Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Commonwealth Bank Migrant Service?

Anyone using Commonwealth Bank Migrant Service?

Old Mar 8th 2004, 4:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone using Commonwealth Bank Migrant Service?

I have been to the CBA website and checked out the migrant service. I understand that you can set up the account in London ready for activation when you arrive in Oz.

Being in receipt of a pension every month, I am llooking for the most economic way of getting it Down Under. One way is to use HIFX or similar, by transferring it each month from my UK bank account - but that requires a monthly internet input.

Can anyone tell me, if I use CBA and have the pension paid to them each month for transfer to Oz, what sort of charges they would make and whether their exchange rates are likely to be dreadful?
Old Mar 8th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered HSBC, would have thought if you had HSBC in UK and an OZ account it would be a simple process.

Commonwealth bank are pants. We used them to transfer money in first place and binned them off within a week of getting here, far too much grief and stress.

Walked into HSBC passport in hand set up an account within 15 mins and they have been faultless ever since and no bank charges.

The downside is not many branches but internet service is excellent so more than compensates for it.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commonwealth bank

I do know that unless you transfer more than £30,000 they will charge a fee of £15.00.

Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I have read before that they are not shall we say the best, but thought it might be an easy way to get regular pension payments out there. It does appear that there is no easy way, really!

Anyone know if HSBC make "inbound" charges?

HIFX told me a couple of months ago that they are just starting such a service: they promised to email the details to me but......................