Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone toured Australia? Pros n Cons??

Anyone toured Australia? Pros n Cons??

Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile Anyone toured Australia? Pros n Cons??

Hi guys

We are thinking of touring Australia, maybe in a fifth wheeler. Anyone got one, they look quite spacious.

We are looking to tour half of Australia from QLD, up north, Darwin, back through Alice and back up to QLD thru Sydney.

Any advice re where to stop or not.

Are there any good websites?

All help appreciated.

J x
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone toured Australia? Pros n Cons??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi guys

We are thinking of touring Australia, maybe in a fifth wheeler. Anyone got one, they look quite spacious.

We are looking to tour half of Australia from QLD, up north, Darwin, back through Alice and back up to QLD thru Sydney.

All help appreciated.

J x

Hi jacknscoob, my wife and I travelled around oz many years ago in a VW campervan. We had a readers digest motoring guide to Australia book that was a going away present from friends. This book was fantastic as it gave us maps and distances between places of interest plus, a write-up of places of interest at each destination. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

if you don't do the west coast you're missing out on 50% of the most beautiful scenery in the world. (and a lot of nothingness too mind you)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

During some holiday dates, popular places North of Perth like Ningaloo are booked out. Also some camp sites require minimum of one week during holiday periods. So some planning and advance booking may be needed.

We havent toured but plan to in the future. Its very popular as we see loads North of Perth.

Gems
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:41 am
timlux

Hi guys

All help appreciated.

J x
should be good fun, but you're exploring the wrong half !! Sydney is the most overrated city in the world and the weather's crap. I'd do ayers rock/ alice, top end, 4x4 camper across to the Kimberley and on to Broome. then down the west coast to perth and the south west. if you still fancy seeing sydney, i recommend flying there, seeing it and flying on to alice or darwin. And the real fun is off-road.

Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.exploroz.com for lots of advice on where to go / what to see / where to stay
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The English cricket team. Very much cons.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:45 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

We landed in Darwin, did Kakadu - stunnning, then bought a '79 Ford Falcon. We loaded it up with spare wheels on the roof, 2x20 litre jerry cans of fuel and the same of water. We bought a tent, a stove a frying pan and a billy, and we set off for the West coast.

Went to :

Litchfield National Park, arguably more beautiful than Kakadu

Kathering Gorge (lost our camera overboard!)

Lake Argyle - WoW - 50 million gallons an hour evaporates from Lake Argyle, so that will give you an idea of the size of the place. Brendan lost his hat off the side of the boat, and dived in after it - croc infested!!! - idiot!

Then accross to Broome. We were only supposed to stay in Broome for one night, but the place was beautiful so we ended up staying a week.

We then did all the major towns and beaches down the coast, including Monkey Mia, where the Dolphins come to bask in the shallows, and 80 mile beach. We also went to see the Stromatolites, which was a surreal experience. We saw the Pinnacles and Wave rock etc etc.

We then crossed the Nullabor (narrowly avoiding Adelaide - which I now regret)

Then headed back North through Cooper Pedy and Uluru and Alice Springs - all very strange places. After a couple of weeks recovering in Darwin, we headed back down the road to Melbourne, and then up to Sydney.

Our 4 weeks in Melbourne and Sydney do not compare with Broome, Chittering, Darwin or any number of other places we visited. They are both stunning cities and great for a holiday, but I would not change my itinerary for the world, it was the experience of a lifetime, and even now, I would return to the West Coast before I discovered Queensland.

Having said all that, it very much depends on the type of people you are. The west coast is VAST, and the drive between places can be VERY boring. If you prefer something with a faster pace, then the East Coast is obviously better.

Have a wonderful trip, I hope its everything you want it to be.

Nic

P.S. Off road is hilarious fun, and hair raising in an old Ford Falcon thats fully laiden, but be warned - We were stranded a couple of times, and it was only through the generosity of the locals that we even survived the trip. I'm not exaggerating, we were bogged in deep sand on a 'corrugated' road, and we had to pray for a passer by with a 4x4 to tow us out!!! - luckily we got one. Another time our engine blew up. We had $10, a bag of potatoes and a can of corned beef and we were 150 miles from nowhere! On another occasion we needed both spare wheels !!!!!

Last edited by The O'Neills; Sep 12th 2008 at 9:51 am.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
if you don't do the west coast you're missing out on 50% of the most beautiful scenery in the world. (and a lot of nothingness too mind you)
It is the 'nothingness' that makes it 'something' special....
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Thanks for the tips.

