Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Skype to phone Australia

Anyone using Skype to phone Australia

Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:48 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone using Skype to phone Australia

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I've used Skype on 2 occasions. Only 'my' experience but it wasn't very good, and there was tons of echo both ways. EVERYONE was using Broadband, but aadmittedlyI was using 'mic & speakers' and I've been told this might be the problem ?!?

Crazy bit was we could get the odd call from UK - Israel clear, yet EVERY time it was from UK - UK we got the echo ...
This was most likely to do with who was using it from the UK, if they were using speakers then you will get more echo (the sound comes out of the speakers and back down the microphone...only to emerge from another set of speakers and back down another microphone.. this causes the echo and in some cases feedback (squealing/howling noise). If you use headphones the microphone doesnt hear the sound so all is well.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We've been using it to call the UK since we set up our broadband. Its always worked fine and we haven't spent very much of the £5 I put on it. The only problem has been a delay when calling a mobile but the same has happened using the landline so I assume its not Skype.

We've also set up a SkypeIn number so people in the UK can call us on it and not pay international charges (i.e. grandparents) but they have only just received the letters with the number so no one has called us yet.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi all.

I ring Spain and Australia a couple of times a month and it puts around £40.00 a quarter on the bill (its the Spain mobile pushing it up!!).
Just downloaded Skype and am waiting for headset. Skype to Skype is free and Skype out is 1p a minut to Australia and 22p a minute to most mobiles in other countries.
Is any one using Skype and are there any downsides such as making your computer sluggish e.t.c when making a call ? - cheers James.
We used Skye on Broadband in Australia to call my sons in the UK they also use it to call us, no problems with it and of course it's free.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:50 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm over in Melbourne at the moment, and the appartment I am staying in has broadband, so I have been calling the family a couple of times a day in Holand, and also the rest of the family in the UK. I have used Skype to call pc's, land line phones & mobiles.

The pc line can sometimes deteriorate, but as previously said, just hang up and call again. My experience calling normal phones is excellent and cheap. Calling to a mobile is also very good, but not as cheap.

Call quality very good to either pc, land phone or mobile.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Thanks for all your info.
I have ordered a bluetooth headset so I can go anywhere in the house and will not be tied to the computer as that could be a problem - will see how well it works - cheers James.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

I ring Spain and Australia a couple of times a month and it puts around £40.00 a quarter on the bill (its the Spain mobile pushing it up!!).
Just downloaded Skype and am waiting for headset. Skype to Skype is free and Skype out is 1p a minut to Australia and 22p a minute to most mobiles in other countries.
Is any one using Skype and are there any downsides such as making your computer sluggish e.t.c when making a call ? - cheers James.
I use it all the time for ringing from Australia to UK and US. The quality is generally good (though I've had to work out some issues with my firewall) and you can't argue with the cost

I also use SkypeOut which is cheaper than any phone service I've found (though our service with AAPT is 18c a minute, capped at $1.98 for 30 minutes)
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

OBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really niceOBI WAN is just really nice
Cool Re: Anyone using Skype to phone Australia

Ok I have'nt got SKYPE as yet I understand you can download it but do you have to open an account with them and pay a fee ?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

jmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nicejmistry is just really nice

Hi

i don't use skype but use Voipcheap with a usb phone which gives free calls to oz and few other places.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OBI WAN
Ok I have'nt got SKYPE as yet I understand you can download it but do you have to open an account with them and pay a fee ?

No it's free
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OBI WAN
Its free for skype to skype.
If you want to dial out you use a pay as you go type system putting £10.00 or so into your account and using it until the credits gone.
You can subsribe and get a skype number although this is probably not worth it for most people.
Go to skype.com for info - cheers James.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:57 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

Hi I used Skype for a while, but found that my connection was never reliable.. it would go quiet or crackly fairly regularly.. Another problem is that no-one can call if your computer is off...
If you are calling abroad from the UK then look into www.chapercallrate.com as this is what we set up.
Basically you go to their website, enter a foreign number with all relevant dialling codes, and they instantly substitute that number for a uk based lo-call number. You can then give that out to your uk based family and friends and they only get charged (in the case of Australia) 2p per minute. The cost of the call just ends up on your BT bill as usual.
Sounds too good to be true? Maybe, but it does work as my family have been using it to ring me for the last 6 months!
The same process can be used to call anywhere in the world...

Steve
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:17 am
Now A UK Ozzie

GaryY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jas_uk
Just to clarify, the peer to peer backend is only for location of users; once you make a call you are directly connected (well, via the internet routers obviously) to the person you are calling, so your call isnt piggy backed at all. Its based on Gnutella; written by the same people in fact.

Also, yes it will work on a 56k but the latency is higher, this is as the equipment providing you the 56k connection is quite a bit further away in network hop terms from the large carriers than most broadband connections. So calling someone on broadband when you are on 56k and vice versa can have (more of) a delay between you speaking and them hearing.

Pardon !
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

We use Skype and it is fantastic and really clear. We bought about 5 phones for rellies before we left and set them all up so now we call for free. We got some cheap telephone-like handsets for about 20 pounds and they works really well.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:22 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i tried them all when i first arrived. we didn't have much luck with skype as it kept dropping the connection ever few mins. this got very painful! the quality wasn't that great either. i know poeple who use it all the time but it's not something that's impressed me that much.

my folks use these guys to call me over the landline... http://www.telestunt.co.uk/ they're dirt cheap - the quality isn't crystal but it's 90% there.

as i haven't found anything similar to call them with, it means they call me all the time. (added bonus)... i must remember to have a look one day.