Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken / taking cats to Aus?

Anyone taken / taking cats to Aus?

Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:01 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone taken / taking cats to Aus?

We have 3 cats but at £500 each to take part of me thinks "we cannot afford that" and the other half thinks "but they are part of the family and it isn't fair on them". Besides the eldest is 10, the next is 9 (has a bit of a sensitive stomach and spent 3 weeks sitting in the window when we moved just a mile 5 years ago) and the youngest is 3 and is bound to wander into the road.. It is a lot of money when this whole thing will be upwards of £10k already. If we rent we may not be allowed them (how long do they stay in quarantine?) Has anyone tried sorting it themselves with an airline etc and saving money? Has anyone taken cats and have any experience to quote?
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone taken / taking cats to Aus?

I'd be interested in knowing too, as my middle son is really concerned Fern won't come with us.

I do have some reservations about the length of journey and also concerns about her being out and about as cats are a relatively new addition to Australia....

Added to the temporary renting of accomodation - we hope to buy at some point, but that involves working and building up some sort of credit rating etc. so of course that's another disruption down the line....

It's weighing up the stress involved for her. I've told middle son we'll take her, but still have worries about whether this is the right decision for her (and whether she might not be better rehomed quietly somewhere fairly local where the disruption is minimal).

TBH I don't think quarantine stay would be too long as UK is a rabies free country (assuming you're in the UK).

Originally Posted by worzel
We have 3 cats but at £500 each to take part of me thinks "we cannot afford that" and the other half thinks "but they are part of the family and it isn't fair on them". Besides the eldest is 10, the next is 9 (has a bit of a sensitive stomach and spent 3 weeks sitting in the window when we moved just a mile 5 years ago) and the youngest is 3 and is bound to wander into the road.. It is a lot of money when this whole thing will be upwards of £10k already. If we rent we may not be allowed them (how long do they stay in quarantine?) Has anyone tried sorting it themselves with an airline etc and saving money? Has anyone taken cats and have any experience to quote?
Old Oct 16th 2004, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

We will be taking our cat when we go (hopefully early next year).

It will cost £1k to Adelaide incl. quarantine, all vet inspections etc.

From the UK they must spend 30 days in quarantine in Oz - home quarantine only in NZ I think.

If we think about it rationally - none of it makes financial sense, but we couldn't leave her.

Be nice to see her in the sunshine for a change!
Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It is going to be harder to leave "Fluff" than some members of my family but I really can't put her through it. She will be 14 1/2 when we leave and the idea of the injections, flight, quarantine - it's just not fair on her. Also concerned about the rental situation and having to train her to come in in the evening - she has a cat flap now and uses it!

I am already stressing about her and we are not going till next summer (UK) time.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Oh (((()Hugs())))

For what it's worth I think you are making the right decision for her, it's a hell of a lot to put any cat through, let alone a golden oldie - but it must have been so tough to make the decision to leave her

Fern is 6 (gosh could be 7 now) and I worry about putting her through it. We don't have a catflap, so she is always in at night, but it's the amount of disruption that worries me!

Sending you karma - not much else I can do!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It is going to be harder to leave "Fluff" than some members of my family but I really can't put her through it. She will be 14 1/2 when we leave and the idea of the injections, flight, quarantine - it's just not fair on her. Also concerned about the rental situation and having to train her to come in in the evening - she has a cat flap now and uses it!

I am already stressing about her and we are not going till next summer (UK) time.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 8:23 pm
STNI to Melbourne

nj_lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a cat and a dog. If we ever get approval to move to Oz (fingers crossed) then we have decided to leave the cat and take the dog. You cannot move to another country for "an outdoor lifestyle" and not take the dog, that would be ridiculous, but the cat is a hunter and would probably get himself killed very quickly. Oz is full of all sorts of creatures that would consider our cat (Jake) as prey and he would try to hunt them!!!

Old Oct 16th 2004, 10:47 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

I can't offer any advice on the actual shipping/ quarantine etc, but if you do a search on here i'm sure it's been mentioned before. However i can say that we currently rent and have a cat out here without any issues. She comes in and out as she pleases and often stays out at night.

In 14 months she has only had one mexican standoff with a possum and the possum was scared stiff.

Unless it's somewhere really rural you intend to live. I personally don't think the cat's personal safety is an issue.

Just my opinion!

Jonboy
Old Oct 16th 2004, 11:16 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

For what it's worth....

We brought our 2 cats to Melbourne ~2.5 months ago. They're 9 years old & seem to be OK so far, probably a lot less stressed than we've been!

We used Airpets (www.airpets.com), who were very helpful, and it cost us about 1200 GBP, I think, for the two. We'd had several recommendations for Airpets, including from a friend who shipped 3 quite elderly cats (14, 14 and 16!) to NZ with them & was impressed.

The quarantine is 30 days (costs about 340 AUD) and here in Melbourne the AQIS quarantine station is staffed by people who genuinely love animals, which really helps. You can visit several times a week, spend as much time as you like in the pen with your cats, and take in fresh chicken, fish etc as treats for them.

As for renting, our rental market here is a little soft at the mo, so pets etc are more negotiable. A couple of the realtors told me that landlords tend to be less concerned about cats, as they are not likely to wreck a house or bark loudly like dogs do!!

