Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone on the Upper North Shore-Sydney

anyone on the Upper North Shore-Sydney

Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

sueanddave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone on the Upper North Shore-Sydney

Hi my name is Sue and arrived here 6 months ago from the UK with my husband and 3 children. We've settled in well and are now living in St Ives. Just wondering if anyone out there would like to meet up for coffee/play dates as now starting to miss this. I've 3 girls aged are 8,4 and 3 so am in need of adult conversation.
Thanks
Sue
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone on the Upper North Shore-Sydney

Welcome to St Ives- I live here too, but my daughter is 14, so playdates are not really an option. Would gladly meet up for a coffee/chat. I work Thursdays and Fridays though.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Hi Caroline

that would be great,I can meet Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday Afternoons. Let me know when and we can arrange a meet up.

Thanks
Sue
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Welcome to you all.Look out for shortley to be posted FTC thread which will be for ladies meeting next Tues in this area.Be brave & come along.
Also check out Newcomers which is a local based group of ex-pat families.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It was nice to see you and your two lovely girls on tuesday.
Hope we haven't scared you off!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Caroline
No not at all, we will try and meet up soon
Sue
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Am111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We are looking to come over in January 2011 and have 3 children aged 9,9 and 4. My husband has been offered a job in Gosford and we can't decide where is best to live- Upper North Shore of Sydney or along the Central Coast.
If upper North shore, then needs to be around the train stations no further south than epping and as far as Hornsby(anywhere within 5k of the stations so his commute is no more than 1 hour). I would be working in Ryde if we live in Sydney or Erina if we live on the CC.
We would like to be near the beach but I know this is not an option in Sydney but as long as there are parks and other things to do, we could enjoy the beach at the weekends.
The public schools seem a bit better in Sydney, so we would also have to go for a private school on the Coast and out initial plan was to just come out for 12-18 months and see how things progressed(on TR visa).
It seems most commute from CC to Sydney but not the other way around!
We just really want the children to settle in and enjoy our stay.

Which areas are nice?

Any advice or ideas?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like St Ives!
It isn't on the train line, but there are buses to Gordon- only a 10-15 min drive from here(I live on the outskirts). It has a good shopping centre, good schools,a library, a skateboard park and playgrounds, several garden centres, but no pubs, and is 20 mins from the nearest beach, 5 mins from national parks, and 15 mins from big centres for shopping. Trains from Gordon take 35 mins to the CBD.

It takes me 20 mins to get from my house to Ryde, but that is early in the morning or outside rush hour, allow at least double that for peak times and triple on Fridays: in Ryde there is a huge shopping centre with a cinema and a skating rink. I am not sure I would want to live in Ryde however, as it is very busy and increasingly built up.

Turramurra is good too, in fact most places from Killara outwards along the train line are good, but pricier the closer you get.
Rentals are quite expensive, be well prepared with references to show that you are of good character and solvent.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Oct 10th 2010 at 8:54 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Dimples01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sueanddave
Hi my name is Sue and arrived here 6 months ago from the UK with my husband and 3 children. We've settled in well and are now living in St Ives. Just wondering if anyone out there would like to meet up for coffee/play dates as now starting to miss this. I've 3 girls aged are 8,4 and 3 so am in need of adult conversation.
Thanks
Sue
Hi Sue
Are you still looking to meet up? I have recently moved to Sydney with my husband and 9 year old daughter and will be moving to St Ives in two weeks. Would love to arrange some play dates and or meet for coffee.
Clare
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:08 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We arrive in St Ives soon too. Seems to be quite the place for expats this year lol.

We move into our house on the 15th so I expect we'll be up to our knees in boxes til the new year, but I'd love to get together with a few friendly faces in January.

We've got 2 girls - aged 7 and 8.

Gill
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If anyone wants a St Ives coffee and chat, pm me and I'll try to arrange something for those of you about to settle here. Welcome!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Hi Caroline, haven't seen you for ages - I've been chasing around as usual. I'm up for a coffee over the hols if you're organising one! Gill - I have a 7 year old daughter (as well as a couple of older boys) who is always up for making new friends. We're just down the road in Turramurra (we started off in St. Ives too) so can point you in the right direction for the essentials like swimming lessons, ballet classes etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:57 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. We can't wait to get settled now and get to know the place. I think we'll get ourselves sorted over Xmas and I'll be in touch for a coffee and a chat in the new year
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Am111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
Thanks guys. We can't wait to get settled now and get to know the place. I think we'll get ourselves sorted over Xmas and I'll be in touch for a coffee and a chat in the new year
Hi Gill,

When are you arriving there? Have you sorted out schools etc. We are still planning to get there for mid January. I have 3 children- twin girls aged 9 and a boy aged 4 and a half. How easy has it been to sort out your accommodation? We have to try and get something done from the UK as one school informed us that we have to have a 6 month lease agreement before they can accept the children into school.
Anyway, when we arrive, I will get back onto this site and it would be good to meet up.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Hi Am111. You won't be able to get a long term lease from outside the country - I presume you have short term accommodation sorted so you just need to get onto it as soon as you arrive. Unfortunately Sydney pretty much shuts down over the Christmas period, including estate agents, but by mid January things just about get going again. Rental prices in St. Ives actually seem to have come down recently which is surprising, but good for you!

As I'm sure you know the schools will be on Summer holiday when you arrive so you won't be able to look around until they re-open on 1st February. If you are looking for public schools your local catchment school HAS to take you if you are in their area. Others may take you if they have space, but don't have to. If you are thinking of St. Ives the two most popular primaries, St. Ives Primary and St. Ives North are bulging at the seams with expats at the moment hence their insistance on enforcing the 6 months lease rule. If your daughters are going into Y5 you should be ok though as a lot of kids in the area leave the public schools to go private from Y5 so they are in situ for high school, opening up spaces. If you are looking at privates unfortunately both Kindy (which I assume your son will be going into if you are sending him next year) and Y5 are "normal points of entry" so you might find it hard to get spaces in the more popular schools. Good luck with the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.