Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AOS + $150 to set up commonwealth bank account..

AOS + $150 to set up commonwealth bank account..

Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:04 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Question AOS + $150 to set up commonwealth bank account..

Today I have read on this website, you need to pay Commonwealth bank $150 to set up a long term bank account to deposit the assurance of support bond for 138 visas. Is this correct? Is this $150 taken out of the bond, or is it extra, so you would need $5150 for a couple? Do you get the $150 back after 2 years on top of the bond?

Having doing extensive research on the AOS procedure, it is only now we find about this extra cost, no-where did we read this on any official docs from Centrelink, and we have not covered it in the transfer of money to our assurrer. Any help from any other previous 138/139'ers or recent AOS interviewees much appreciated.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: AOS + $150 to set up commonwealth bank account..

Originally Posted by C&R
Today I have read on this website, you need to pay Commonwealth bank $150 to set up a long term bank account to deposit the assurance of support bond for 138 visas. Is this correct? Is this $150 taken out of the bond, or is it extra, so you would need $5150 for a couple? Do you get the $150 back after 2 years on top of the bond?

Having doing extensive research on the AOS procedure, it is only now we find about this extra cost, no-where did we read this on any official docs from Centrelink, and we have not covered it in the transfer of money to our assurrer. Any help from any other previous 138/139'ers or recent AOS interviewees much appreciated.

Don't know but I would love to as we have a bond due out within the year
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by C&R

It's extra, we were $5000 plus $190. I don't know want bank it was with though, it was my cousin who set it up. And yes we were 138.

Dave
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R

Yes we found this out later. You don't get the $150 back and they pay the interest at about 2%. This is paid to the assurer (I think quarterly)but they have to pay for the privilege of cashing this cheque. Our assurer complained about this charge but this fell on deaf ears as the banks here do not give a toss.

Good luck on your move

John
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:55 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Yes we found this out later. You don't get the $150 back and they pay the interest at about 2%. This is paid to the assurer (I think quarterly)but they have to pay for the privilege of cashing this cheque. Our assurer complained about this charge but this fell on deaf ears as the banks here do not give a toss.

Good luck on your move

John
Thanks for your responses.
We have provided the bond to the assurer, so I would expect we would get the $5000 + any interest accrued back. But we had not given any thought to bank fees, we thought Centrelink/Dimia had a bank account dedicated to the AOS, the assurer pays in the money when requested,and the bond is held and distributed after 2 years. How naieve of us. What I find hard to believe is that this info is not printed on any documents centrelink have to do with the AOS. I am really quite cross about this, as today is the first time this info came to light.....
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by C&R
Thanks for your responses.
We have provided the bond to the assurer, so I would expect we would get the $5000 + any interest accrued back. But we had not given any thought to bank fees, we thought Centrelink/Dimia had a bank account dedicated to the AOS, the assurer pays in the money when requested,and the bond is held and distributed after 2 years. How naieve of us. What I find hard to believe is that this info is not printed on any documents centrelink have to do with the AOS. I am really quite cross about this, as today is the first time this info came to light.....
yip same here, I was really surprised and having only enough money to give them the bond I was quite taken back when they told me I had to also pay for setting up the account, but what can you do? It'll be worth it
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:14 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Daveh777
yip same here, I was really surprised and having only enough money to give them the bond I was quite taken back when they told me I had to also pay for setting up the account, but what can you do? It'll be worth it
I guess it will...thanks Daveh777, the thing is, this has really got to me, because its like how much more money do you have to pay out..YOu get charged transferring money to Oz to the assurer, you get charged in the UK to transfer the money, you get charged at the assurers Oz bank account, then you get another charge setting up a new account to deposit the money..its really quite infuriating. And now, we have to transfer more money to the Assurer to cover this new bank account fee, and then get charged all over again from the UK & their bank in Oz. AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:22 am
C&R

Daveh777 - has the new bank account fee gone up to $190? did you deposit the bond with Commonwealth?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C&R
I guess it will...thanks Daveh777, the thing is, this has really got to me, because its like how much more money do you have to pay out..YOu get charged transferring money to Oz to the assurer, you get charged in the UK to transfer the money, you get charged at the assurers Oz bank account, then you get another charge setting up a new account to deposit the money..its really quite infuriating. And now, we have to transfer more money to the Assurer to cover this new bank account fee, and then get charged all over again from the UK & their bank in Oz. AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Don't stress, just think about all the time you'll be sitting at the pool or at the beach with a couple of beers enjoying life like your meant to be
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:25 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Daveh777
Don't stress, just think about all the time you'll be sitting at the pool or at the beach with a couple of beers enjoying life like your meant to be
Cheers! and thanks for your help.