Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Wikiposts

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:11 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Stuff the double negatives, what about indeed and Confirmation/Case Officer or have you not done nuffink of the sort?

OzTennis
Well done OzTennis.

I am glad to see that someone has noticed the deliberate mistakes in my previous post.

As I am sure we all know the dictionary definition of in deed is indeed different from the definition of indeed. Indeed I think the fact that mistakes are made by people, literally in deed, goes to highlight the fact that there is indeed a major problem.

As for the usage of my ‘forward slash’ I can only apologise. My aim was to highlight a tendency by some people to make use of every option / key on the keyboard.

Regards.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:12 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Well it's not the same without you around so keep the postings coming, drunk or not

You're talking TRA stuff yeh?
Yes, TRA. I eat, sleep and dream TRA.

No time for anything else.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:16 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Well done OzTennis.

I am glad to see that someone has noticed the deliberate mistakes in my previous post.

As I am sure we all know the dictionary definition of in deed is indeed different from the definition of indeed. Indeed I think the fact that mistakes are made by people, literally in deed, goes to highlight the fact that there is indeed a major problem.

As for the usage of my ‘forward slash’ I can only apologise. My aim was to highlight a tendency by some people to make use of every option / key on the keyboard.

Regards.
For Gods sake!

If all you have to worry about in life is the incorrect use of grammar, then perhaps Australia would be better off without you.

There are more important things to get worked up about.

Bundy (one of the most popular girls on here) has had to put her move to Australia on hold as her mum is dying with cancer.

Get a grip and stop getting annoyed about things that are not important.

Make a choice on experience and not heresay.

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:51 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
For Gods sake!

If all you have to worry about in life is the incorrect use of grammar, then perhaps Australia would be better off without you.

There are more important things to get worked up about.

Bundy (one of the most popular girls on here) has had to put her move to Australia on hold as her mum is dying with cancer.

Get a grip and stop getting annoyed about things that are not important.

Make a choice on experience and not heresay.
Professional Princess

Please let me assure you that I would never seek to demean the dreams / aspirations / problems of another. However, I would like to point out that different things are important to different people.

One of the most important things to me is a sense of humour, both within myself and others. In deed this is one of the main things that my wife and I have in common and why I feel we work so well together as a couple.

In deed I do realise that in life some people find issues with problems / concerns that others just don’t have, but I am afraid that’s life.

I am certainly interested in how I can also become one of the most popular girls on this site. Are there a certain number of posts that I am required to make?

Regards,
Peter.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I am certainly interested in how I can also become one of the most popular girls on this site. Are there a certain number of posts that I am required to make?
Twat.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Well done OzTennis.

Regards.
'No probs' with using a forward slash, it is the incorrect spacing either side of it and the possible incorrect capitalisation I was drawing attention to.

In reply to PP, obviously there are more important things in life such as the example you quote (going through the same thing myself with both my parents). However, that is why there is a new thread button. If you want to discuss serious issues, amusing issues, academic issues or whatever you start up a thread on it/contribute to it. If you are looking for serious then look at the serious threads. It's just a bit of lighthearted fun - about a serious issue, I think!

OzTennis
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:55 pm
Professional Princess

Regards,
Peter.[/QUOTE]

Do not take the piss.

Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Do not take the piss.
Bit late now, maybe you should read the thread again .
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'No probs' with using a forward slash, it is the incorrect spacing either side of it and the possible incorrect capitalisation I was drawing attention to.

In reply to PP, obviously there are more important things in life such as the example you quote (going through the same thing myself with both my parents). However, that is why there is a new thread button. If you want to discuss serious issues, amusing issues, academic issues or whatever you start up a thread on it/contribute to it. If you are looking for serious then look at the serious threads. It's just a bit of lighthearted fun - about a serious issue, I think!

OzTennis
In a certain Qld Govt Dept, if you submit a memo to the Commissioner, with something like "Approved / Not Approved" instead of "Approved/Not Approved" (note the spacing) it will be returned for the entire thing to be retyped and resubmitted. If it has already been passed by three managers en route to the Commissioner, tough, it has to go through all three again. I heard from a girl it happened to - 5 page memo outlining election issues, we reckon the time taken in resubmitting and it being re-read by everyone was approx 8 hours............paid for by the govt from our taxes of course.
All the Commissioner actually has to do on a memo ike that is circle the appropriate response........

