Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Originally Posted by robclaridge
OK. OK guys. Reality check. EVERYONE posting on here seems to be on 120k
more like $50k actually
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Been here 15 months now and if It wasn't for the fish I catch and eat, we would starve lol, never been so skint in my life. But as long as kids happy, we are happy and hopefully soom my licensing will be sorted so I can work for once and live happly ever after.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

In Oz I was earning around $700,000 - which sounds like a lot but when you compare that to what i was earning in Europe (close to the equivalent of $1 million) it was a big decrease. Australia is also (IMHO) an expensive place to live.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:33 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinH
In Oz I was earning around $700,000 - which sounds like a lot but when you compare that to what i was earning in Europe (close to the equivalent of $1 million) it was a big decrease. Australia is also (IMHO) an expensive place to live.
hah...is that all when I was playing for Spurs before my injury I was on that a month.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If it's any consolation, I am not on $120k a year; not even close!

My income is between $70-$80k and we're very comfortable on it.
Aye, we could survive on that (with 1 school age sprog) and still afford to keep 3 cars on the road (long story).

Home loan of $260,000 (or whatever it is down to now) would still get paid and I'd still get pissed occasionally.

All depends on your expectations and lifestyle I guess.

No idea if financially I'm better or worse off compared to the UK, I don't do comparisons, this is home so there isn't much point really.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

DAMN RIGHT WE ARE BETTER OFF HERE!
And the weather is better around here

Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

OK. OK guys. Reality check. EVERYONE posting on here seems to be on 120k (I wish) That is an above average salary. I would hazard a guess that the norm is around 60 - 70k. If I was earning 120k here it really would be eutopia! Instead I earn around 90k and its only heaven
We must be in the poor area of Australia

Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MartinH
In Oz I was earning around $700,000 - which sounds like a lot
....... You are right it does sound like a lot. That's more than 10 years of our income !

Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

for 2 adults and i child our total income last year was $45 000
add about another $15 000 from centerlink for family tax A+B, parenting payment and rent assistance
we are a lot better off than the 2006-08 we spent back in the uk
on one income of £30 000

both times in private rent, one a 2 bed damp terrace one a 3 bed house across the road from the beach.
ohh and the income was from me working 50-60 hours a week in the uk and the mrs working 25-30 over here

before we had children, me and the mrs lived in sydney on a joint income of just over $120 000, never had so much ssurpluscash

as a home renter you get so much more for your money over here, low income families get more help from the government, for us bills are a lot less than the uk, no water rates, no council tax, no gas
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
....... You are right it does sound like a lot. That's more than 10 years of our income !
But more often than not with that salary comes the lifestyle to suit. cars, houses, clothes, holidays - most people who earn a high salary still live just within their means and some over - horses for courses really.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
But more often than not with that salary comes the lifestyle to suit. cars, houses, clothes, holidays - most people who earn a high salary still live just within their means and some over - horses for courses really.
...and more often than not they work in the financial services industry and get paid to gamble with other peoples money....and a bonus, win or lose.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and more often than not they work in the financial services industry and get paid to gamble with other peoples money....and a bonus, win or lose.
Is it too late for me to move to Mexico, live in a small wooden hut and get a $1,000,000 bank loan? Although I'd have no income I'd promise to pay it all back. The bank could even sell my debt on to another bank for a profit if they wanted to.
Or have I missed that particular boat
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:22 am
Just Joined

thewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nice

When we lived in the UK our mortgage was 34K and we earned around 25K a year between us. Our current Aussie mortgage is 370k and we earn about 90k between us. We have 2 cars,2 bikes and a camper to rego so it's a squeeze. We may not be financially ahead, but our house is 3 times bigger than back home and opening the door to sunshine everyday, going up the beach for a fishing trip or seeing the weather and filth back home on the telly, I know i'm better off here. Like someone else pointed out. If you're skint in the UK then you'll probably be skint here!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Is anyone worse off in Oz compared to UK?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed.

Look some things cost here - dentists, groceries. Overall, I'd say the costs are comparitive. We're about to start the camping lark - can't wait.

Look salaries vary. I met a friend who told me she gets 56k for a lot of work. She was talking about skills etc and how far she has come - she is 44 - and I guessed she was on 60-80k. My mouth fell open when she told me.
Haha, Badge you are a true Aussie now!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't work in the financial services industry and certainly don't get paid to gamble with other peoples money. I studied hard and worked my way up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.