Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For anyone who's bought a car in WA

For anyone who's bought a car in WA

Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:33 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Post For anyone who's bought a car in WA

Ok, we're arriving in Perth in 6 (Count 'em!) weeks, one of the tasks of the 1st week is to buy a motor.

Can anyone please tell me, what sort of % can you haggle off the price on average, and what "other" charges rear their ugly heads?

Cheers

Dave
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: For anyone who's bought a car in WA

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Ok, we're arriving in Perth in 6 (Count 'em!) weeks, one of the tasks of the 1st week is to buy a motor.

Can anyone please tell me, what sort of % can you haggle off the price on average, and what "other" charges rear their ugly heads?

Cheers

Dave
New or secondhand?

some useful info here:

http://rac.com.au/go/motoring/buying-a-car/buying-a-car
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:59 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quokka
New or secondhand?

some useful info here:

http://rac.com.au/go/motoring/buying-a-car/buying-a-car
Cheers Quokka!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Cheers

Dave

I will sell you a black brand new Holden Barina ( vauxhall corsa ) for A$12,500. You would also have to pay stamp duty of A$343.75. This is a good price.

http://rol.osr.wa.gov.au/taxcal/
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Paular will become famous soon enoughPaular will become famous soon enough

I work in a car show room when you arrive in Perth let me know. You can send me a private message and we can keep in touch. If you see somethin you like I can let you know if its worth it.

Cheers

Dave
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Cheers

Dave
We used a car broker who got us a brilliant deal on a new car-much better than we could have haggled.
Ali
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paular
I work in a car show room when you arrive in Perth let me know. You can send me a private message and we can keep in touch. If you see somethin you like I can let you know if its worth it.
Trust me - I'm a car salesman
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AliMay
We used a car broker who got us a brilliant deal on a new car-much better than we could have haggled.
Ali
Hi, excuse my ignorance but what and where is a car broker? We arrive in Perth next week and will be needing cars toooooo....
Thanks,
HB x
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:17 pm
Drifting back to earth

Originally Posted by AliMay
Ali
Not being nosey but could you post the figures, ie; what you bought and how much you got off it using a broker and which broker did you use?

Send me a pm if you'd rather not post the figures online

Cheers

Dave
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Not being nosey but could you post the figures, ie; what you bought and how much you got off it using a broker and which broker did you use?

Send me a pm if you'd rather not post the figures online

Cheers

Dave
Ok I reckon we got about 15% off the advertised price and saving thousands of dollars. Well we would have saved this if we hadn't been so impressed with the prices that we upgraded to a higher spec model. Our broker was a guy called Steve (sorry-not very helpful to you I know)- we got his number from our financial advisor. I can't remember the name of his firm ( it was back in the hazy first days of arriving in Perth) but there do seem to be a number of brokers out there. I just googled car brokers and a few came up. Steve used to work in fleet management and his business relied on his relationships with particular garages.
Hope this helps a little.
Ali