Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone used freight forwarding to Perth?

Anyone used freight forwarding to Perth?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice
Default Anyone used freight forwarding to Perth?

I dont have a date to move yet but I am trying to get as organised as possible.

I got a quote from Doree Bonner door-to-door for 280 cuft £1695. I thought it was quite expensive but it is the first quote I have had so for so might not be.

I heard of somebody going to Perth and shipping stuff with a freight forwarding company.

My questions are - What does it involve? UK and OZ end
Is it cheaper?
Is it quite easy to organise?

Can anyone help?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone used freight forwarding to Perth?

Originally Posted by fisher lass
I heard of somebody going to Perth and shipping stuff with a freight forwarding company.

My questions are - What does it involve? UK and OZ end
Is it cheaper?
Is it quite easy to organise?
There are two ways of using freight forwarding. Type A does everything for you. It's basically the same service you'd get from a removal company and therefore it will cost the same.

Type B justs assists you with the customs clearance (you always need a registered agent for that). You self-pack and organise your own move.

If you to a search on here for self-shipping, self-packing etc, you will find that many people have considered this option over the years, but only one went ahead and did it. The reason: it is an enormous hassle and you save only a very small amount of money. You need to book your own container, arrange delivery to and from your house, you get two hours to self-pack your container, it's difficult to self-pack a container, it's difficult to get insurance for self-packed containers, there is a mountain of paperwork to go with it, need to book shipping of container, Oz customs don't "like" self-packed containers (they worry what's in them) etc etc

As I said, you can get the freight forwarder to do all of the above for you - but then it'll cost the same as using a removal company.

(The one person who did go with option B lived in a location where it was very expensive to get a removal firm to come to her.)