Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Travelling First??

Anyone Travelling First??

Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:47 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice
Question Anyone Travelling First??

We should have our visas very soon, then sell the business and then we were going to settle in Perth and get a job.

All well and good, you say! But now we have decided that life is too short, the kids are young enough and the dog, once out of quarantine, will love it - we are going to buy a motorhome a travel a bit and see where the will takes us!! Perhaps maybe for 6 months!!

Has anyone else done this or going to do it?? Let me know

Jayne
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

storerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of lightstorerg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Travelling First??

My plan is to travel down the east coast for 3 - 4 months then go sailing for 6 months, if only I can sell my bloody house.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:27 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We did it but only for about 6 weeks, then HUP got offered a job

We travelled to Perth, up a bit, down a bit, then over to S/A then down through Vic, up to Sydney then back to Vic where we settled.

We did it with a car and big four cabins as we didn't want to have to pack up everything just to go to the shops etc as we thought we'd have to with a camper van (they are also pretty expensive to hire for a long time!)

It was fab Would do it again for sure, though next time i would take far LESS stuff. Living out of suitcases was a shag and because we'd pack so much it was a pain to keep re packing it. Oh, and you do seem to pick up heaps of stuff along the way
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:18 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
We should have our visas very soon, then sell the business and then we were going to settle in Perth and get a job.

All well and good, you say! But now we have decided that life is too short, the kids are young enough and the dog, once out of quarantine, will love it - we are going to buy a motorhome a travel a bit and see where the will takes us!! Perhaps maybe for 6 months!!

Jayne
Jayne.....

Oh, how I would LOVE to do that!!

Try telling 'er indoors though

Good luck if you do do it!!!!!

So jealous here!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Anyone Travelling First??

We had a very small trip around SA - ie two weeks, nothing on the scale that you are planning. However, it was in a camper van which has its plus points but also some down points. It was great to have the freedom to go where you wanted and spend as long as you like in one spot.

But, we were extremely glad to get into a proper bed and not have to spend an age each night making up the bed. This is because our two kids - 3 & 8 had the best one above the cab. They thought it was great, but once one was awake - we all were awake and this included the middle of the night for a wee!!

It was a great experience and obviously we hired ours, which meant that we weren't allowed on any unmade roads - which did restrict our movements quite a bit. People tell you - GO ON do it... but after 15mins being shaken around like a ball in a large tin can and driving no faster that 10m/h you understand why they don't want you to. :scared:

There was plenty of room for clothes and bits,bu the fridge was quite small.

So I guess my little piece of advice would be to make sure the one you buy is built like a tank and has enough room to swing a cat.

But go for it....and best of luck

Heather
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:14 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Jayne
Hi Jayne

We really want to travel a bit too! And not just once we get there, we want to travel on the way!! Maybe Dubai, China, Singapore, USA, New Zealand now i am dreaming!!

We're thinking of taking our kids out for a year, as you say, life is too short! We are just gonna go with the flow.......
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:30 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I have driven round Aus many moons ago in a kombi and after a while you start to hate the sheer size of the place. It can be and is a great experience, would do it again in a heart beat. but i would like at least 9 months to a year to go right around rather than the 4 months i took in total.
Happy trails
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Jayne
Me and the Hubbie did some travelling last year.

To be honest driving all over may be a bit of a nightmare. Imagine driving from the UK to the Ukraine (without a lot in between) and you'll get a bit of a concept for the sheer size of the place.

We took a lot of internal flights, then hired cars. Visited Darwin, Broome, Perth, Alice Springs and Adelaide(around 4 months). Bought a car and drove from Adelaide around the coastline to Brisbane (took about another 4 months). Money ran out and we have yet to get as far North as Cairns....but we are going to fly from Brisbane. The 24 hour drive has really put us off.:scared:

We had a fantastic time, the highlight for us was the Northern Territory in May...don't know if we could live there at any other time though.

My advice is to fly in and get a camper when you get to each area.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SalSa
Hi Jayne

We're thinking of taking our kids out for a year, as you say, life is too short! We are just gonna go with the flow.......
DO IT

We lived in the States for 10 months and took 4 months travelling home across Asia plus popped into some other countries. Australia is our next adventure!

Just yesterday my daughter who was 12 when we travelled and is now 16 called me to share some news! She had just watched a programme about rich kids and what their parents spend money on. John Travolta was just taking his kids on a world trip (he is a pilot!)

She was so proud because she had already done it (trust me we are not rich)

The moral here is that we have lovely memories. I can't imagine us every having another opportunity to take 4 months off. Go for it. Tara
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:29 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We didn't travel oz but on the way with Emirates we stopped in Dubai, Egypt, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia and Singerpore. We spent 4 months travelling and it was worth every minute. I doubt we will ever get chance to do it again.

It cost 400 oneway for all those stops so how could you not!!!

Jo