Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone using iChat Video on Mac OS X?

Anyone using iChat Video on Mac OS X?

Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Little Stinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone using iChat Video on Mac OS X?

Does anyone use the above software to communicate with relatives back in the UK?

I have a skype account and have tried this with a relative in Melbourne but the quality was pretty poor.

Any one got any advice/experience?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone using iChat Video on Mac OS X?

Originally Posted by Little Stinker
Does anyone use the above software to communicate with relatives back in the UK?

I have a skype account and have tried this with a relative in Melbourne but the quality was pretty poor.

Thanks!
Hi,

We use iChat video to talk to people in the UK who also have macs. It works well enough although you do need a fast-ish upload speed to get a good frame refresh (They say 100kps, but we found it is jumpy at anything under 128). Our friends in the UK have built-in camera, we have used and i-sight and our dv cam through firewire.

You need a .mac name to login but you can get one free from the apple site

Hope this helps

Mark
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!
We use Skype so we can talk to other windows users. I haven't had any quality problems with it. Occasionally I need to reconnect. Are you sure its the ichat causing the problems? Once we go over a certain amount of usage per month out broadband slows down. Sometimes I've noticed a bit of a different but not huge. We have no delay or little delay. When I was using my crapped out pc in England to my mum we had a few problems.

Hope this helps.

J

p.s .mac have just improved the service. worth a look if you interested in somewhere to back up your stuff and publish to a web page using iweb.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:11 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have a mac and it works a dream with other mac owners. Problems occur when trying to webcam with pc users. You can use your iSight with an AOL account (both parties need to have an AOL account), or the easiest way I've found is for both parties to use/download an application called SightSpeed. Quality good, and easy to use. You can even record webcam and leave for others to pick up when they log back in.

I plan on using Skype for calls, but if possible Sightspeed for webcam chats.

Hope this helps

KAREN
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:37 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I use Ichat a lot and its quality is awesome.

With the new release of Mac Leopard about to happen the quality will become even more awesome with the new compression codex and a whole host of features which basically will make it the best out there.

Check out the video preview - its really cool.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

beckyandmarv will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
We use Linux and have had problems with Skype not sure why............