We didn't need to rent in the end, as we bought our own house & have now moved in. As we did in the UK, we will make sure our cats stay in from about 5pm each day till 9am next day, to stop them from catching things. They are very happy to sleep on our bed all night & usually snooze there from about 9pm until we get up!

You need to be aware that some councils here have by-laws about cats in order to prevent an impact in the local wildlife. In some areas (eg near bush containing rare fauna etc) you have to keep cats confined to your property 24*7. Other places, they need to be kept in overnight. A lot of people build capacious 'cat runs' which seem to work OK; also there are a lot of 'indoor cats' that seem perfectly happy. Let's face it, most cats are lazy b*ggers who are only too happy to snooze in a nice warm place, given half a chance!

Many councils limit the keeping of cats & dogs to 2 of each per property (which seems quite sensible, esp. in suburban Melbourne!), although you can apply for a special permit to keep more. You have to register your cats & dogs and the Council operates a 'lost pets' register.

There is a great myth that Aussies are rough, tough types who are trigger-happy about shooting cats. While I'm sure this happens (and quite rightly, too) with infestations of feral cats who destroy native wildlife wholescale in the bush, all the Aussies we've encountered love their pets and are just as fond of them as the average Brit. Unlike in the UK, it is a criminal offense for someone to injure/kill your pet, which shows how seriously they take it. Conversely, pet owners are expected to be responsible and mindful of the effect their pet may have on the environment, which seems entirely reasonbale to me.

Good luck with your decision, and do PM me if you need any specific info.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 11:23 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Think about the native birds in Australia as well ...........cats like to kill birds.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 11:30 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rapitts
Think about the native birds in Australia as well ...........cats like to kill birds.
It does depend a bit on the cat: some hunt, others are too darn lazy/well-fed. I've had many cats over the years, and probably only about 50% have actually been out & caught things.

As for wildlife, it depends where you live in Oz. Here in suburban Melbourne, alas, there are no exotic native birds such as Lyrebirds to be seen. Shame - as a birder, I'd be thrilled, even if it meant keeping the cats in a run 24*7. We have infestations of mynahs, which are imported, so not native, and seen by many people as pests.

Anya.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've gone from a cat lover to a cat hater since being here in Brisbane. The amount of wildlife I get in my garden is incredable since the neighbours moved with their cat about 2 years ago. Cats are natural hunters and even well fed cats can catch lizards, birds and snakes if they are patient. I've had some Green Tree Snakes living in my garden for about 12 months, regularly get lizards and bird coming around now. Never had anything like this in UK or NZ but the laws here are much stricter and I really appreciate it.

So do us all a favour and leave your cats behind so you can appreciate the natural wildlife in this country and don't bring in more predators that will turn the landscape into a nogo zone for wildlife like the UK is.

Haven't we introduced enough pests into this country without spending thousands importing more.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Anyone taken / taking cats to Aus?

I have just moved from UK to Sydney with my dog and two cats. I used Air Supply Shipping and they were fine. We were allowed to visit them in quarantine (28 days) but chose not to so they did not get their hopes up each time we saw them. They have settled well, although catch too many newts for my liking and keeping bringing them in the house! I must say found it a bit difficult to rent with pets, mainly cos of the dog not the cats. Once they found out he was a retriever most real estate agents were ok but they expect dogs to stay outside in australia - ours just turned a blind eye to the fact that he is an indoor dog. My cats don't wander off but have no long lasting scars from their journey over here (that we can see anyway). Did not like the 38 deg heat we had much last week but the dog was fine once we bought him a paddling pool. Do want you think is right for your family - remember it's a big upheaval for the kids - do you really want them to cry over a pet as well?
Old Oct 17th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Brought two cats here from Birmingham to Sydney in June of this year. Quarantined for 30 days at Eastern Creek. No problems whatsoever. It was for us the right decision, as our two children would have taken longer to settle I believe if they didnt have their pets. We visited them in quarantine 3 times during their stay, they were very welll looked after and looked cleaner than ever when we picked them up.

They have settled extremely well and dont wander far away from the garden. We get the occasional lizard brought into the house but they have never killed anything. They are 5 year old tabby cats. We are in rental accommodation and our cats were welcome here. We bring them indoors every evening before sunset but not because I am concerned for their safety, I am more concerned for the safety of the indigenous creatures such as possums etc.

I think it cost around 1000 pounds to bring them both over but it was worth every penny, they are a big part of our family.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

I have just had some quotes from both Airpets and Golden Arrow so thought I would share them with you to give you an idea of the costs involved.

shipment of 2 cats- £1193
quarantine- £407.00

PLus costs of microchipping if you haven't had them done yet- our vet charged £30 for each cat for this.

We also have to pay to ship them onwards from Melbourne to Tasmania- £110.00

Both quotes were similar prices so I haven't put them both on.

So in total it comes in at the £1600 mark !!!

Its a lot of money and sometimes I am not sure if I am making the best decision for the cats or the best decision for me but when crunch comes to crunch I just dont think I could leave them behind.

I am also worried about the rental market but from some of the comments on here, it seems that perhaps that wont be too much of a problem.

Good wishes to you whatever you decide