Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Who Knows Anyone Who Went To Oz On A Business Visa?

Anyone Who Knows Anyone Who Went To Oz On A Business Visa?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:40 am
Just Joined

ishq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone Who Knows Anyone Who Went To Oz On A Business Visa?

ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYONE WHO WENT TO OZ ON A BUSINESS VISA RECENTLY?

We are in our 30s and is seriously thinking of emigrating to Oz. we are currently working for the local authority and a charity but we do not fulfill the skills visa criteria. initial research shows we may be able to go on a business visa instead if we take some capital and buy or set up a business over there; if anyone is doing or has done this we would love to hear from them and their experience?

Also we dont know anyone in Oz so we would like tips on which city to go to; what are the pros / cons / weather of brisbane, melbourne, sidney, perth, adelaide in terms of family (we have a 9 year old) / social life, diversity, education etc? we are new at this so any advice would be welcomed, thanks
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We came on a business visa - a 131 (i think) which is the investor sub class (and so didn't require setting up a business).

Personally, I would not have come here if I had to commit to setting up a business straight away. I think you need a couple of years to settle in to the way of doing things here first. We have only been here 6 months and are still on a very steep learning curve and that's without the complications of a company. On the other side of the coin, we have 3 kids and so we have other complications.

If nothing else, I would recommend a visit first. If you arrive here having to buy a business, I think the "just of the boat factor" would increase the price horrendously.

HTH

Mike.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:30 am
Just Joined

slec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone Who Knows Anyone Who Went To Oz On A Business Visa?

Originally posted by ishq
ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYONE WHO WENT TO OZ ON A BUSINESS VISA RECENTLY?

We are in our 30s and is seriously thinking of emigrating to Oz. we are currently working for the local authority and a charity but we do not fulfill the skills visa criteria. initial research shows we may be able to go on a business visa instead if we take some capital and buy or set up a business over there; if anyone is doing or has done this we would love to hear from them and their experience?

Also we dont know anyone in Oz so we would like tips on which city to go to; what are the pros / cons / weather of brisbane, melbourne, sidney, perth, adelaide in terms of family (we have a 9 year old) / social life, diversity, education etc? we are new at this so any advice would be welcomed, thanks
Hi we have been in Vic for 4 months now (Geelong 1hr from Mel) on a skilled visa.Our friends moved to Qld 2 weeks after us on a business visa and have looked at a few busineses with no luck. They tell me you have to employe 3 Ozes for two years and have a turn over of 2mil$ so it is not an easy way to a visa they have 5 years two do this in.
There are lots of different busi for sale in Vic each week some seem very good others not so good and some well you are just buying a job.www.tradingpost.com.au might be some use.
good luck.