Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone who lives in Oz an Australian Resident?

Is anyone who lives in Oz an Australian Resident?

Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice
Question Is anyone who lives in Oz an Australian Resident?

Just came across this in a job description on seek:

"As this position is a permanent role you must be an Australian Resident to apply."

To my way of thinkin, anyone who actually resides in Oz is a resident, but this being highlighted has me wondering, cus why would someone not living in Oz apply for a job here Or perhaps the stipulation is that the applicants are Australian by birth..Can employers descriminate like that? And if so, as an English gal on a temporary (pros marriage then from May 06 spouse) visa can I only apply for temp jobs?

Or am I having a bit of a blonde moment here

Comments appreciated Thanks!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:23 am
Just Joined

expat gem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is anyone who lives in Oz an Australian Resident?

hiya I am classed as an australian resident (though not a citizen) as I came on a permanent residency visa. I think if you are here on a temporary visa then you will not be able to apply for that role. Lots of people who live outside australia apply for jobs in Oz thinking that once they have secured a job their employer will sort their visa out!

I'm also on Bribie!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LauraJ,

I came here on a pros spouse visa as well and though most jobs will SAY resident (Which you are, even if temp for the moment) they do seem to show preference to permanent residents and citizens.
It took me a while to find a company that didn't mind that I was on a temp visa (Still am actually, spouse now) but I wasn't looking THAT hard. :P
On your resume, best to put "Resident" and leave it at that. If they ask, let them know that you are a temporary visa holder but explain that it's for marriage! Often that is good enough.

Siren
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by expat gem
hiya I am classed as an australian resident (though not a citizen) as I came on a permanent residency visa. I think if you are here on a temporary visa then you will not be able to apply for that role. Lots of people who live outside australia apply for jobs in Oz thinking that once they have secured a job their employer will sort their visa out!

I'm also on Bribie!
Ooh, so you are! Where bouts? We're in Bongaree.. Thanks for the info and insight..Didn't realise pple tried for sponsorship in that way! So until I'm a permanent resident in 2008 I can only go for temporary/casual work then..
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Hi LauraJ,

I came here on a pros spouse visa as well and though most jobs will SAY resident (Which you are, even if temp for the moment) they do seem to show preference to permanent residents and citizens.
It took me a while to find a company that didn't mind that I was on a temp visa (Still am actually, spouse now) but I wasn't looking THAT hard. :P
On your resume, best to put "Resident" and leave it at that. If they ask, let them know that you are a temporary visa holder but explain that it's for marriage! Often that is good enough.

Siren
Ah right, I've been putting in my covering letter that not long come over from England (in case they don't like the accent or whatever)..May explain why I've had no replies to the 30 odd applications... "Resident" it is from now on

Thanks for that
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by LauraJ
Just came across this in a job description on seek:

"As this position is a permanent role you must be an Australian Resident to apply."

To my way of thinkin, anyone who actually resides in Oz is a resident, but this being highlighted has me wondering, cus why would someone not living in Oz apply for a job here Or perhaps the stipulation is that the applicants are Australian by birth..Can employers descriminate like that? And if so, as an English gal on a temporary (pros marriage then from May 06 spouse) visa can I only apply for temp jobs?

Or am I having a bit of a blonde moment here

Comments appreciated Thanks!
Yep - I think it means that you must have PR.

SS

Last edited by SuperSeagulls; Jan 16th 2006 at 6:47 am.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for work with Qld Govt, then you can apply for temporary jobs, and some of those can last for years. I'm on a temp contract, on a temp spouse visa. Its been renewed 5 times, and theres a good chance of it becoming permanent when I get the PR visa.
Fill the forms in, and make it clear what your status is - temp, awaiting PR gant due to marriage. What they want to avoid is employing people on temp visas like WHVs, who will then leave again very quickly.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are looking for work with Qld Govt, then you can apply for temporary jobs, and some of those can last for years. I'm on a temp contract, on a temp spouse visa. Its been renewed 5 times, and theres a good chance of it becoming permanent when I get the PR visa.
Fill the forms in, and make it clear what your status is - temp, awaiting PR gant due to marriage. What they want to avoid is employing people on temp visas like WHVs, who will then leave again very quickly.
Qld Govt would be great! Actually ANY employer an hour or less train or bus ride from Bribie would be brill I took temporary to mean short term, didn't realise some can last for years. Well that's widened my search criteria heaps Having looked up what WHVs are yeah I can understand that. Thanks very much for the info Pollyana
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Yep - I think it means that you must have PR.

