Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anzac Events in Perth

Anzac Events in Perth

Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:53 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Anzac Events in Perth

Can anyone share some advice on where to go tomorrow in Perth to observe the Anzac commemorations? I've seen mention of dawn services, but we can't do this with five littleuns. Are there parades in the city; is King's Park the palce to go? If so when? (I also caught the end of the ad for the King's Park lights yesterday). Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:14 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anzac Events in Perth

Going someway towards answering my own question...

http://www.rslwahq.org.au/anzacperth.html
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Jeda will become famous soon enoughJeda will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bal56
Can anyone share some advice on where to go tomorrow in Perth to observe the Anzac commemorations? I've seen mention of dawn services, but we can't do this with five littleuns. Are there parades in the city; is King's Park the palce to go? If so when? (I also caught the end of the ad for the King's Park lights yesterday). Thanks in advance for your help.
Just head to the city centre - maybe around 9am to get parking or better still take the train from Currambine - there are plently of parades all morning - pretty impressive and sometimes very moving to see all these elderly chaps either marching or in cars as they can no longer walk - enjoy the day.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few people at work are going to the dawn events in Kings Park. There is a procession through the city a bit later on which finishes about 1pm according to the ad in the West Australian.

It is obviously a bigger thing than 11th November back in the UK so now I feel a little guilty that we are using the day for a barbie
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:05 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
Quite a few people at work are going to the dawn events in Kings Park. There is a procession through the city a bit later on which finishes about 1pm according to the ad in the West Australian.

It is obviously a bigger thing than 11th November back in the UK so now I feel a little guilty that we are using the day for a barbie
Shame on you BBQing on Anzac day , I even feel bad for you

See you 2mo
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:10 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

We will be at Kings Park with our 4 from 4.30am. Its the least we can do.

Anyone that knows us, or even if you dont, give us a yell and we are more than happy to meet up there.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:33 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Pubs open at 12 tomorrow for all those that might have a thirst on
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

If you really feel like a bit of adventure, get yourself off to Albany for next year's Dawn Service, its too late for this year's one

That's where the whole shebang started as that was the final rendezvous and last gathering point before the Aust and NZ contingent left Australia. As such, the Ceremoney is quite moving. There is also quite a bit to see in Albany anyways.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:47 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
We will be at Kings Park with our 4 from 4.30am. Its the least we can do.

Anyone that knows us, or even if you dont, give us a yell and we are more than happy to meet up there.
We're going in 1 car with Chris & Mairi.
Should be there for about 5.30.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Went to a dawn service a couple of years ago in The Bloke's small home town (Hicksville, Qld!) Very moving experience, I have to say, and worth the effort.

Spare a thought and a prayer this year for the people in Darwin - after all the WW2 bombings they went through, as well as Gallipoli etc, but Anzac Day Parades are cancelled while they await the arrival of Cyclone Tracy Mark 2 (AKA Monica).
Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

The best ANZAC Day I ever had was in Brissy at the Reserve Barracks on Kelvin Grove Road!!

Started at the Dawn service......and drank until 8pm that night!! Played 2-up and heard a million stories from the old boys!! Was a BRILLIANT day!

If you arent sure what to do tomorrow, and dont have a bbq at home planned...head to your nearest RSL...I can guarantee there will be something going on there...

Enjoy!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:30 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
The best ANZAC Day I ever had was in Brissy at the Reserve Barracks on Kelvin Grove Road!!

Started at the Dawn service......and drank until 8pm that night!! Played 2-up and heard a million stories from the old boys!! Was a BRILLIANT day!

If you arent sure what to do tomorrow, and dont have a bbq at home planned...head to your nearest RSL...I can guarantee there will be something going on there...

Enjoy!
I think over here (in the west) you have to be a member or be invited by a member. Things are generally more laidback in these sort of areas over east.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I think over here (in the west) you have to be a member or be invited by a member. Things are generally more laidback in these sort of areas over east.

You can go to MOST RSL's a couple of times a year if you are local to it without becoming a member. I think they are generally a little more relaxed on ANZAC day....