Reload this Page >

Apologies for lots of Questions, but any help would be great

Apologies for lots of Questions, but any help would be great

Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:41 am
Just Joined

anewstartplease is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apologies for lots of Questions, but any help would be great

Hi Guys

I am so glad this site exists, i could do with some pointers.

My partner and I have pretty much had enough of the UK , and would like to move to somewhere warmer and hopefully with better quality of life.

We at present are looking at Brisbane (or Gold Coast) and the Canaries, any other suggestions based on our circumstances would be great. (I will also post same in the spain forum)

We are in our late 40s and 50s and really want a new start, theres no time scale, we are just looking to see what our best option is.

I work in website building/design/marketing, and have a reasonable IT knowledge, my partner is currently working as a Carer and doing her NVQ2.

I also am branching out in creating an income from internet marketing, cant really say how much i would hope to earn monthly by the time we go, but at a worst scenario to start with i would hope $1000 a month, or i could work full time for a website company, whichever is better for getting residency.

We also have my partners mother (if she is still alive by then), she is classed as disabled and here gets a pension, pension credit and attendance allowance.

so ok the questions.

In an ideal world.

I see IT skills is on the list of skills required, does that include website work?
Is their a demand for Carers?
What would be the best Visa to apply for?
Can you get residency if you are self employed?
Would it be possible to buy and run a guesthouse or B&B?
We would love to live near the sea, is that possible based on circumstances?
Can my partners mother get the same sort of benefits, or where do i look to find out?
How does healthcare work?
How much would we need to start with, to feel at least secure?
Does it help with residency or anything else if we have friends/non-immediate family in Aus?
What are the most peaceful, nice areas of Brisbane or Gold Coast?
Is their a checklist as to what we would need to do?

Anyone else gone their in their 40s/50s and how have u found it?

Last edited by anewstartplease; Feb 6th 2012 at 8:47 am.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apologies for lots of Questions, but any help would be great

You have two issues that may well be major stumbling blocks.

1. Your age. It is VERY difficult - practically impossible - for anyone over the age of 45 to qualify for an independent visa. That only leaves you with employer-sponsorship - which doesn't sound ideal bearing in mind you're self-employed. If you wanted to go for it, you have to find your own employer willing to sponsor you.

2. Your partner's mother. Doesn't sound as if she's financially dependent on you (as she has pensions etc) which means she can't be added to any visa you might get. Her disability may also disqualify her anyway, on medical grounds.

Check out the visa wizard on the DIAC site to see if anything there fits your bill.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC
You have two issues that may well be major stumbling blocks.

1. Your age. It is VERY difficult - practically impossible - for anyone over the age of 45 to qualify for an independent visa. That only leaves you with employer-sponsorship - which doesn't sound ideal bearing in mind you're self-employed. If you wanted to go for it, you have to find your own employer willing to sponsor you.

2. Your partner's mother. Doesn't sound as if she's financially dependent on you (as she has pensions etc) which means she can't be added to any visa you might get. Her disability may also disqualify her anyway, on medical grounds.

Check out the visa wizard on the DIAC site to see if anything there fits your bill.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/
Thanks for the link, i will take a look

How do people go about retiring there? or setting up a non essential business?, it must happen, im just trying to find a way that we could use to be able to stay there.

Be interesting to see what other people did.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anewstartplease

How do people go about retiring there? or setting up a non essential business?, it must happen, im just trying to find a way that we could use to be able to stay there.

Have a look at the link posted and you will find there are various retirement visas and business visas
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:15 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

For the retirement visa I believe you would require assets worth $750k (513,000 GBP) to live in a city and $500,000 for a regional area. You would only be able to work 20 hours a week.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The assets required for the retirement visa make it prohibitive for most. Australia is not loking for retirees and this is reflected in the visa rules. Some people might retire in Australia on the parent visa but of course you need children here for that. The business visa is for people with a track record of running a substantial business, it is not designed for people that want to move to Australia to run a business for the first time.

Your chances seem very slim, I think that Europe is a more realistic option.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

I am so glad this site exists, i could do with some pointers.

My partner and I have pretty much had enough of the UK , and would like to move to somewhere warmer and hopefully with better quality of life.
Regardless of visas, I don't understand the 'better quality of life' that is banded about so much. The same crap exists here as it does in the UK. Both countries, imo anyway, are brilliant places but both have similar problems. Do you know Australia well?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

People running from the UK, rather than running to Australia, are IMO often the first to be running back to the UK, when they discover that the reasons they left the UK have followed them to Australia!

BB
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:37 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
People running from the UK, rather than running to Australia, are IMO often the first to be running back to the UK, when they discover that the reasons they left the UK have followed them to Australia!

BB
Totally agree.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Regardless of visas, I don't understand the 'better quality of life' that is banded about so much. The same crap exists here as it does in the UK. Both countries, imo anyway, are brilliant places but both have similar problems. Do you know Australia well?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We are not running from anywhere, just to make things clear.

There are somethings in Aus that according to statistics, and from people we know in Aus etc are better there than in the UK.

Things like the weather, general friendliness of people, to be able to sit on a non crowded beach at some point in the year without freezing to death.

Yes there will be issues n problems everywhere, but issues when warm are better than issues when cold.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

I am 37 and wife is 32, and believe me, we thing that we should have done this way ages before now.. There are A LOT of barriers to overcome when you emigrate and you will need to have a lot of energy, patience and continuous anger management exercises before start enjoying this great country.

I ran a successful business in pretty much the same area as you and it has costed me tears, sweat and lots of money to start seeing the door a bit open not even for business opportunities but to "the rat race". I still want to start a new business but now is inconceivable because I have to start building networking from scratch in a country 90% based in "who you know" on businesses.

On the other hand, don't want to let you down, but based in the information and questions you are asking, I think that your expectations are a bit unrealistic.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Thats ok

I am of no means thinking it would be simple let alone even possible

But if i dont ask i dont get, so always useful to see what everyone says.

I knew Aus would be far harder than southern Europe, but always worth seeing whats possible.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We are not running from anywhere, just to make things clear.

There are somethings in Aus that according to statistics, and from people we know in Aus etc are better there than in the UK.

Things like the weather, general friendliness of people, to be able to sit on a non crowded beach at some point in the year without freezing to death.

Yes there will be issues n problems everywhere, but issues when warm are better than issues when cold.
Totally agree. There are some weird people around who think the opposite

Not sure about statistics proving anything but if it works for you then excellent so good luck to you.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Well, also considering the 22% unemployment rate in spain now, I would invest in changing the wallpaper at home, new sofa and new TV until the economy starts going up.. I've heard from friends in Spain that things are getting beyond difficult over there.

Hard for me not being too realistic (somehow negative) about your post, but anyways, this thing of emigrating it's a bitch but it is great to see how far you can go, growth and learn, out of your comfort zone..

Didn't mention before but I wish you the best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.