The "Style Guide" for our dept is 40 pages long - which type face is acceptable, which size type - (different for Ministers from Commissioners!) , which type of bullet points, how many mm indented they are allowed to be, when to use acronyms/brackets/commas, how to write the date .......never 23rd November always 23 November......
I worked for the UK police in largely admin roles for 14 years, I never encountered such a pedantic attitude. I think anyone worried about standards of grammar and punctuation just needs to work for the Qld govt for a while.....you'll be screaming for parole!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:34 am
ピーター及びクレア

Well, enough said.

I think I’ll sign off this post now as some people have decided not to take it as the bit of light hearted fun that it was originally intended to be.

I’ve certainly enjoyed reading some of the replies and would like to thank the people that really entered into the spirit of things.

I will now have to waste more of my employer’s time trying to think up something else to keep me amused!

I would just like to end by saying that, in my experience, if you are in a crowded room and wish to have a private conversation with just one other person, that bears absolutely no resemblance to the main topic of conversation... then you should probably go somewhere else.

PS. I really do find double negatives irritating, but I can assure you it won’t influence our application.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In a certain Qld Govt Dept, if you submit a memo to the Commissioner, with something like "Approved / Not Approved" instead of "Approved/Not Approved" (note the spacing) it will be returned for the entire thing to be retyped and resubmitted. If it has already been passed by three managers en route to the Commissioner, tough, it has to go through all three again. I heard from a girl it happened to - 5 page memo outlining election issues, we reckon the time taken in resubmitting and it being re-read by everyone was approx 8 hours............paid for by the govt from our taxes of course.
All the Commissioner actually has to do on a memo ike that is circle the appropriate response........

The "Style Guide" for our dept is 40 pages long - which type face is acceptable, which size type - (different for Ministers from Commissioners!) , which type of bullet points, how many mm indented they are allowed to be, when to use acronyms/brackets/commas, how to write the date .......never 23rd November always 23 November......
I worked for the UK police in largely admin roles for 14 years, I never encountered such a pedantic attitude. I think anyone worried about standards of grammar and punctuation just needs to work for the Qld govt for a while.....you'll be screaming for parole!
Bit of a geek question. But do you not just have Word templates? I know you would still need guidelines about date format etc, but it would solve all the bullet point, indentation, font type issues.

My brother has the same issues when preparing docs for ministers in UK. They get proofread by 4 or 5 people before they ever get submitted. I really don't think the minister would give a damn, he gets 4 or 5 boxes a day full of docs, as long as the layout is fairly consistent,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Bit of a geek question. But do you not just have Word templates? I know you would still need guidelines about date format etc, but it would solve all the bullet point, indentation, font type issues.

My brother has the same issues when preparing docs for ministers in UK. They get proofread by 4 or 5 people before they ever get submitted. I really don't think the minister would give a damn, he gets 4 or 5 boxes a day full of docs, as long as the layout is fairly consistent,

Cheers,
JTL
Geeks United!!
We have templates, but we have different numbers of bullet points, varying from memo to memo, you have to change the indenting at different points etc - the templates don't cover everything, just the heading and address boxes - the rest is done freestyle (or using as a template the one you did last week that was deemed OK!)
The daft thing is - I don;t know about the Minister, haven't done any for him yet - but the Commissioner DOES give a damn! And HE is the one who sends stuff back!!!! Some get past his Exec Assistant, only for him to reject them at the last minute.

I sometimes wonder if some people need to get a life......!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:16 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, enough said.

I think I’ll sign off this post now as some people have decided not to take it as the bit of light hearted fun that it was originally intended to be.

I’ve certainly enjoyed reading some of the replies and would like to thank the people that really entered into the spirit of things.

I will now have to waste more of my employer’s time trying to think up something else to keep me amused!

I would just like to end by saying that, in my experience, if you are in a crowded room and wish to have a private conversation with just one other person, that bears absolutely no resemblance to the main topic of conversation... then you should probably go somewhere else.

PS. I really do find double negatives irritating, but I can assure you it won’t influence our application.
I think the majority of folks here knew you were joking. I'd like to think that I entered into the spirit of things as did many other people. More of the same please, this has been the one of the best threads in ages!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks tonyk, I missed this bit ...

<snip>I would just like to end by saying that, in my experience, if you are in a crowded room and wish to have a private conversation with just one other person, that bears absolutely no resemblance to the main topic of conversation... then you should probably go somewhere else.
Twat.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:35 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Thanks tonyk, I missed this bit ...

Twat.
Are you coming to the Kent meet Deadmeat? Sue2's put a thread up on it.
We need more folks there as there's only a few of us at the mo'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.