Reload this Page >

AoS: unusual situation

AoS: unusual situation

Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:58 am
Just Joined

korneevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AoS: unusual situation

Hi,

I wanted to see if I can get some guidance from the group as to whether I qualify as an Assurer for my brother, who is applying for PR visa under “Australian sponsored” category. Basically, I have looked at Centrelink website, and telephoned them on 2 different occasions to clarify my application for Assurance of Support would be approved, and so far had been served with very mixed (and contradicting) responses.

My situation is as following:

-I received my Australian PR visa in November 2003
-I moved to Melbourne permanently only in October 2005, having worked for almost three year prior that for the United Nations in Eastern Europe
-I do not have any tax returns (obviously, as I had not been a resident for taxation purposes until October last year and due to the fact that UN earning are tax-exempt)
-I am employed in Melbourne and I earn much more that the minimum required threshold; I also have significant savings and investment portfolio, so there is no question about my ability to support my brother

Now, at least on one occasion I was been told by Centrelink over the phone that although I do not have tax statements for 2005, I should be able to put my application for AoS forward anytime after June 2006, as I will have the 2006 tax statements and will be able to provide documented proof of income for the previous year, which should warrant for the easy approval of my application.

On another occasion (i.e. today), I telephoned Centelink again to confirm my eligibility, but was provided with a very different version of third rules; now they stated that they will require me to provide tax statements for both 2005 and 2006, and if I was not a resident in Australia in 2005, then I will not be able to quality as Assurer.

The most annoying thing about this business is that you simply can’t get an appointment with the AoS people at Centelink prior your relative’s application. Their dedicated national telephone line is out of order (!!!) and one is forced to go though one of the “generalist” operators who know very little when it comes to a bit-out-of-ordinary situations. I would hate to have my brother pay his A$1,700 for visa processing only to find out a few months later that I do not quality as an Assurer and resulting in his application being refused. On the other hand, I seem not to be able to get a professional advice from Centerlink and this leaves things hanging out in the air.

I would be very thankful if one of the agents here can provide a bit of an insight for my case and I would be even glad to hire those who can assist in this situation. We do not have any other family members or friends in Australia who qualify to provide AoS, so my other option will be to ask if there is a market for providing AoS by third parties in return for a service fee and whether it is legal to do it here.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:08 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AoS: unusual situation

Originally Posted by korneevy
Hi,

I wanted to see if I can get some guidance from the group as to whether I qualify as an Assurer for my brother, who is applying for PR visa under “Australian sponsored” category. Basically, I have looked at Centrelink website, and telephoned them on 2 different occasions to clarify my application for Assurance of Support would be approved, and so far had been served with very mixed (and contradicting) responses.

-I moved to Melbourne permanently only in October 2005, having worked for almost three year prior that for the United Nations in Eastern Europe
-I do not have any tax returns (obviously, as I had not been a resident for taxation purposes until October last year and due to the fact that UN earning are tax-exempt)
-I am employed in Melbourne and I earn much more that the minimum required threshold; I also have significant savings and investment portfolio, so there is no question about my ability to support my brother

Now, at least on one occasion I was been told by Centrelink over the phone that although I do not have tax statements for 2005, I should be able to put my application for AoS forward anytime after June 2006, as I will have the 2006 tax statements and will be able to provide documented proof of income for the previous year, which should warrant for the easy approval of my application.

On another occasion (i.e. today), I telephoned Centelink again to confirm my eligibility, but was provided with a very different version of third rules; now they stated that they will require me to provide tax statements for both 2005 and 2006, and if I was not a resident in Australia in 2005, then I will not be able to quality as Assurer.

The most annoying thing about this business is that you simply can’t get an appointment with the AoS people at Centelink prior your relative’s application. Their dedicated national telephone line is out of order (!!!) and one is forced to go though one of the “generalist” operators who know very little when it comes to a bit-out-of-ordinary situations. I would hate to have my brother pay his A$1,700 for visa processing only to find out a few months later that I do not quality as an Assurer and resulting in his application being refused. On the other hand, I seem not to be able to get a professional advice from Centerlink and this leaves things hanging out in the air.

I would be very thankful if one of the agents here can provide a bit of an insight for my case and I would be even glad to hire those who can assist in this situation. We do not have any other family members or friends in Australia who qualify to provide AoS, so my other option will be to ask if there is a market for providing AoS by third parties in return for a service fee and whether it is legal to do it here.

Thanks in advance!
Is your brother using an agent?

It might well save time and expense if he were to approach a couple and ask them - there are dozens of threads on good agents, try a search.

Equally try posting in the immgration forum as there are agents that browse through there and offer their advice too.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by korneevy
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
The visa application charge is more than $1700.

If you expect to get the same answer twice from Centrelink, you expect too much.

In any case what they tell you over the telephone is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Centrelink are inflexible about requiring the last two year's ATO Notices of Assessment, showing a qualifying income, from prospective assurers.

There are commercial organisations that provide assurances of support, for a FEE.

An assurer does not have to be a natural person.

If time is not a crucial factor you might consider deferring a visa application until you can satisfy the AoS criteria.

Best wishes
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Centrelink are a little stricter on tax returns...you do need 2years and PR and the visa app charge westly is correct...

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/990i_booklet6.htm

There are companies who can put your brother in touch with assurers, unless you have made a friend over there who could help him out.

I have some details of companies who can direct him further, but there is a significant cost for them to assure him.

If you want the details, send me a PM. I went through all this in december.

Other useful threads:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=assurance

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=assurance

this following thread is the one that helped us through the stressful times of it all:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343041

Hope they help you a little.

I think you are very wise considering now at this stage, before (as you state) the money is paid out for the app.