How did people go with using the internet whilst travelling.

We have a laptop, can u get a signal when on the road / at campsites? I think I would be lost without the internet for 6 months. Is there a way to get full internet access? And with whom would be a good company to go with.

Also, did many people have a CB radio?

Cheers

J
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

All help appreciated.

J x

A work mate of mine has a "King of the road" fifth wheeler and is massive, be aware of the weight of these 6+tonnes and some you need a heavy good license for,

Good Luck John
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:32 am
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, ExplorOz.com probably has the answers:

http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Co...s/Default.aspx
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:44 am
timlux

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
We landed in Darwin, did Kakadu - stunnning, then bought a '79 Ford Falcon. We loaded it up with spare wheels on the roof, 2x20 litre jerry cans of fuel and the same of water. We bought a tent, a stove a frying pan and a billy, and we set off for the West coast.

Went to :

Litchfield National Park, arguably more beautiful than Kakadu

Kathering Gorge (lost our camera overboard!)

Lake Argyle - WoW - 50 million gallons an hour evaporates from Lake Argyle, so that will give you an idea of the size of the place. Brendan lost his hat off the side of the boat, and dived in after it - croc infested!!! - idiot!

Then accross to Broome. We were only supposed to stay in Broome for one night, but the place was beautiful so we ended up staying a week.

We then did all the major towns and beaches down the coast, including Monkey Mia, where the Dolphins come to bask in the shallows, and 80 mile beach. We also went to see the Stromatolites, which was a surreal experience. We saw the Pinnacles and Wave rock etc etc.

We then crossed the Nullabor (narrowly avoiding Adelaide - which I now regret)

Then headed back North through Cooper Pedy and Uluru and Alice Springs - all very strange places. After a couple of weeks recovering in Darwin, we headed back down the road to Melbourne, and then up to Sydney.

Our 4 weeks in Melbourne and Sydney do not compare with Broome, Chittering, Darwin or any number of other places we visited. They are both stunning cities and great for a holiday, but I would not change my itinerary for the world, it was the experience of a lifetime, and even now, I would return to the West Coast before I discovered Queensland.

Having said all that, it very much depends on the type of people you are. The west coast is VAST, and the drive between places can be VERY boring. If you prefer something with a faster pace, then the East Coast is obviously better.

Have a wonderful trip, I hope its everything you want it to be.

Nic

P.S. Off road is hilarious fun, and hair raising in an old Ford Falcon thats fully laiden, but be warned - We were stranded a couple of times, and it was only through the generosity of the locals that we even survived the trip. I'm not exaggerating, we were bogged in deep sand on a 'corrugated' road, and we had to pray for a passer by with a 4x4 to tow us out!!! - luckily we got one. Another time our engine blew up. We had $10, a bag of potatoes and a can of corned beef and we were 150 miles from nowhere! On another occasion we needed both spare wheels !!!!!
Good point re. 4x4s. It is a serious issue, the Outback is not a lane in Surrey. Offroading with a Falcon probably ain't a good idea. I once had to tow out a local Aussie and his girlfriend who thought they could drive a V8 Commodore through the sand dunes at Lancelin. Der. If you are contemplating going offroad you need a properly equipped 4x4. Landcruiser's make up about 80% of them, then Patrols 80% of the remainder. Forget about the Chelsea Tractors, they're not robust enough and too complicated to get fixed in the middle of nowhere. We have a Hyundai Terracan, which is fantastic value for money, as tough as old boots and great offroad. Particularly good on sand, its an auto V6 which keeps the power on all the time. Preferably travel in convoy. UHF radio is a must, but also take an EPRB (emergency beacon) and maybe even rent a satellite phone. Extra fuel, onboard water tanks etc. etc. "Check-in" with the rangers before heading down a trail and "check-out" with them when you reach your destination. Its something you need to take seriously, don't muck about with it, if you get stuck in the middle of the Outback and nobody knows you're there, the likelihood is you won't get out alive. If you are renting, all the hire companies rent 4x4s, usually Landcruisers. So, be prepared, and enjoy, its fantastic fun.

Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:51 am
timlux

t'internet ???? We can't get broadband internet in one of Perth's prime west coast suburbs ! Have to use a (very expensive) 3g mobile card. There are internet cafes in towns, and you'll be able to use a 3g card where there's a mobile signal. In the sticks, not a chance.