Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to join a book/film club?

Anyone want to join a book/film club?

Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:45 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Anyone want to join a book/film club?

Hi All
I was just saying to a friend today how I would love to join/start a book club. I live in Glenwood and I thought it would be good to meet up once a month and discuss the book/film of choice. People could meet at a house of choice or place (pub/cafe etc).
I started going over how this would work and cost of books and such so getting books from the library would be a cheap way of doing it. As this idea started to develope in my mind I thought it doesn't have to be just a few local people getting together but also others forming there own groups in there own area and discussing the book in the barbie section of the forum thus bringing people together with a common interest that are separated by distance .
We could choose the book take a month to get said book and read it then have your own local meet but also all get together in the barbie to discuss it and choose the next book/film.
I have put Book/film as I thought oringinally just a book club but then thought it might be good to throw in the odd film now and again.

The good thing about a book club is that it can be for anyone any age (adults). Different people have different taste so it could be a different genre every month.

I would love some feed back on this and if anyone is interested lets get it going asap.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

ShazC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone want to join a book/film club?

Hi Lisa, Thats a great idea count me in,....yes I do agree going to a library is a good idea as books can become very expensive. And I think book/film is a great idea too (as I haven't been to the movies since 2006) so looking forward to coming along. Shazhttp://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi, I'm a bit too far away, in Perth - but just wanted to add...at my local library in Clarkson they have facilities for Book Clubs. Register your details with them, and they'll provide enough copies of various books for you. Not sure of the full details - i read the leaflet thinking it was advertising book clubs, as I'd def be interested - but it was about setting one up and how they help...

Good luck, I'm sure it will be a success,

Karen
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

holmes will become famous soon enough

Hi Lisa,

Love the idea, and can definitely do it 'virtually' via the Barbie. I'd love to also do it 'really' and am happy to host when it's my turn.... BUT, I need an honest opinion from others re the presence of my toddler.... (you met him at the last FTC). If everyone thinks it will be too distracting, no problem, I will participate via The Barbie and hopefully in future (November) his twice-a-week daycare will co-incide with the meets.

- holmes
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi Karen thanks for your input I will ask at the library about your suggestion. Holms Lisa and I were looking at doing it during the evening but we will keep you posted.
Shaz x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:40 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
Hi, I'm a bit too far away, in Perth - but just wanted to add...at my local library in Clarkson they have facilities for Book Clubs. Register your details with them, and they'll provide enough copies of various books for you. Not sure of the full details - i read the leaflet thinking it was advertising book clubs, as I'd def be interested - but it was about setting one up and how they help...

Good luck, I'm sure it will be a success,

Karen
Thanks for the info Karen thats a good idea and i will look into it.
The idea I had was not just for la local group to take part but anyone on expats, you could join in too from where you are and if we can get it set up the books can then be disscused in the barbie as well as at a meeting. If its something you are interested in set up a group where you are too.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:42 am
Lisa

Originally Posted by holmes
Hi Lisa,

Love the idea, and can definitely do it 'virtually' via the Barbie. I'd love to also do it 'really' and am happy to host when it's my turn.... BUT, I need an honest opinion from others re the presence of my toddler.... (you met him at the last FTC). If everyone thinks it will be too distracting, no problem, I will participate via The Barbie and hopefully in future (November) his twice-a-week daycare will co-incide with the meets.

- holmes
Yep I defo had in mind it being an evening thing as opposed to a daytime thing, would that be better for you as I would like as many people to join in as poss.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:16 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa

I'm already in a book club round my way - great way to make friends with people from other nationalities too! We take it in turns to meet at each others houses about every 6 weeks and whoever hosts the "meeting" gets to choose the next book title. I usually get through the book club choice within a week or two so would like to think that I would have time to read whatever you lot read too! Sounds a great idea. I'd definitely do it "virtually".

B x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:33 am
Lisa

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Lisa

I'm already in a book club round my way - great way to make friends with people from other nationalities too! We take it in turns to meet at each others houses about every 6 weeks and whoever hosts the "meeting" gets to choose the next book title. I usually get through the book club choice within a week or two so would like to think that I would have time to read whatever you lot read too! Sounds a great idea. I'd definitely do it "virtually".

B x
Thanks for showing an interest binbird I think doing this virtually as well as with small group meetings will hopefully give more people a chance to join in, well I hope so anyway.
I think I am going to do some browsing now to see if I can come up with a good first book to get us started, wish me luck but I may need soem help

Last edited by LisaD_uk; Mar 11th 2008 at 10:35 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi there,

Well, if 'virtual' is on offer, I'm def in.

Look forward to hearing the first choice!

I'll make some enquiries on the Poms in Perth website, see if there's one local to me too, thanks for the idea though, sounds good!

Karen
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

holmes will become famous soon enough

Aha! Yes, of course, evenings! Count me in then!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hi
I would be interested in joining also.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:14 am
Lisa

cool looks like we are getting some interest yey!
Right, so for a first book how does a thriller/mystery sound?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Sounds good have you something in mind yet??
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:34 am
Lisa

Originally Posted by ShazC
Sounds good have you something in mind yet??

I'm looking, I do have something in mind but just want to have a bit more of a look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.