Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ANZ Bank Account - advice please

ANZ Bank Account - advice please

Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Default ANZ Bank Account - advice please

Hi
We have received our account details for our new bank account for when we get to Aus - how is the best and cheapest way to transfer funds into it
thankyou
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZ Bank Account - advice please

You can probably do a search on the forum and find heaps of options for this! We did the same - opened an ANZ account from the UK. Once we had this we started an account with Tranzfers (www.tranzfers.com). Then you go into tranzfers and set up a transfer. So say you want to move £10k, you set that up and put in your ANZ account as where it is to be deposited.

Then you transfer your money from your UK bank to the Tranzfers account (takes 3 days) and then when you are happy with the rate you log into Tranzfers and essentially say 'go'. So the money is moved and generally appears in your ANZ account overnight. There is a £7 fee for each transfer, but if you call and speak to them and tell them how much you want to move overall they should comp this fee on at least a few ocassions.

We have had no problems at all with tranzfers. Bert's mum is coming over to visit later this year and she has put some money into our UK account so we can move it over for her, as it is simpliest way we have found.

Stella
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Hi
We have received our account details for our new bank account for when we get to Aus - how is the best and cheapest way to transfer funds into it
thankyou
Not sure if you are bringing a big amount over from a house sale etc but i was told today the best savings rate with the ANZ for sums over 100,000$ is 5.1%, a lot of other banks offer a much better savings rate ( I am thinking of going with the suncorp who offer 5.5%).....ANZ might be ok for an everyday (current type) a/c but worth comparing with other banks for savings/deposit accounts
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:25 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Not sure if you are bringing a big amount over from a house sale etc but i was told today the best savings rate with the ANZ for sums over 100,000$ is 5.1%, a lot of other banks offer a much better savings rate ( I am thinking of going with the suncorp who offer 5.5%).....ANZ might be ok for an everyday (current type) a/c but worth comparing with other banks for savings/deposit accounts
Have you looked into INGDIRECT. Last time I looked the were offering 5.5% with no penalty for withdrawing, many other accounts charge you the interest you should have received on the whole amount in that account.
Hope that makes sense. You can open a account with as little as £1 in the uk not sure about oz.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:27 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Hi
thankyou
Do you have to wait until you have a visa to open an account with ANZ, and do you have a limited time to activate, I don't mean the time from when you land in Oz but the time overall?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Shirley
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:29 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Do you have to wait until you have a visa to open an account with ANZ, and do you have a limited time to activate, I don't mean the time from when you land in Oz but the time overall?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Shirley
You can open a account online but this will only allow you to put money into the account, to withdraw money you have to go to a ANZ bank in oz with proof of ID and an address in oz.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Have you looked into INGDIRECT. Last time I looked the were offering 5.5% with no penalty for withdrawing, many other accounts charge you the interest you should have received on the whole amount in that account.
Hope that makes sense. You can open a account with as little as £1 in the uk not sure about oz.

INGDIRECT are linked to ANZ bank and their savings rates in Oz is 5.4% ....so they are not as competitive as some like the Suncorp( 5.5%) and HSBC (5.7% for up to 100,000$) of savings.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:43 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

I just opened an account today with ANZ too transfering the money with ozforex, no charge wat so ever(above £3,000) that is, you have to regester with ozforex which is dead easy, even a div like me did it!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:36 pm
Life's a gamble

INGDIRECT are linked to ANZ bank and their savings rates in Oz is 5.4% ....so they are not as competitive as some like the Suncorp( 5.5%) and HSBC (5.7% for up to 100,000$) of savings.
5.7% for up to OR over $100,000 ?
and if you withdraw do you get charged or do they not pay you interest for that month?
Interested to find out, if they don't have charges then that is a very good rate.
Thanks for the info.

Suni
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:39 pm
Life's a gamble

Originally Posted by stutess
I just opened an account today with ANZ too transfering the money with ozforex, no charge wat so ever(above £3,000) that is, you have to regester with ozforex which is dead easy, even a div like me did it!!!!
Canyou withdraw from the account while still in UK?
I was told you have to go to ANZ bank in oz and have proof before they do?

Suni
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

You have to go to the branch initially to provide 100pts of ID. I think if you go to the bank within 6 weeks of your arrival all you need is your passport. Once you have proved you are the account holder then they will issue you with a card and you can withdraw cash etc, at ATMs and EFTPOS (oz equiv of cashback at the till). Once you have done this, say on a Reccie trip, then you can use your atm card in UK atms, but you will be charged for foreign withdrawal plus exchange rate etc.

The ANZ branch on George st in sydney were extremely friendly and helpful, although I have found all the ANZ branches to be that way anyhoo.

ING do not charge for withdrawals at all, and the money moves in 24 hours between accounts (not 3 days like the UK). I think you can open the account with just $1 - I think I put $50 in to start. You can open an ING account online but you need to be in Oz first - for an address and also your Tax File Number is needed too.

S
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

5.7% for up to OR over $100,000 ?
and if you withdraw do you get charged or do they not pay you interest for that month?
Interested to find out, if they don't have charges then that is a very good rate.
Thanks for the info.

Suni
5.7% with the HSBC is only for amounts UP to, 100,000 $ so if you want to deposit a larger amount (say from a house sale) you are probably better off elsewhere.... thats why we are thinking of going with suncorp who give 5.5% and daily interest, instant access and no charge for withdrawals, I think Westpac has similar rates to this too.
Don't forget tho you will be taxed on this.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:30 pm
Life's a gamble

5.7% with the HSBC is only for amounts UP to, 100,000 $ so if you want to deposit a larger amount (say from a house sale) you are probably better off elsewhere.... thats why we are thinking of going with suncorp who give 5.5% and daily interest, instant access and no charge for withdrawals, I think Westpac has similar rates to this too.
Don't forget tho you will be taxed on this.
Thanks for the info.
Looks a good deal.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:53 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Suni
no
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:54 pm
flirt

Suni
you have to go into the bank to activate the account

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.