Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Wikiposts

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

I haven't worked out the expressions ending in "but" as in e.g. he's really great looking but. The funniest was when our German cycle teacher started saying it....I nearly fell off my bike laughing.....but she's obviously doing a better job at integrating than I am
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im PMSL at this thread - love it! [IMG][/IMG]
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Im PMSL at this thread - love it! [IMG][/IMG]
Wonder if PMSL is more acceptable in polite company than a double negative......?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:50 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fremantleraider
Eh? didn't understand a word of that, too many long wordy things and not enough pics!

Ok on a serious note, I dont blame the teachers or parents i blame the music that is being produced at the moment.
One song for example has 3 lines in it that makes me soo mad, for example
He is rich
She is rich
They is rich

What is this telling our children?

Now can somebody find me a step ladder so i can get off my high horse please?
Yes. So much worse than the music of my youth.
"I can't get no satisfaction"
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:57 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ye Gods, I've heard it all now....pass the Nurofen and the wine bottle please..........
Oooh, Polly, you won't get no relief by doing that!

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:59 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Yes. So much worse than the music of my youth.
"I can't get no satisfaction"
Not a DN, I know, but the one that really gets me every time is when my computer says:

'Windows IS shutting down'.

One day, I promise, I will SMASH it!

Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 10:42 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.
Cheers,

DagBoy
This one always reminds me of the following joke where an American tourist asks for directions in London.

Yank: Hey buddy. Can you tell me where Buckingham Palace is at?

Pom: Oh my gosh! Don't you know that you should never end a sentence with a preposition?

Yank: Sorry buddy. Can you tell where Buckingham Palace is at, assh*le.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:51 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Since we are on the subject of incorrect grammar, here are a few simple rules to improve your written work:

Cheers,

DagBoy
Love it! Just brilliant!!

As my pen name suggests, I work with words. DagBoy, your list just about sums up the horrors I face daily.

Perhaps I may be so bold as to add another, though? 'Don't forget to check the ends of your sentences for full stops..'

My current pet hate is the misuse of apotrophes. If you (the reader) are inclined this way too, have a look at the Apostrophe Protection Society's site: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/ - it's 'Examples' pages are quite a hoot!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:51 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Love it! Just brilliant!!

As my pen name suggests, I work with words. DagBoy, your list just about sums up the horrors I face daily.

Perhaps I may be so bold as to add another, though? 'Don't forget to check the ends of your sentences for full stops..'

My current pet hate is the misuse of apotrophes. If you (the reader) are inclined this way too, have a look at the Apostrophe Protection Society's site: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/ - it's 'Examples' pages are quite a hoot!
Excellent!

I assume you are another who enjoyed the book 'Eats shoots & leaves'?

Or should that be 'Eats, shoot's & leaves?'

Anya.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Does that lot come from that nice book named after the habits of a Koala, which I shall not name because I'll get all the ' ' ' ' ' s in the wrong place.....(owing to the wine and Nurofen!)?

Just logged on for the first time in months.....you dont arf do me art good love .........
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Excellent!

I assume you are another who enjoyed the book 'Eats shoots & leaves'?

Or should that be 'Eats, shoot's & leaves?'

Anya.
LOL! What a wonderfully surreal thread!

Next thing I'll see on this forum is somebody who's not emigrating to Aus because apparently Aussies have two arms and two legs, and a head!

Thanks for enriching my evening folks!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:03 pm
Badge

Since we are on the subject of incorrect grammar, here are a few simple rules to improve your written work:

1. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

Genius.

(I was never quite sure what all this ''agreeing'' was about. I guess that is an example of one used incorrectly.)

I can't remember any grammar from school. To me, if it sounds right, then it must be. I get it right 90pc of the time.

BM

Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
That there are a lot of rich people in the world
PMSL!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have to confess to being a bit of a bore over grammar.

We do all make typos, and most of us have "blocks" over certain words, but increasingly the lack of grammatical structure is making it quite difficult to follow some arguments. Journalists in print and the BBC, who should know better, say things such as "it looks like the government will...."

BAHH!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I have to confess to being a bit of a bore over grammar.

We do all make typos, and most of us have "blocks" over certain words, but increasingly the lack of grammatical structure is making it quite difficult to follow some arguments. Journalists in print and the BBC, who should know better, say things such as "it looks like the government will...."

BAHH!
I scare The Bloke sometimes by yelling at the bad grammar on TV..... jumped out of his skin the other night when I shouted "its SHOWN, you stupid git, not SHOW-EN....."!

Some of the BBC guys are awful now - when you see old news clippings and you hear really correct English, you realise how badly must of us do speak nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.