Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone work for the emergency services in UK or Oz?

Anyone work for the emergency services in UK or Oz?

Old May 11th 2005, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Firefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone work for the emergency services in UK or Oz?

I want to find out more about working for the emergency services in Australia. I have been a firefighter since I left the Army (many years ago) and before this I was at school?
I have read the services websites but I wanted to hear from anyone actually working in the emergency service in Australia now. What are your experiences, are you happy? Do you earn enough to servive?
Thinking about applying to the ambulance service, not sure where to settle, so many questions and so much uncertainty!
Thanks
FF
Old May 11th 2005, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone work for the emergency services in UK or Oz?

well, I work for them, but I'm office based, not operational, so can't give you much info I'm afraid! From my point of view - working for the Counter Disaster Service in Brisbane - its a good job, and i'm as content with it as I was as a support worker for the UK police.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firefighter
I want to find out more about working for the emergency services in Australia. I have been a firefighter since I left the Army (many years ago) and before this I was at school?
I have read the services websites but I wanted to hear from anyone actually working in the emergency service in Australia now. What are your experiences, are you happy? Do you earn enough to servive?
Thinking about applying to the ambulance service, not sure where to settle, so many questions and so much uncertainty!
Thanks
FF
Hya FF. Hubby is a firefighter here (UK) and after a lot of internet exploring and help from Poll, we have decided that he is going for a complete change of career. Having been in the job 20 years, he feels he is getting too old for it! It seems to be very difficult to get in. Whatever experience you have counts for very little. You would have to take your chances with all the 18 year olds coming in.

I think all the states work vaguely the same, but Queensland only recruit about once a year and only take on a limited number. They don't even take from other states. Obviously happy to spend thousands training from scratch as opposed to taking trained personnel.

Don't know much about the ambulance service except that it is a fairly basic service compared to the UK - no paramedics as we have them. Friend is a paramedic here and they were amazed by what she was allowed to do.
Old May 11th 2005, 9:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
FF
You ought to check the St John ambulance site, I think you need to do their paramedic degree course as part of the training and it's WELL oversubscribed.

Here is the info about becoming a paramedic in WA

http://www.ambulance.net.au/html/Abo...e/careers.html

I'm in the process of joining the volunteer bush fire brigade, but as the name suggests, it's not paid, just voluntary.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Firefighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
You ought to check the St John ambulance site, I think you need to do their paramedic degree course as part of the training and it's WELL oversubscribed.

Here is the info about becoming a paramedic in WA

http://www.ambulance.net.au/html/Abo...e/careers.html

I'm in the process of joining the volunteer bush fire brigade, but as the name suggests, it's not paid, just voluntary.
thanks everyone, moneypenny, is your husband leaving the brigade - just handing in his notice?
FF
Old May 11th 2005, 9:35 pm
Badge

thanks everyone, moneypenny, is your husband leaving the brigade - just handing in his notice?
FF
The current VIC Country Fire Authority actually appears to like real experience many 18 years olds get rejected and the full time jobs are going to men in their 30s with truck licenses.

I say full time as 90pc are volunteers like myself.

badge

Old May 12th 2005, 9:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

FF
Yup - when the piggin house sells Can't wait. Has had enough anyway of white shirts shuffling papers and making c*ck ups