Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

An apology to asylum seekers

An apology to asylum seekers

Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An apology to asylum seekers

Originally Posted by Beoz
In that case, PNG is fine for asylum seekers.
So is Australia. And as asylum seekers have suffered extremes that most of us have not, they might be more entitled to the Aussie dream more. Think I'd prefer having them than the endless whingers who want to go home but just don't.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
So is Australia. And as asylum seekers have suffered extremes that most of us have not, they might be more entitled to the Aussie dream more. Think I'd prefer having them than the endless whingers who want to go home but just don't.
I'd rather the quota thanks. Same in every country. If you want to be a charity for the worlds under-privileged then that's fine, I'd rather my tax dollars spent on me.

There are processes and controls for in place for dealing with those affected by war, politics, etc. Using as a means to travel way beyond what one needed to and attempt to illegally enter a country is not on. If the world wants population distribution mayhem then it can do away with the laws and agreements. It obviously doesn't
Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather my tax dollars spent on me.
What country gives you that? I think you should just count your blessings that you got a better deal at birth.

Also, if people smugglers are not selling shorter trips to a more convenient location with less chance of death, what choice have you got exactly? Maybe I'm being naive but it looks to me that the only chance for seeking asylum is to hop on a boat heading to Australia.

The bigger problem in Australia are those illegals arriving on plane who can acquire a passport/visa or those who arrive legally but choose to stay beyond their visa illegally. There are far more of them than those arriving on boat.

But your concern seems to be, as you say, your tax dollars. I find it interesting that it's not the lives of those who are on these boats.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

What country gives you that? I think you should just count your blessings that you got a better deal at birth.

Also, if people smugglers are not selling shorter trips to a more convenient location with less chance of death, what choice have you got exactly? Maybe I'm being naive but it looks to me that the only chance for seeking asylum is to hop on a boat heading to Australia.

The bigger problem in Australia are those illegals arriving on plane who can acquire a passport/visa or those who arrive legally but choose to stay beyond their visa illegally. There are far more of them than those arriving on boat.

But your concern seems to be, as you say, your tax dollars. I find it interesting that it's not the lives of those who are on these boats.
You seem to think people smuggling is acceptable? If it were not from Indonesia to Australia it would be somewhere else.

Its not the fewer numbers of asylum seekers via boats that cost the dollars. Its the cost of paroling the seas, and making the landing difficult, to discourage others from doing it.

Its much better for all if those who arrive seeking asylum come by plane. Firstly its safer, secondly its controlled, thirdly authorities have a much better chance of identifying "real asylum seekers" from those who are just economic migrants.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

You seem to think people smuggling is acceptable? If it were not from Indonesia to Australia it would be somewhere else.

Its not the fewer numbers of asylum seekers via boats that cost the dollars. Its the cost of paroling the seas, and making the landing difficult, to discourage others from doing it.

Its much better for all if those who arrive seeking asylum come by plane. Firstly its safer, secondly its controlled, thirdly authorities have a much better chance of identifying "real asylum seekers" from those who are just economic migrants.
Why would I think people smuggling is acceptable? I don't, it's appalling. But people smugglers and those seeking asylum are not the same. It's the people who risk their lives to flee the daily threat over their lives and lives of their families that need to be assisted.

Seeking asylum in Australia is legal. Arriving by boat is illegal. How exactly is it an option to see asylum in Australia if you can't get on a plane? That, to me, seems like a get out clause for the Australian government.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would I think people smuggling is acceptable? I don't, it's appalling. But people smugglers and those seeking asylum are not the same. It's the people who risk their lives to flee the daily threat over their lives and lives of their families that need to be assisted.

Seeking asylum in Australia is legal. Arriving by boat is illegal. How exactly is it an option to see asylum in Australia if you can't get on a plane? That, to me, seems like a get out clause for the Australian government.
Typically those fleeing troubles spill over into the next border and the next safe haven or board a flight or use any means possible to get to a safe haven. Being safe is key.

