Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in the tweed heads area?

anyone in the tweed heads area?

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all
Default anyone in the tweed heads area?

hi,just moved to banora point in tweed heads 5 weeks ago from wales.myself,hubby and three boys 15,12 and 8.feeling a little homesick and wondered if any one else felt the same so early on,im not giving up as we spent a long time dreaming of this life and im going to mke it work for my childrens sake,thanks x
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:45 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone in the tweed heads area?

Originally Posted by mrs i
hi,just moved to banora point in tweed heads 5 weeks ago from wales.myself,hubby and three boys 15,12 and 8.feeling a little homesick and wondered if any one else felt the same so early on,im not giving up as we spent a long time dreaming of this life and im going to mke it work for my childrens sake,thanks x
Hiya H....

Are you anywhere near Debbie???

Im sure someone on here is close by for a panad and chat?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:52 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mrs i!

I'll be there soon! I will P.M you tommorrow(getting late here)...saw your reply on my 'Currumbin' thread. Hold on in there, homesickness is the worst kind of sad I ever experienced but you will get over it or at the very worse just learn to accept you have it. It helps if you remember that all your pining for has not disappeared, lost forever...it's all still there and nothing has to be forever.

Jan

Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Hang in there Mrs I!

I had terrible homesickness, on and off, came from nowhere, for a while. Have now been here 5 and a half months and have not really been troubled by it this last month.

About 2-3 days (yes days) in I would have paid to go home but now the opposite is true. So keep going and allow yourself time to settle. It's a big undertaking and I think all the stress prior to emigrating catches up with you in the end. Ride the storm and you'll come out the other end.

Good luck and take care,

Jo x
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:17 am
Just Joined

xeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope she settles might give me some peace then lol, i have told her if shes going im staying hi hi hi. Ah well im her son by the way
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xeon
I hope she settles might give me some peace then lol, i have told her if shes going im staying hi hi hi. Ah well im her son by the way
Pleased you're giving her lots of love and understanding
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

sent u a pm
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Hadrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mrs i

I have been here for 6 months now and live south of Tweed Heads near Hastings Point and believe that the best way to combat feeling home sick is to get out and experience the new life style.

Some suggestions if you have not already done so:-

Go whale and dolphin watching from Hastings Point headland.
Spend a few hours at Byron Bay walking the beach.
Spend a morning or afternoon at Whatego's beach (accessed via Byron Bay), great for the children and one of the few safe beaches for swimming although you still have to be very careful with rips as with all beaches in NSW. Please note that at the weekends it gets very busy and is difficult to find parking.
Go to the Art Cafe at Murwillumbah and have a coffee and cake (fantastic view of Mt Warning but perhaps not so exciting for the children)
Have breakfast at Bangalow.
Good beaches at Brunswick Heads and a good play area opposite the cafes etc.
Buy some rubber rings and and when the tide is turning and starting to go out float down Mooball Creek at Pottsville (but be very careful and don't float out to sea), and yes it is called Mooball Creek.

These are just a few activities that don't cost much and are totally different from any experience in the UK.

Hope this helps and hang in there, it does get easier.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:55 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Hi there....We live in Kingscliff , which is about 5/10 mins away , been here 2yrs next month.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 12:02 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Hi there....We live in Kingscliff , which is about 5/10 mins away , been here 2yrs next month.
We have 3 kids 20,17,and 14yrs , the last 2 go to Kingscliff high school.
If you ever want to pop round for a cuppa , your more than welcome, just pm me.

all the best plum&Co

ps Nice to know its not just us , living on the border.....
Old Jul 12th 2006, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all
Cool Re: anyone in the tweed heads area?

Originally Posted by the plumber
We have 3 kids 20,17,and 14yrs , the last 2 go to Kingscliff high school.
If you ever want to pop round for a cuppa , your more than welcome, just pm me.

all the best plum&Co

ps Nice to know its not just us , living on the border.....
hi,thanks for your reply,weve been to kingsk many times,its lovely there,was there yesterday in the doctors,has your 14 year old fitted in ok over the last two years or is he bored,my children are playstation and msn addicts and never spent time outdoors prior to living here thats one of the reasons we migrated to get them out a bit!! but they dont seem to know what to do with themselves once theyve been in beach for half an hour they say what can we do now,which drives me mad!!!they want to learn to surf but how do you go about this?the school they are going to attend in tweed heads doesnt teach surfing(typical)wel ive moidered(sorry welsh word)ive got on your nerves enough for one day!!take care,
p.s. hubby a bricklayer and looking for work any ideas?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,thanks for your reply,weve been to kingsk many times,its lovely there,was there yesterday in the doctors,has your 14 year old fitted in ok over the last two years or is he bored,my children are playstation and msn addicts and never spent time outdoors prior to living here thats one of the reasons we migrated to get them out a bit!! but they dont seem to know what to do with themselves once theyve been in beach for half an hour they say what can we do now,which drives me mad!!!they want to learn to surf but how do you go about this?the school they are going to attend in tweed heads doesnt teach surfing(typical)wel ive moidered(sorry welsh word)ive got on your nerves enough for one day!!take care,
p.s. hubby a bricklayer and looking for work any ideas?
Try these people. Looks quite good and very local:
http://www.walkinonwater.com/pages.a...st_Surf_School

The children asking what they are doing next whilst still doing something else is a kid thing - not just yours Once they have made friends at school and learn about new stuff, they will be wanting you to be a taxi constantly.
We arrived in late November and because the schools were closing two weeks later, decided it wasn't worth starting until Jan. This meant that they were off from 17th November to 23rd Jan :scared: They didn't do a lot, unless we were all out, but now they have after school activities and life is far more normal so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:26 am
Just Joined

PeachesG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Try these people. Looks quite good and very local:
http://www.walkinonwater.com/pages.a...st_Surf_School

The children asking what they are doing next whilst still doing something else is a kid thing - not just yours Once they have made friends at school and learn about new stuff, they will be wanting you to be a taxi constantly.
We arrived in late November and because the schools were closing two weeks later, decided it wasn't worth starting until Jan. This meant that they were off from 17th November to 23rd Jan :scared: They didn't do a lot, unless we were all out, but now they have after school activities and life is far more normal so I wouldn't worry too much.
Hi I am new to Expats. Moved to the Gold Coast on 7th November 2005. I thought we were the only ones with children out of school for what seemed like an eternity!! We survived it though, just! In the end the children were asking to go to school and we haven't looked back since.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:46 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your mam to move over to Perth