Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone used SEEK to find a job outside OZ?

Anyone used SEEK to find a job outside OZ?

Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:55 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Anyone used SEEK to find a job outside OZ?

Just wondering. I posted for aa few jobs to SEEK. I got no response except the usual automatic response. I suppose it will be better when I'm in Oz.I can then pick up the phone and call instead of emails. But just wondering if anyone had managed to secure a job when they were out of Oz or at least got a response?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone used SEEK to find a job outside OZ?

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Just wondering. I posted for aa few jobs to SEEK. I got no response except the usual automatic response. I suppose it will be better when I'm in Oz.I can then pick up the phone and call instead of emails. But just wondering if anyone had managed to secure a job when they were out of Oz or at least got a response?

What do you do??

We tried every job site going before we came, never heard a peep off of any of them. As soon as we got here and started ringing round the offers came flooding in, only my OH needs a licence, so they have all said come back when you have it
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:06 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

we used Seek and never had any response or as far as we could tell no one even looked at my husbands cv despite there being heaps of jobs in his field. He did manage to get a job easily when we arrived - though not through them.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:22 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

The answers are what i expected. Glad its not just me then. BTW I'm a spark and can get a job without a licence in NSW but will be getting licenced asap. But i would be nice if they could at least reply. Not good in my opinion. But ten again if we were in Oz i would expect better treatment or a response. Email, is great. But nothing better than picking up the phone and speaking to someone.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The answers are what i expected. Glad its not just me then. BTW I'm a spark and can get a job without a licence in NSW but will be getting licenced asap. But i would be nice if they could at least reply. Not good in my opinion. But ten again if we were in Oz i would expect better treatment or a response. Email, is great. But nothing better than picking up the phone and speaking to someone.

It won't happen mate, trust me I know

They will ring you if they want you, but if they don't then they won't contact you at all
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:37 pm
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Wendy
It won't happen mate, trust me I know

They will ring you if they want you, but if they don't then they won't contact you at all

Just another agancy. I have used agancies in the Uk many times. You just got to keep on their case sometimes for jobs. You could have CV with them but they wont call. If you happen to call and a job has just come in. You are laughing. When do you want to start?They say! I know how they work.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:38 pm
Freedom!

Also better to bypass agencies in my opinion. Cut out the middleman. More money for employee and less for employer to pay out. Usually!.IMHO

Last edited by Jockstar; Sep 26th 2006 at 12:42 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also better to bypass agencies in my opinion. Cut out the middleman. More money for employee and less for employer.IMHO

Yep, I agree.

But we applied to companies
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people already IN Aus don't get replies to most adverts on Seek. Occasionally one will get back to you, but not often.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:44 pm
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot of people already IN Aus don't get replies to most adverts on Seek. Occasionally one will get back to you, but not often.

So whats the point of having an oline application form? Bloody stupid if you ask me. I'll be calling from now on and not emailing.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've had more replies from companies advertising on www.careerone.com.au Give em a go, you never know
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:46 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Just another agancy. I have used agancies in the Uk many times. You just got to keep on their case sometimes for jobs. You could have CV with them but they wont call. If you happen to call and a job has just come in. You are laughing. When do you want to start?They say! I know how they work.
Putting jobs on Seek / advertising in the paper is like using a big tuna fishing net to catch a sardine (oh dear, I started typing that then realised I really don't know much about fishing - but I do know a little about recruitment as that's what OH does). CVs flood in from serial applicants - they'll apply for everything - and in amongst them will be a few possible candidates. Whose CV have to stand out to be noticed in the couple of seconds they get before the consultant moves on to the next one. You have even less chance if you're not in the country and they can't interview you straight away for a job that they're expected to put forward candidates to the client within a few days of advertising.

In your current situation, I'd recommend applying directly to companies and getting on to their files. When you arrive in Australia, contact agencies and you're right, you need to be on their case. If you call them, they're more likely to rate you as a credible candidate and will remember you better than someone who just sends their CV in. Call them every week and bother them! If you can get hold of them of course - whenever I call OH he's on the phone trying to drum up new business

Good luck with it
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I got some work from Seek. Wasn't for the job I applied for, but the bloke liked my CV and bunged some work my way. Have only applied for the one job so couldn't say how good a site it is - my previous experience of recruitment sites like Monster in the UK would suggest that most of them are shit.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:29 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

GO DIRECT...if you want to know why...PM me
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Putting jobs on Seek / advertising in the paper is like using a big tuna fishing net to catch a sardine (oh dear, I started typing that then realised I really don't know much about fishing - but I do know a little about recruitment as that's what OH does). CVs flood in from serial applicants - they'll apply for everything - and in amongst them will be a few possible candidates. Whose CV have to stand out to be noticed in the couple of seconds they get before the consultant moves on to the next one. You have even less chance if you're not in the country and they can't interview you straight away for a job that they're expected to put forward candidates to the client within a few days of advertising.
Thats the way I view and use Seek - I just apply for everything I can possibly do, and rely on mabe one somewhere getting spotted. Been offered a couple through them, but they were too short term. Everyone I know does the same, its very hit and miss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.