Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken Persian cats to Oz?

Anyone taken Persian cats to Oz?

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

cassie_coo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone taken Persian cats to Oz?

We have 2 Persian cats (7 years old) and are moving to Oz at the end of the year. My partner says that it's a terrible idea to take them with us as a) they will not do very well in the climate and 2) it costs too much. They are house cats so need to stay indoors.

Has anyone else taken Persian cats over with them and how do the cats cope? I'm finding it really hard to even think about rehoming them.... Also, what sort of money are we looking at to take 2 cats over with us?

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:11 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone taken Persian cats to Oz?

Not Persians but 3 cats born and bred in Singapore so we had the opposite problem with the climate. We've only been here 7-8 weeks and they're still acclimatising but in the Quarantine Station they were given electric blankets and I brought them home to microwaveable heatpads so they're doing a lot better than me.

Cats are adaptable, ours have grown their first ever winter coats, yours will be fine.

Being indoor cats is the norm here; some states even have laws against them being out at night.

Cost - well I would have paid anything to bring mine. You will get yays and nays on here but my cats are part of my family and there was no way I was leaving them.

What you do need to think about is rental properties, if that is what you are doing. Depending on where you are going, it can be very tough to secure a rental with pets. Sydney, for sure. Not impossible but may limit your options. (See numerous threads on this.)
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:27 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've brought our cat, a Tonkinese, with us from the UK. Absolutely loved the heat in our first summer here. Used to lie in the garden and "sunbathe".

I don't know why your partner thinks they won't like the climate? Australians obviously have cats too. In any case, if your cats are indoor cats, they won't notice the climate much, will they?

As for costs: we used Airpets and it cost £862 plus $642.50 for her stay in quarantine. If you go on the Airpets website, you can ask them for a quote for two cats: www.airpets.co.uk

Good luck with your move.

Gina
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

There are plenty of LH Cats around so I think your persians will be fine. The only thing I will say is that they will be better as indoor cats, not only for their and the Ozzie wildlifes safety but if they are white cats skin cancer is very common over here. Have a look here for more info on shipping cats to Australia http://tinyurl.com/6kvuwl
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:19 am
Just Joined

cassie_coo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your replies. I think my partner thinks I'm mad for wanting to take them but I'm so attached. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one....

Even though they're indoor cats, we wondered whether it would get too hot and stuffy indoors for them while we're out at work. Obviously, we can't leave the windows/doors open all day or leave the air con on (assuming we get a house with aircon!).

Rental might be an issue though; I hadn't thought about that. Looking to rent first off while we look to buy.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:33 am
Just Joined

givemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nicegivemecoffee is just really nice

Originally Posted by cassie_coo
We have 2 Persian cats (7 years old) and are moving to Oz at the end of the year. My partner says that it's a terrible idea to take them with us as a) they will not do very well in the climate and 2) it costs too much. They are house cats so need to stay indoors.

Has anyone else taken Persian cats over with them and how do the cats cope? I'm finding it really hard to even think about rehoming them.... Also, what sort of money are we looking at to take 2 cats over with us?

My brother has two very grumpy persian cats who live the life of riley in his unit in brisbane. I know he does get them regularly shaved which makes them look very funny and makes them even more grumpy!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:24 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cassie_coo
Rental might be an issue though; I hadn't thought about that. Looking to rent first off while we look to buy.
The solution to that problem is: don't tell !

Gina