Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone work for in a bank in Perth ?

Anyone work for in a bank in Perth ?

Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Is this job worth doing for the salary offered ?

I have been offered a job as a customer advisor with one of the big banks,via a recruitment agency, but not sure whether to accept because of the crap salary.

The pay is $40,000 a year including 10% super for 34 hours a week Monday to Friday with a 9am start on Mondays and Fridays and 9.15am rest of the week.

I live in Baldivis so would have to travel into Perth and pay for pre and after school care. This would be $170 a week during term time and $270 a week for vacation care.

This child care centre is one of the cheaper ones. Some charge $60 a day during school holidays.

I would get very little back in Child Care Benefit/Rebate because of my husband's income.

Initially, I was going to reject the job after realising I wouldn't be left with much after child care and travel costs and tax.

But now having a rethink as the job includes training, bonuses and good prospects so it is step in the door. I'm wondering if it is worth accepting the low salary for future prospects with a large company or is this wishful thinking ?

Plus it is very hard to find work that fits in with child care hours as most centres close at 6pm or want you to work evening and/or weekend shifts.

My husband, who works in Osborne Park, leaves home at 2pm and doesn't get home until 10.30pm/11pm and works these hours on Sundays as well.

He usually has Mondays off but some weeks this can be a different day of the week. We only moved to Perth in September and have no family here so can't get help with child care and most of our friends live in Perth.

I'd very interested to hear from anyone in the banking industry for their thoughts.

Don't know which branch I would be working in but told it would be in the Perth CBD or surrounding areas such as Cottesloe, Northbridge and Floreat. No mention of branches south of the river.

Last edited by kips; Jan 21st 2012 at 9:03 am. Reason: change the title