British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone working in Substations or on HV equipment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-working-substations-hv-equipment-503343/)

darren k Jan 3rd 2008 7:36 pm

Anyone working in Substations or on HV equipment

Hi All

Is anyone working in substations or installing the equipment in substations as this is the job I do. What i want to know is what license I need to apply for once I get an ARTC. I've looked through various threads but still unsure what one I require as the majority of work is nuts and bolts although in the UK I was switching authourised up to 400,000 volts aswell and was a SF6 gas gas handler.
Just wanted to hear from people in the job already working for Energex or other Transmission companies, maybe back home you worked for the CEGB or EDF and National Grid as I do
replies greatly appreciated

Darren

darren k Jan 4th 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Anyone working in Substations or on HV equipment

Anybody??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????:unsure::lol:

darren k Jan 8th 2008 7:47 pm

:curse: Obviously not, but for any new people i'll ask again whether anybody either in Aus or going work in the Substation Industry or with High Voltage?
Would really like to chat and see what you are doing or plan to do with your career out in Aus.
Darren:wink_smile:

donkey polly Jan 31st 2008 4:40 pm

Hi this is a reply to Darren K. Hopefully you'll read this as its been a few weeks since you sent out a shout, anyway, I am in the HV buisness, I've got a job offer with Energex. Just a case of waiting for the 457 visa now. Is there any info I can help you with ?

bjddavies Jan 31st 2008 7:09 pm

I do.

Send me a pm.

darren k Feb 4th 2008 7:01 am

Thanks guys for your replies, just wondering if you both received my PM as have not heard back from you both:confused:
Darren

darren k Feb 4th 2008 7:06 am

Originally Posted by darren k (Post 5881280)
Thanks guys for your replies, just wondering if you both received my PM as have not heard back from you both:confused:
Darren

sorry B Davies just checked my inbox and seen your messages, thought you got notified by email like you do when repliying to a thread
Darren

migrantoz Feb 4th 2008 11:44 am

Try this website to find out what you need to know. If it's not there then look for a phone number and call them, they'll probably be pretty helpful.
I guarantee that it wont be easy getting your licence unless you are really lucky. It takes a fair bit of hassle, study etc. but will be worth it in the end. Don't be put off by it, just work through it and put it all behind you.

donkey polly Feb 4th 2008 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by darren k (Post 5881280)
Darren

Hi darren K . no I never received your pm, I don't seem to be able to access them as I am new and havent submitted enough posts, how queer.

darren k Feb 4th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by donkey polly (Post 5884640)
Hi darren K . no I never received your pm, I don't seem to be able to access them as I am new and havent submitted enough posts, how queer.

Go into your profile at the top left and you should be able to access them that way, if not i will try again
Darren:thumbsup:

Amazulu Feb 4th 2008 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by darren k (Post 5735274)
Hi All

Is anyone working in substations or installing the equipment in substations as this is the job I do. What i want to know is what license I need to apply for once I get an ARTC. I've looked through various threads but still unsure what one I require as the majority of work is nuts and bolts although in the UK I was switching authourised up to 400,000 volts aswell and was a SF6 gas gas handler.
Just wanted to hear from people in the job already working for Energex or other Transmission companies, maybe back home you worked for the CEGB or EDF and National Grid as I do

Darren

I design HV substations - well I used to, don't do much now. I've done some switching too. I've worked for EDF, London Electricity, Network Rail in the UK. Western Power, or Synergy/Horizon as it's know now in WA (along with their suppliers/contractord) will have your arm off. They are undertaking a massive expansion/upgrade to their network and are desperate for decent people. The mob in Qld who manage the network will be the same.

darren k Feb 5th 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by donkey polly (Post 5864996)
Hi this is a reply to Darren K. Hopefully you'll read this as its been a few weeks since you sent out a shout, anyway, I am in the HV buisness, I've got a job offer with Energex. Just a case of waiting for the 457 visa now. Is there any info I can help you with ?

How are you going on about getting your license? Are you getting it through Energex or are you doing it yourself?

Darren&Leanne Feb 5th 2008 9:34 am

Originally Posted by darren k (Post 5735274)
Hi All

Darren

Hi mate

I worked for Energex for 18months, i worked at Victoria park which is there main control centre. (huge sub st)
Also at various depots around brisbane and the call centre on warry st.
And also looked after HQ on charlotte st
At Victoria park we changed the whole mains and sub mains there.
This is the place where they `house` the Zelleweger too--- the machine that sends a pulse down the lines to turn on/off peoples Hot water relays.
I tell you summat tho it was Bloody red hot in the middle of summer--it was showing 36c on the Hospital opposite(outside temp) and it must have been (at a guess) 50c inside the sub station.
I finally left because it became too monotonous everyday and i had just got my contractors ticket.(now work for myself back in domestic and commercial.)
There is also a mob called `richardsons` who do the HV stuff too.
Hope this may be of help

Darren

donkey polly Feb 5th 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by darren k (Post 5887136)
How are you going on about getting your license? Are you getting it through Energex or are you doing it yourself?

Hi Darren regarding the reading of you previous pm's , it wont let me until I have submitted 3+ posts, so maybe after this one I will be able to. Anyway, Energex are going to sort out the licence. I was out there in Nov 07, had an interview while I was there, was meant to be a holiday but I was in the area. Just waiting on the visa now. Rented my uk house, sold the car, so now my feet are itching to go. Hows things with you ?

darren k Feb 5th 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by donkey polly (Post 5888054)
Hi Darren regarding the reading of you previous pm's , it wont let me until I have submitted 3+ posts, so maybe after this one I will be able to. Anyway, Energex are going to sort out the licence. I was out there in Nov 07, had an interview while I was there, was meant to be a holiday but I was in the area. Just waiting on the visa now. Rented my uk house, sold the car, so now my feet are itching to go. Hows things with you ?

I'm already out here and spoke to Energex at the London expo in November, got my visa and spoke to them again and they said that they would be very interested once I get my License but it's becoming a right arse ache to get but i'm sure i'll get there eventually. Applied for loads of jobs with power companies but no one really wants to know before the license:thumbdown: