Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:37 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

Hi, I am looking at other places in WA, as Perth seems to be getting out of our reach (maybe jsut worrying too much), have been looking north to Geraldton etc, has anyone else went here or anywhere else up north or down south from Perth. As a nurse it shouldnt be too hard for me to get ajob hopefully (any info grately recieved), hubby is currently a driver for TNT (class 2 license) can anyone recommend anything for him or places to look.

We just want to explore all the avenues open to us, so if anyone can help with any info we would be very grateful.

Yours
Clairex
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

I know Jaydee was in Geraldton.........dont think she was that impressed. Not sure where she is now as she hasnt posted recently, but she is your best bet for fact finding.
Trouble is with anywhere north of Geraldton is that it is bloody HOT!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:47 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I know Jaydee was in Geraldton.........dont think she was that impressed. Not sure where she is now as she hasnt posted recently, but she is your best bet for fact finding.
Trouble is with anywhere north of Geraldton is that it is bloody HOT!!!!!!!! :scared:
Thanks sandra, I'll see if I can find some of her posts.
Clairex
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Sandra, she is back in the UK. They split up. She posted a while ago.

Claire, tbh Jaydeee found it quite hard up there. She and her hubby were running the backpackers there and his family are there. She just couldn't settle and the backpackers was far harder than they imagined. Also the cost of food was horrendous compared to practically anywhere else in Aus.

She posted quite a lot and not all of them were about Geraldton. Do a search for JayDeee.

Don't think there is anyone else up there. Hevs was there, I think for a holiday once, she might be able to help but is a tad busy at the moment.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:57 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sandra, she is back in the UK. They split up. She posted a while ago.

Claire, tbh Jaydeee found it quite hard up there. She and her hubby were running the backpackers there and his family are there. She just couldn't settle and the backpackers was far harder than they imagined. Also the cost of food was horrendous compared to practically anywhere else in Aus.

She posted quite a lot and not all of them were about Geraldton. Do a search for JayDeee.

Don't think there is anyone else up there. Hevs was there, I think for a holiday once, she might be able to help but is a tad busy at the moment.
Hi, I read some of her posts then saw the last one, where things hadnt worked out for her, which is a real shame. thank for you help.
Clairex
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Oh no..........I didnt know that she had gone back. I met up with her in the moon and sixpence........ooh about a year ago now. She was a scream!!!! Thats real bad news.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Hi, I am looking at other places in WA, as Perth seems to be getting out of our reach (maybe jsut worrying too much), have been looking north to Geraldton etc, has anyone else went here or anywhere else up north or down south from Perth. As a nurse it shouldnt be too hard for me to get ajob hopefully (any info grately recieved), hubby is currently a driver for TNT (class 2 license) can anyone recommend anything for him or places to look.

We just want to explore all the avenues open to us, so if anyone can help with any info we would be very grateful.

Yours
Clairex
We are going to Bunbury WA..(i think about 2 hours from perth)there are a few on here that around that area..
I know there is some sort of lorry driving place there as i know someone that has gone over on a reccie(now)and her husband has an interview with a company whilst there...Don't know if this helps at all..Jackie.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:22 pm
Lovin it!!!!!!!!!

somedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to all

A friend of mine went up to Broome, she spent 1yr up there, she is a midwife, she is back in Perth now but is going to go back up and buy a house cause she says that the cost of property in perth is way too much. tbh though ive thought of going else were but i think we'll give Perth a go and see what happens. i think i would feel too isolated going somewhere out in the sticks, sort of speak!!

Paulaxx
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:33 pm
In my own little world!

Smile Re: Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am trying to keep our options open but I think I'm just getting myself confused now. We have had our hearts set on Perth from the start, but we dont want to move country to struggle financially and have a huge mortgage! is that possible anymore?

Looked at land for sale in Geraldton and it was between $68-80,000 for plots 800m2, bargain me thinks. I don't know now my head is minced completely .
Clairex
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am trying to keep our options open but I think I'm just getting myself confused now. We have had our hearts set on Perth from the start, but we dont want to move country to struggle financially and have a huge mortgage! is that possible anymore?

Looked at land for sale in Geraldton and it was between $68-80,000 for plots 800m2, bargain me thinks. I don't know now my head is minced completely .
Clairex
Australia will be the same as the UK, some place more expensive than others. You may have to start by buying a little bit out of the main towns at first and then working your way up the house ladder just like you do here.

I wouldn't let any of the discussions on here affect your decision at all as people have different expectations from life.

Also you have to take into account that some people do post things just to get a reaction from others.

I am sure that you will be fine.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:47 pm
In my own little world!

Smile Re: Anyone went anywhere other than Perth in WA?

Originally Posted by WendyC
Australia will be the same as the UK, some place more expensive than others. You may have to start by buying a little bit out of the main towns at first and then working your way up the house ladder just like you do here.

I wouldn't let any of the discussions on here affect your decision at all as people have different expectations from life.

Also you have to take into account that some people do post things just to get a reaction from others.

Thanks Wendy, sometimes less info is more, as there are so many different opinions on here, but we also look to here for advice - ignorance is bliss
Clairex
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire,

cranni (Denise) and bridiej (Bridie) both live in Bunbury and love it there.

Bridie doesn't post here anymore byt Denise does. Do a search for "cranni".

Bridie set up her own forum and posts there now together with others. Have a look at: http://www.expatsinwa.tk/

Gina
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:21 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC

Wendy, stop her from reading any of my posts, tell her i'm just a pmt nutter
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Claire,

cranni (Denise) and bridiej (Bridie) both live in Bunbury and love it there.

Bridie doesn't post here anymore byt Denise does. Do a search for "cranni".

Bridie set up her own forum and posts there now together with others. Have a look at: http://www.expatsinwa.tk/

Gina
hi,as far as i can figure out bridie posts on poms in perth sometimes.im sure that she said that she lives in bunbury,either buying or building.good luck.x irishbloo
Old Mar 30th 2006, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Geraldton has been booming for the last year or so and has gone a little silly with growth in the last 6 months. Plots in some nice beach side areas are currently going for $110K to $150K and the better located ones even more.

I went up there a week ago for a look around and felt that it was a really basic town and a little tatty, but on the other hand noticed all the development plans to improve the town front and shopping areas. They have relocated the train track that ran along the beach front and are currently in the process of rebuilding the front into park and picnic and beach etc - will be finished this year. A port expansion is going on now and they are wanting to put a deep channel port in further up the coast as there are a number of mining companies that want to increase output through shipping from Geraldton.

The place currently has an average house price of around $200K compared to other Regional towns like Bunbury at $280K.

It is 4 hours drive from Perth and it is an easy drive

I think that in the next 2 years there is enough reason for the town to boom and you can see it happening in the amount of plots being laid out and the amount of construction underway.

It is the sort of place that if you get in now, you could be sitting on quite a bit of growth over the next 10 years - more so thatn some of the other regional towns which have already had substantial growth.

The place is hot. It has a different pattern of winds than Perth - I understand that the get more in the summer and nice winters.

Some of the suburbs I saw could have been some of the nicer ones in Perth. On the other hand they also have their share of the not so desirable places to live.

You really need to visit as it is a slightly different thing to live in a regional town vs somewhere like Perth.