Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Appeal to any family lawyers or serving WA Police - Advice needed!

Appeal to any family lawyers or serving WA Police - Advice needed!

Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

jmha88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Appeal to any family lawyers or serving WA Police - Advice needed!

Hi All,

My english friend is married to an Aussie and he has his permanent residency. They have a 5 year old son who has both a UK and Aussie passport.

Aussie wife has left both my friend and their son for another guy.

My question is in regards to how the law works over there. Do the each of the parents have parental responsibility or will my friend as the father have to apply for it? What will he need to do if he wants to come back to the UK with his son?

Thank you!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any family lawyers? Advice needed

I've moved your thread to the main Australia forum so it will be seen by those members likely to be able to offer help and advice.

What state does your friend live in?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Tigre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Appeal to any serving WA Police - Advice needed!

I would suggest he speaks with a family solicitor primarily in Oz and perhaps also in the UK. This appears more of a civil matter than a criminal one.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmha88
Hi All,

My english friend is married to an Aussie and he has his permanent residency. They have a 5 year old son who has both a UK and Aussie passport.

Aussie wife has left both my friend and their son for another guy.

My question is in regards to how the law works over there. Do the each of the parents have parental responsibility or will my friend as the father have to apply for it? What will he need to do if he wants to come back to the UK with his son?

Thank you!
The best place for your friend to start is here: http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/

Unless both parties are sensible and willing to work together for the sake of their child, they'll probably both need legal representation.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Generally it's 50/50 (that's the theory anyway!). If he wants to leave with his son then the mother has to give her permission. If she doesn't agree then the courts will not allow the child to leave the country. He would be wise to get citizenship if he can - makes life easier in the long run anyway and he should find himself a very good lawyer! The fact that mum has nicked off and left the child works in his favour but he needs good advice and quickly!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

jonh701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey.... I thought i had it tough! Thoughts with your friend! But i cannot help you in afraid � ����
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

jmha88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

DM1432 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how it works, try the family court website, link below may have information in one of the documents online.

http://www.familycourt.wa.gov.au/B/brochures.aspx
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged