Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone taking their car to Oz ?

Is anyone taking their car to Oz ?

Old May 21st 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough
Default Is anyone taking their car to Oz ?

was wondering if anyone has looked into it ??

we're planning to get a 20ft container....I suppose a car would fit in there we could stuff the car full as well.

Is it worth taking the car ? cars are supposed to be expensive in Oz.
We've got a v/zafira which is only 3 years old. we'd love to keep it.
Would you have to pay customs fees for a 3 year old car ?
Rob
Old May 21st 2007, 8:26 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone taking their car to Oz ?

Originally Posted by robowen

we're planning to get a 20ft container....I suppose a car would fit in there we could stuff the car full as well.

Rob
Have a search, comes up fairly frequently... Generally people find once they've looked into it that unless you have some classic or exotic it's not worth it... Doubt a Zafira fits the bill...!
Old May 21st 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rodders39
Have a search, comes up fairly frequently... Generally people find once they've looked into it that unless you have some classic or exotic it's not worth it... Doubt a Zafira fits the bill...!
care to point me in the direction of a few...cos I cant find any
Rob
Old May 21st 2007, 9:17 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

care to point me in the direction of a few...cos I cant find any
Rob
Hopefully this'll work...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=259219

Old May 21st 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

nope...doesn't work for me
Old May 21st 2007, 10:24 pm
Timelord

nope...doesn't work for me

Well I just clicked on the link and it took me to the search results OK... lots of threads there about cars...
Old May 21st 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Don't bother mate, whats a three year old Zafira worth 8-10k thats 20-25k in Aus, that will get you a nice car and you can worry about a new car after you have settled in.
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

You see a fair few Zafira's out here but not of the new shape (July 2005 onwards) as Holden are not selling this. So picking up a similar model out here should not be difficult. I have also noticed a few Vauxhall badged Zafira's around so some other people have obviously decided that it was worth shipping the car over. Although the car is largely identical to the Holden Vauxhall I don't know whether Holden would service it etc for you as dealers can have a funny attitude towards imports. You'd also have to have modifications done to bring it into line with Aussie standards.

By the way second hand cars hold their value much better here than in the UK so you might not be able to get a comparable car here with the proceeds from selling your current car.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few reasons NOT to bring a car -

- The shipping cost (you will need a 40 foot, not a 20 foot container)
- The import taxes and duties
- The cleaning cost (has to be steam cleaned)
- It will need modifying on arrival to meet Australian standards at your expense
- It will be more to insure as it will be a grey import
- It will have a lower resale value as it will be a grey import.

Summary - sell it in the UK.

Buzzy
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

smokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Is anyone taking their car to Oz ?

Rob
Hi ,are you seriously thinking about bringing the car!!,i am a auto technician, in Perth,WA,we had one in the workshop with the timing chain broke,damage to the top half of engine,etc,bill came to $5000 not joking sell it in the UK, that model is not popular here,sorry.you would have to get an immobliser fitted as well,check out the web site, www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing .good luck.........
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not particulaly bothered about what car we have in Oz, neither do I have a preference to zafira cars....

..I was just wondering if its worth taking it. When you look at the expenses in getting the car to Oz, does it outweigh the costs of getting something similar out there.

It appears not, judging by your responses.
Rob