school. Your boys will therefore be right by one another albeit at different schools.

Evelin Sep 18th 2010 2:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Applecross is part of the "Golden Triangle", the most desirable postcodes in Perth. It's the most beautiful part of Perth when it's Jacaranda season (November/December), many streets are in 'purple', leafy streets, beautiful homes.

Amazulu Sep 19th 2010 12:55 am

It's a very nice area - especially down by the river. It's fairly close to the city and has good facilities nearby.

I'd live there.

laven Sep 3rd 2011 4:58 am

does anybody with children lives in / near Applecross?

we are in the Applecross high school catchment area, I heard its not the worst school in town but how good is it really comparing to a private school in Perth that you dont have to be a catholic to get into?

eddie007 Sep 3rd 2011 5:21 am

No, I'm sorry, no one in Apllecross has children, its one of the local bylaws.

laven Sep 3rd 2011 5:28 am

sorry, offtop.

eddie007 Sep 3rd 2011 5:36 am

Originally Posted by laven (Post 9597732)
is there a link , you think, between ability to spell the word apple and quality of sense of humour?

Nowt to do with quality of humour, more todo with ipadfingeritis... Hang over and juggling a whopper with fries, extra large diet coke and worlds worst hangover

Any correlation between sense of humour bypass and laven?????.