When you cross several safe borders and pay a people smuggler 10000 dollars one must question the true intent of the asylum seeker arriving by boat via a person smuggler
Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Typically those fleeing troubles spill over into the next border and the next safe haven or board a flight or use any means possible to get to a safe haven. Being safe is key.

When you cross several safe borders and pay a people smuggler 10000 dollars one must question the true intent of the asylum seeker arriving by boat via a person smuggler
Sure, question them. That's what the last government we're trying to do. This government don't want to listen. Much easier to assume that they want to come over here and live off welfare and get a free house.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, question them. That's what the last government we're trying to do. This government don't want to listen. Much easier to assume that they want to come over here and live off welfare and get a free house.
The last government failed miserably. This government was elected on the honest mandate of stopping the boats and that's exactly what they're doing and there are no surprises about the way they're doing it.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
The last government failed miserably. This government was elected on the honest mandate of stopping the boats and that's exactly what they're doing and there are no surprises about the way they're doing it.
No they're not. The boats are still coming, they are just not getting to Australia. As well as that, the government aren't reporting them. We're hearing about them when they are reported to have returned to Indonesia on a boat provided by the Australian government. This government were in fact voted in to stop them. But they'll cal it a win if they show you that they aren't getting to Australia.

The last government showed more compassion and willing to assist. This government is borderline racist.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No they're not. The boats are still coming, they are just not getting to Australia. As well as that, the government aren't reporting them.
That's the key point! People will point at a graph and say...'look, Howard stopped the boats'. He didn't. He changed the definition of Australia so that arrivals on far flung territories were no longer counted. So as you say, it's more of a case of 'we'll stop counting the boats!'.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No they're not. The boats are still coming, they are just not getting to Australia. As well as that, the government aren't reporting them. We're hearing about them when they are reported to have returned to Indonesia on a boat provided by the Australian government. This government were in fact voted in to stop them. But they'll cal it a win if they show you that they aren't getting to Australia.

The last government showed more compassion and willing to assist. This government is borderline racist.
So what's your suggestion then?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 6:29 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
That's the key point! People will point at a graph and say...'look, Howard stopped the boats'. He didn't. He changed the definition of Australia so that arrivals on far flung territories were no longer counted. So as you say, it's more of a case of 'we'll stop counting the boats!'.
You both know as well as I do that boat arrivals have gone from one or more a day to one or more a month and dropping. Tough love stops the boats and the drownings where compassion and being "willing to assist" encourages them. The government has made it clear: "If you are a genuine asylum seeker then you'll have to get in the queue".
Old Mar 1st 2014, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
That's nonsense. Most Australians accept the refugee program as long as its orderly and as fair as possible (and people paying people smugglers to come here on boats means people in camps have NO chance). There are at least 40 million refugees in the world - we open ourselves up to that where we will it end? At what point do we say no more? I am sick to death of Lefties claiming the moral high ground and calling everyone else a bigot just because they don't want open borders. ATM this debacle is costing $17 Billion dollars a year and is importing people who are prone to being on welfare for a long time. Australians are generous people and do not deserve to be smeared as just 'I'm alright thanks jack', selfish pricks. Thankfully most middle of the road Australians are sensible and not willing to do what is stupendously stupid and open the country to endless arrivals f people on leaky boats.
Just as most sensible people know it is not a crime to seek asylum nor does anybody call for open borders. The solution comes from an agreement with Indonesia with regards the number accepted per year and a proper waiting system for those deemed a refugee.

Failing that withdrawal from UNHCR and accepting none. At least be honest as a nation.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
You both know as well as I do that boat arrivals have gone from one or more a day to one or more a month and dropping. Tough love stops the boats and the drownings where compassion and being "willing to assist" encourages them. The government has made it clear: "If you are a genuine asylum seeker then you'll have to get in the queue".
There is no queue as well you should know. It is a lucky dip. Being monsoon time this time of year was usually quiet. How do we know under the secrecy how many boats have been turned around or even lost? Certainly love doesn't enter into it. More a case of stop the boats at any cost.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what's your suggestion then?
A proper responsible policy for starters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.