Reload this Page >

Anyone watching the rugby?

Wikiposts

Anyone watching the rugby?

Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:52 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone watching the rugby?

Anyone watvhing the rugby? T think Im going to cry. Definately want that Australian citizenship so ican support a team that might actually win something.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:54 pm
WBB

Default Re: Anyone watching the rugby?

Originally posted by Julie Martin
Anyone watvhing the rugby? T think Im going to cry. Definately want that Australian citizenship so ican support a team that might actually win something.

i may have to keep my welsh citizenship then.

Old Nov 8th 2003, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

not so much the game.....just the legs !!!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:05 am
Badge

Default legs and England

my fiancee loves them too.

The morning after I met her I went running in the park with our friends. She looked at my legs and went "wow! Just what I am looking for!" Rugby training develops your ham strings and thighs in ways that other sports just don't.

;-)

England - played poorly - but a win is a win. They need to stop playing total rugby, keep the wingers out of the No 10 channel, break through on first phase ball etc

If England do win the RWC, it will be on historically poor bad play!

Badge

Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:55 am
plumber39

England's game at the moment!
Well apart from no structure,no pace,no flair,not clearing out the ruck's,turn over ball,forward's not performing,bad line-out,no game plan,giving away too many penalties

We'll go all the way! NO WORRIE'S!!!

PS The forever hopefull plumber!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:57 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: legs and England

Originally posted by badgersmount
my fiancee loves them too.

The morning after I met her I went running in the park with our friends. She looked at my legs and went "wow! Just what I am looking for!" Rugby training develops your ham strings and thighs in ways that other sports just don't.

;-)

England - played poorly - but a win is a win. They need to stop playing total rugby, keep the wingers out of the No 10 channel, break through on first phase ball etc

If England do win the RWC, it will be on historically poor bad play!

Badge
England need to develop more creative play if they want to win against the big boys.

They had lots of posession, but they just kept trying to drive it through the welsh pack, instead of trying to pass out wide and go around them. The only play which i though was worth of a semi-final world cup team, was Robinsons wonderful run across field.

England still has a chance, but really do need to up thier play if they want to beat the french (who are looking VERY dangerous, against any team).

Out of interest.....who do we reckon will come through to the final from the other semi? My moneys on NZ.....but i think it will be a close one.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:58 am
Badge

Default Objective analysis (from the Lounge)

Objective analysis

Englands's experiment of total rugby has been shown to creak this tournament - especially sticking too many forwards or wingers in the no 10 channel.

And no - its not 'all points from Wilkinson' in the way the media say - he kicks goals that any other kicker would kick, too. It's because Wales conceded loads of penalties which means they are playing under pressure, getting emotional or carried away, and making mistakes or are desperate. Penalties are seen as 'just another kick' - well why is the penalty awarded in the first place - because a team is not playing the game properly. Ok - kick for the corner - *maybe* score a try - but it's not guranteed. If the result is a try, then you lose by even more.

There was a passage of play after Greenwood's try when the try count could have gone back in England's favour but Thompson himself (idiot!) stuffed up in a passage of play where Wales were illegal, back chatted and the decision went against England - which allowed Wales back in with that try.

The best team in Rugby invariably wins; not like in Soccer where goal scoring can be luck.

One of the criticisms was England's high penalty count in recent games which they tightened up on today; back to basics and all that - which the arrival of Catt showed.

Wales scored a cracking try - which could have gone wrong: England playing total rugby again - Tindall kicking to a wing finding a forward on hs own who got turned; Wales were lucky, AND skilled to keep it together. Their second came on the back of this. Their third was another stuff up as I said above.

At the end of the day England had 66pc of possession which you score tries from, OR, allow the other team to make mistakes to get turnover ball, so get penalties instead. You can't score tries without the ball, if you try to get balls illegally and get penalised - by going offside - well you deserve to lose. So that's why England won.

The Wales were cautioned several times. If Thompson hadn't been an idiot, a Wales player could have been sent off eventually.

If England had been 2 tries up at half time, then they may have used the penalties to kick to the corners and score tries instead. but as they were behind, they were sensible. England are capable of scoring tries. That accusation is now old. Teams that run England close just get the screws tightened until they make mistakes.

Unfortunately for England all their RWC games to date have been *them* making mistakes (conceding penalties) as well.

At the end, it was a unique "emotional" match that could have gone either way.

The French have a better in-form midfield (in the RWC) so I was looking to see how their tries were scored.

I looked at the French game and noticed that their tries were tries that England would have got - not midfield penetration which would worry England. Maybe Hill will be back next week!

England are a mess but I feel they can still win in Aussie 1999 style. By winning games in the last 15, they are fostering self-belief.

Badge

"A team that has to rely on penalties to win doesn't have it all together- the amount of their possession should have shown in tries- not good form at all."

No a team that wins on penalties AND with most of the possession is playing what they know will be a TIGHT game. Respect for all! In knowing this, they showed respect for Wales like they always do. There's never any arrogance - that would show in throwing the ball around. It's also why England are ALWAYS such slow starters - the slowest in world rugby for such a top rated team. Bizarre really. If they didn't start so slowly, then they would have gone for tries and the result may have been worse for Wales: like in the 6N 2000, 2001.

England need to get rid of this slow start. Kill the total rugby. They have already improved their penalty count.

Badge

Old Nov 9th 2003, 1:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

England are not playing particularly well at the moment, but they are still winning games, which is worrying if you don't support them. This is a sign of a good team. Reminds me of the All Blacks, they always seem to win even when they are playing crap, which is not the situation at the moment.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Objective analysis (from the Lounge)

Good post badge

I haven't seen anything of the French in this World Cup.

I think you're spot on about the penalties England 'force' the opposition to make, and the French seem to suffer just as much as any other team against England in this regard.

Hopefully this will be the case again and with the high stakes involved (ie a place in the World Cup final) hopefully we'll keep our cool more than the French.

Then bring on the All Blacks!!!

PS He can't leave Mike Catt out now can he?
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Objective analysis (from the Lounge)

PPS Is Matt Dawson's tournament over? - I've just seen that Austin Healey is flying out
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

"England - played poorly - but a win is a win. They need to stop playing total rugby, keep the wingers out of the No 10 channel, break through on first phase ball etc"

Wales wouldn't let them play robinson broke through- fabulous try, and preserve Wilkinson's boot. The media called it spot on - I saw the match live on pay-per-view.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone watching the rugby?

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i may have to keep my welsh citizenship then.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:24 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Boring technical stuf...!! Please can we talk about the legs... please??
Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:50 am
Badge

might drag out a piccy of my legs if u are interested

badge

Old Nov 9th 2003, 2:54 am
WBB

Originally posted by badgersmount
might drag out a piccy of my legs if u are interested

badge
jesus christ no, im just about to have my dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.