SS
Thanks SS
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:30 am
Just Joined

expat gem is an unknown quantity at this point

we are over in Banksia Beach (Kakadu beach part).... just renting at the moment only arrived Oct so looking for somewhere 2 buy!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

airlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really nice

Hi!
Sorry to butt in on your post but i am going to be moving over to Oz in March with my partner on a Defacto Spouse visa. Hadn't even crossed my mind that it would be hard to find work once i'm there as his partner.
Has it been really difficult?
I have already been over to Oz on a WHV and although fun i was obviously planning to get myself permenant work this time round! and get ourselves set up properly WITHIN the 2 years of the temporary visa.
How have you found it so far?

airlie*7 xx
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by airlie*7
Hi!
Sorry to butt in on your post but i am going to be moving over to Oz in March with my partner on a Defacto Spouse visa. Hadn't even crossed my mind that it would be hard to find work once i'm there as his partner.
Has it been really difficult?
I have already been over to Oz on a WHV and although fun i was obviously planning to get myself permenant work this time round! and get ourselves set up properly WITHIN the 2 years of the temporary visa.
How have you found it so far?

airlie*7 xx
Hi Airlie,

No apology needed welcome aboard I was exactly the same. It never crossed my mind it would be anything but straight forward, and with comments from my other half such as "you'll get a job no worries with your qualifications darl" (bless his cotton socks!) I kinda took it for granted it'd be plain sailing but it hasn't been so far, though it is still early days.

Has it been really difficult? Well, put it this way, I know from reading others post that I'm not unique in having applied for over 30 jobs over the past couple of weeks (been here 4 weeks now) and have yet to hear diddly squat from anywhere.. BUT.. even when a position is advertised as needing "Immediate start" they can, apparently, take between 2-6 weeks to get back to you... I love the aussie laid back approach - I'll love it more when I get accustomed to it though

I found a great thread on this very subject from this time a year ago. Here's the link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...oto=nextnewest

There's some really informative and reassuring info there from those who've walked/are walking the path already. I've amended my CV to stipulate that I'm resident here, that Spouse visa is pending marriage in May, that I'm classed as a Permanent Resident for tax purposes (funny that eh ) and that I'm looking for Permanent or long term Termporary work, just really to make it clear I'm planning on putting down roots and staying here. Oh, and have added a couple of aussie references too, as was suggested in the above thread.

I haven't approached any agencies as yet, but when I do, if I find any that are good I'll post it on here.

Which part of Oz are you comin to?

Ah well, it's been one of "those" nights when I'm sooo tired but couldn't sleep, so better go try and get at least a couple of hours zzzs..

Ta ta for now

Laura
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

airlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really nice

Hi LauraJ!

Thanks for all the advice! Been busy sorting things out and getting excited about moving to Oz but until i found this site i never realised what a big help it is to be able to talk to people doing the same thing!

We'll be staying in Caloundra initially, but then plan to head up to the Whitsundays to set up roots there... (hence my user name!)

Hope all your wedding plans are going smoothly with the job hunt as well!

airlie*7
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by airlie*7
Hi LauraJ!

Thanks for all the advice! Been busy sorting things out and getting excited about moving to Oz but until i found this site i never realised what a big help it is to be able to talk to people doing the same thing!

We'll be staying in Caloundra initially, but then plan to head up to the Whitsundays to set up roots there... (hence my user name!)

Hope all your wedding plans are going smoothly with the job hunt as well!

airlie*7
You're very welcome I've learnt so much from the experiences others on here have shared, and it's nice to know mine have helped Will send you a PM after I grab a coffee

Laura