Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I would be really interested to know what industry pays a million euro's a year and isn't part of financial services.
A mine manager in the iron-ore/gold industry would be on $400-750k + bonus - which could maybe get to 1m euros.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinH
That is true. We have everything we want but are not extravagent. My main aim is be in a position to retire as early as possible (by 55 at the latest - I am 46 now). That's not to say I would retire but I want the option.
On that income you should be able to retire at 35 and pay the rest of British Expats to retire too! On a serious note, the stress that usually goes with those sort of salaries often means that you do burn out more quickly and need to retire earlier. Also there is an awful lot more to lose if things go wrong, there is increased responsibility involved in maintaining what you own, and you cannot be sure why your friends are your friends unless they are equally affluent.

Think I'll stick to my 10% of your income... unless of course someone comes along with a better offer....
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:08 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
On that income you should be able to retire at 35 and pay the rest of British Expats to retire too! On a serious note, the stress that usually goes with those sort of salaries often means that you do burn out more quickly and need to retire earlier. Also there is an awful lot more to lose if things go wrong, there is increased responsibility involved in maintaining what you own, and you cannot be sure why your friends are your friends unless they are equally affluent.

Think I'll stick to my 10% of your income... unless of course someone comes along with a better offer....
Just look at me and I'm only 28

If you have to even consider why your friends are with you it spells trouble. But your point is taken

We have both people who earn substantially more and less than us that we call close friends. The earning has nothing to do with the basis of our friendship (well from my chair anyway) more they are decent people who I like being with.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I would be really interested to know what industry pays a million euro's a year and isn't part of financial services.
Personal services? Drugs? Gun-running?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Personal services? Drugs? Gun-running?
All three of them are loosely connected to the er...'import export business'
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:47 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertC
Emigrating to OZ does hurt financially and it could take years to get your standard of living back, moving out here is not for financial reasons for most, its for family reasons.
While a lot of responses on this can be, and do tend to be, pretty subjective, i believe this particular comment to be one of the most accurate and objective that you could get.
Saying that, for some, emigrating to Oz can put them in a better position right frrom day1, both from a financial and a quality of life perspective, just as for others, the complete opposite holds true.
The only way for any answer to this question to be truly meaningful is to know the entire background, foreground and futureground of the person giving the response (not something that can be readily provided !)

The only real way to know if emigrating is right for you, is to try it, and to give it a red hot go for a couple of years before drawing conclusions as to whether it has 'worked' or not.

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jan 17th 2010 at 12:24 am.